DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

At least visually, judging by the promo art, it takes more from Bob Kane's early Batman comics (with a dash of Timm's TAS iconography, like the way he's holding the cape) than from the new movie:
    [​IMG]
    Caped Crusader is also a more classic pseudonym for Batman as opposed to the more modern Dark Knight.

publiusr likes this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I find it interesting that both productions called The Batman -- the animated series and the upcoming movie -- focus on the same early stage in Batman's career, when he's only been at it for a year or so. Probably a coincidence.

Also the title font is very Art Deco.

publiusr likes this.
  3. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

I am much, much more interested in the new Superman cartoon. Shocking, I know. :p

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Disappointed. Why? Because for months there were strong rumors that there would be a continuation of Batman TAS but I get the feeling we are getting this instead of that. Especially if Bruce Timm is involved.
    JJ Abrams, yeah, so what? He produces everything on HBO Max that is DC related now.

5. Christopher

I admit that Timm's DVD movies in recent years have made me question whether he's still got it, or is just rehashing old glories. Also, the PG-13 movies tend to make it clearer just how much he defaults to sexualizing female characters.

And it has been more than two decades since we've had an animated series focused on Clark, Lois, and Jimmy at the Planet, whereas we've had three animated Batman series in that interval.

The title My Adventures with Superman makes me wonder if it's going to be centered more on Lois or Jimmy than on Clark/Superman. Sort of like how the '40s radio series created Jimmy Olsen to be a viewpoint character for the children in the audience to identify with.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

7. Kai "the spy"

That I could live without.

M'rk son of Mogh and The Realist like this.
  8. The Realist

All that may be true, but what it really comes down to is this:

Yeppers. And the promotional image looks delightful. A light, comedic series focused on the core Superman characters and setting? Yes, please.
    That would work for me, too.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Kai "the spy"

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen Bad Boy for Life, but I loved Birds of Prey.
    Oh right, I forgot Reeves directed Cloverfield, which I love by the way.
    Awesome, I'm a huge fan of the games.
    All of this stuff sounds great.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Bad Boys for Life was a pretty solid action movie.

13. The Realist

Cannot vouch for the source (which is Person on Reddit), but this is supposedly concept art for My Adventures with Superman:

[​IMG]

Same source says the character at far right is a paper girl who works for the Planet, and a member of the Newskid Legion.

Also: red trunks! :techman:

publiusr likes this.
  14. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with you there. Never liked that story.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

To me, she seems like a gabby little scrapper, with a propensity for big words. ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Ovation and The Realist like this.
  16. thribs

Hollywood's hatred for gingers continues. I know they suffer from gingivitis and have no souls but come on. :)

17. The Realist

I will say this: I love the "Injustice" version of Supergirl. I don't do video games, but I've watched some cutscenes online, and everything about the game's Kara is great -- character/costume design, voice actress, animation, characterization, the works. But everything else about the thing looks like a cesspool, its abysmal treatment of Superman most of all.

dupersuper likes this.
  18. thribs

Is it the adaptation of the games or the comics, which I hear is better.
    That's what I don't like with their interpretation of Superman going evil because Lois died. At least Snyder's version had the anti-life equation as a factor as well.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Injustice comics actually got me more interested in comics after a long hiatus because of how convoluted things had become. Injustice gave me a new point to grab on to because it was a different series of events. Superman going "evil" was a further exploration of the theme of responsibility in the use of power.
    Superman didn't just go evil because Lois died. He went evil because the Joker puts Scarecrow's fear toxin in to him laced with Kryptonite. Superman thinks Lois is Doomsday and ends up killing her. Her death also triggers a bomb to detonate and destroys Metropolis.

The story is layered and nuanced and interesting.

20. Christopher

Personally I don't see the appeal of making Superman evil or dark. What makes him a compelling character to me is that he has the strength to resist the temptation that comes with his power. People say villains are more interesting than heroes, but I think villains are simpler because they just succumb to their temptations and flaws, while heroes are more complex because they resist those temptations and flaws. Superman's power is so vast that his restraint and self-discipline have to be equally vast, and I find that tension compelling. Some of the best explorations of Superman's psyche are about that need to maintain control -- the "World of Cardboard" speech in Justice League Unlimited, the "Mine Games" episode of Superboy where he revealed his greatest wish was to be normal and have "the freedom to compromise," this week's Superman & Lois episode where he talked to his son about how the people's trust in him is tested every time he uses his powers. What makes Superman so admirable and fascinating is that he wages that battle every day and wins it -- because he has to win it, since the alternative is unthinkable. He's Atlas carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, except the force he's holding in check is his own.

So stories where Superman fails in that control and just starts killing people... to me, those take away the thing that makes him Superman, that makes him compelling.

dupersuper likes this.