DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am all for a black Superman, I have no problems with it whatsoever. I would personally just prefer them to make a superhero movie with an already established black superhero. In the last 15 years, we've had a few new interpretations of the Man Of Steel. Just like we had several new ones of Batman.

I'd like something new and fresh instead of another version of something we've seen a lot in the last few years. But that's just my two cents.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

We already have an established Superman who is black.

3. Mage

Yes, I know. But it would still a Superman.

4. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the internet, absolutely. It was one part of a whole wave of whining about characters like Ms. Marvel, America Chavez, Miles Morales, Jane Foster's Thor, etc.

How significant that is in real terms, hard to say, since the internet is basically a massive megaphone for morons.

Although I realize now I'm not sure if you're actually asking about real people or the people in the comics universe itself (I believe there was some backlash there, too, but not a massive amount that I can recall).

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why should it be an either-or question? A film about a black Superman wouldn't prevent WB from doing films about Static or John Stewart or Vixen or whoever. On the contrary -- a successful black-led Superman film would make it more likely that Hollywood would make films about other black heroes.

6. Mage

It would just be an easy tool to get somewhere. I'm done with easy. Let Hollywood/DC man/woman/non-binary up and just go for it. It's easy to make excuses on going for the simply route. Let them make a movie about a non-established black superhero. MCU did GotG and it worked. It's not about the source material but the movie you make in the end.

ichab likes this.
  7. Christopher

You're still clinging to the false dichotomy that the two methods are competing for a single slot. You only hurt the cause by pretending there's some sort of zero-sum competition between different methods of increasing diversity. It's an uphill fight already. Every possible method of improving representation should be used at the same time, in tandem against the real enemy of white privilege, rather than gratuitously pitted against each other. Two people can't push a rock uphill if they start fighting over which one should be allowed to push it.

And like I said -- Superman is the ultimate icon of superheroism. Letting black kids out there see a movie about a Superman who looks like them will be important and powerful in and of itself, even more so than with Captain America. Nobody has any right to say that those kids shouldn't be allowed the chance to experience that. They can have Black Panther and Static and plenty of others, and they should, but they should get to have Superman too. It's not a competition, except against exclusion. The more the merrier.

8. Mage

Yeah..... That's exactly what I said. Totally. :rolleyes: Look man, I know myself better than some guy across the pond I never met could. That's not what I ment, and if you feel you need to shove something down my throat, go for it.

9. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I hope that we get another Cavill or better, another Routh Superman movie before a black Superman. Because I don't think that WB approves two Superman movies with different Superman actors.

10. Christopher

Why wouldn't they? They brought Leto back for the Snyder Cut after Joker came out. They're apparently bringing back Keaton's Batman in the Flash movie while proceeding with the Robert Pattinson version. And the movie people asked the TV people to give Ezra Miller a cameo in Crisis on Infinite Earths. DC is embracing the multiverse.

11. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I want Superman Red/Blue. The ultimate Superman. :)

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

If they are smart they will. The Snyder cut is now the most watched Superhero film in China with 250 million views in less than a week on a streaming platform there. Obviously WB should continue with these established characters and the actors playing them. I doubt we will ever get a Routh movie but a HBO mini series would be nice.

USS Firefly likes this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we were to see Routh Superman in anything at this point, I'm thinking it would probably be in an Arrowverse show, probably a team up with Hoechlin in Superman & Lois or a crossover.
    Isn't that more or less the premise of White Knight?

14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

As I recall, there were some readers who resented the idea of Sam taking on the role, but in the MCU, the "It should not be Sam / has to be Bucky" advocates were loud, and in fact, while Falcon/Captain America and the Winter Soldier was airing, there were some fans still hoping Sam would not become Captain America. Their reasons were so all over the place (i.e., not based on evidence, etc.), that it seemed they were just beating around a particular bush.

theenglish likes this.
  15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That is incredible for a director's cut of a film several years old.

Agreed.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I was referring to "in real life" was there backlash. So, thanks for sharing.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Saul and Captaindemotion like this.
  18. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

LoL! I wouldn’t say Edinburgh comes to mind when I think Gotham. :)

F. King Daniel likes this.
  19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It’s funny that Glasgow was Gotham for Pattinsons Batman

Captaindemotion likes this.
  20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I hope if they make a Joker 2, it’s filmed in Aberdeen