Warner bros announce superhero films through 2020

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 15, 2014.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm kinda surprised we'll have to wait so long for Shazam. I figured given the casting news, it would be next out of the gate after Batman v. Superman. I'm not really familiar with Ezra Miller so I can't comment on him as an actor, but my first thought is they've cast yet another young brunette pretty boy as the Flash. Oy.

3. T'var

T'var Ensign Red Shirt

Batman V Superman would be interesting. Gritty ...
    Agreed on the surprising wait for Shazam.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Seems like they keep changing their schedule.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not confident in WB's creative approach to these films, but it is a very good thing to see a slate that definitively includes a female-led solo movie and at least two solo movies (Aquaman and Cyborg) that will have nonwhite leads. Marvel now lags behind in both those categories.

Interesting that their Flash, Ezra Miller, is two years younger than Grant Gustin. They clearly intend it to be a separate continuity, but I wonder if they deliberately chose to go with a similar type of actor due to the show's positive buzz.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, I've never heard of him. But I like that he's an offbeat indie choice, rather than a generic hunk-of-the-week.

I wonder what implications, if any, this will have for the tv Flash.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

So WW is actually going to come out before Justice League? I thought the assumption was that they'd release JL first and then use that as a springboard for all the other standalone movies.

It's definitely cool if it's true, because I think the character deserves to get her own showcase movie beforehand.

And yeah, they really are going young with the new Flash. Not remotely familiar with the actor, but he's going to have his hands full competing with the great new Flash actor on TV.

Surprised to see another standalone Green Lantern movie as well. Even with a new actor and director, I figured that's the LAST character Warners would take a chance on with a standalone movie again.

8. Agent Richard07

The show will continue to be popular while the movie will come and go, assuming it even gets made. Look at what happened with Superman Returns and both Snow White movies.

9. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Good looking WB. May the Old Gods (Norse) and the New Gods smile upon you.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'd be surprised if half of those actually get made.

11. davejames

I have serious doubts about Cyborg and GL, but the others seem very likely, even if they aren't released on the exact dates revealed today.

12. Christopher

Probably none. Since they cast a different actor, presumably they intend to keep the continuities separate. In fact, given that the Flash was the only new character whose casting they announced in the press release, maybe they specifically wanted to make it clear that the movies were separate from the show.

Although, oddly, I saw a press release for the movie announcement describing the Flash as a scientist who woke from a coma to discover he had powers, and I'm pretty sure the coma is unique to the new show. Either the press-release writer got confused, or WB is trying to capitalize on the show's popularity, while still maintaining a separate continuity from it.

13. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I remember Sony had a big superhero movie line up last year too...

14. Captaindemotion

I agree but I've seen a lot of pessimistic comments on the pages of movie sites and pages I follow on Facebook - 'Oh this means that they'll cancel the tv show, WB isn't going to want to invest in two versions of the Flash', 'Why are they rebooting already?' etc.

I don't think that a CN show is going to have much impact on a tentpole movie blockbuster movie and the movie can only help the tv show IMHO but some people think the opposite.

15. Agent Richard07

Smallville and Once Upon a Time weren't cancelled or affected.

16. Captaindemotion

^ I made the same point as you re Smallville on a FB page and got a reply along the lines of 'totally different situation, he didn't even have the costume or call himself Superman in Smallville.'

17. Agent Richard07

^ I see their point and thought of it myself since unlike Smallville or OUAT, both the movie and TV versions of the Flash are probably telling the same story without any twist. I'm still not concerned though. And if they try to make changes to the movie's Flash in order to distance themselves from the show, I'll have even less of a lack of concern.

18. davejames

I'm all for different interpretations, but it's hard to imagine getting the Flash character any more right than they got it with the new TV series. At least when it comes to the sense of fun and the spirit of the character.

Obviously a movie could go a lot bigger with the action and effects, but it's hard to think of anything else that could be improved.

19. Christopher

Just because the fans worry about something, that doesn't mean it's going to happen. It sounds to me like those people are just "fighting the last war," remembering past instances when certain DC characters were "embargoed" in live action TV while they had movies as well. It doesn't look to me as if WB is following that approach anymore.

20. Agent Richard07

I don't know who they could embargo on a Flash series that would be of consequence. The show has already locked down the main character in costume and some major allies/villains.