DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Colored?" How are things over there in the 1950s?

But yes, Smallville had a diverse cast of Kryptonians too, including Alana de la Garza, Leonard Roberts, Adrian Holmes, and Crystal Lowe.

FreezeC77 likes this.
  2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

This is all well and good but where is my Superman sequel?

3. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Well sorry. I translated It literally from my native language, I don't mean to offense anybody.

4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

The correct phrase is African Kryptonian. :)

5. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather they just started over with Superman on the big screen at this point. In the meantime, a new cinematic Supergirl will fill the void very nicely. :techman:

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Incredible to think that the announcement that Henry Cavill had been cast as Superman was over a decade ago; 30th January 2011. Seems a shame that he’s only played the role onscreen 3 times (4, technically when TSC comes out, but still).

7. Christopher

Christopher Reeve played Superman 4 times in 9 years, though the first 3 were over 5 years. I think the MCU has spoiled us to expect superhero movies to come out faster.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I meant was that if we saw other members of the El family they would also be played by Latinx actors. Although since Krytonians aren't human, I guess there's no reason race would work the same way it does on Earth, and we could get El family members played by actors of different races.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Indeed - RDJ has 8 Iron Man appearances, not counting post-credit scenes or the like, Evans had 7 Caps plus cameos and then there’s Hugh Jackman with 7 outings as Wolverine, as well as 2 cameos*.

I just find it frustrating that Cavill is the second actor in a row to be extremely well cast as Superman but whose appearances were in films that weren’t universally well-received, meaning we didn’t get to see as much of them as I’d have liked.

*all calculations come with the caveat that I have consumed 1/2 a bottle of wine.

USS Firefly and Anwar like this.
  10. Christopher

Latinx is more of a cultural/linguistic identity than a racial one; it includes people of many different ethnic/racial backgrounds, from white to black to Indigenous and even sometimes Asian (there are significant Japanese-descended populations in Brazil and Peru, for instance). I see no reason Sasha Calle couldn't pass as a blood relative of Henry Cavill's Clark, Russell Crowe's Jor-El, and Ayelet Zurer's Lara. Maybe cast a Latina actress as Alura, say.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize that.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Admittedly I may be misremembering since I haven't seen MoS since it came out and wasn't terribly impressed, but in this version of things aren't all Kryptonians except for Kal-El supposed to be engineered or cloned from some master genetic source, and birthed from tubes? Fairly sure that was a major plot point...

For starters, that makes the concept of a cousin something of a non-starter because neither Jor-El nor Lara would ever have had siblings, because; no parents (insert Lego Batman meme here.) So (assuming they're sticking with this) whoever this version of Supergirl is, she can't literally be Kal-El's cousin, thus any objections raised on the grounds of apparent ethnicity are rendered moot.

And if they're not, who cares? It's not like anyone was raising hell before over the fact that Kara is a blonde and (usually) Jor-El and Lara are dark haired.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Didn't Kamandi spend most of his life isolated in a bunker? He's the superhero for our times! :p

For the most part, you're right. But there were parts of Man of Steel where I felt that he exhibited near Peter Parker levels of angst and self-doubt.

It's interesting how much of this footage I recognize from the theatrical cut. While I'm gradually getting a better idea of which scenes were shot by Whedon vs. Snyder, I'm starting to doubt the people saying that ~80% of the theatrical cut was Whedon reshoots. I'm sure that Whedon's influence can be felt on nearly every frame in the form of re-edits, re-scoring, color timing, or just generally changing the context of the rest of the surrounding scenes. But there's probably more raw Snyder elements in there than people give credit for, even if the Snyder flavor was largely removed.

I'll be interested in seeing how much of the Snyder cut is actual structural changes to the direction of the film instead of changes in tone. Is the Snyder cut a fundamentally different story or just a more Snyder-y grimdark version of what we've already seen?

Does anyone else think that Alana de la Garza would be an absolutely fantastic Lois Lane? I'm not sure what she would play Lois Lane in, but she's exactly what I think of when I picture the character.

Which I've always said is one of the reasons why audiences are so harsh with Superman movies. There's never been a Superman movie that's totally nailed it, even with near perfect casting. And each time a Superman movie fails to hit the target, it increases the pressure on the next one to do so.

14. The Realist

Not familiar with her work (don't actually remember her from Smallville), but a quick Google confirms she definitely looks the part.
    :wtf:

dupersuper, Tosk and Captaindemotion like this.
  15. Christopher

Indeed, he's named for it.

I'm sure you're right. If they were going to reshoot 80% of it from scratch, they might as well have just started over and made a new movie. And it's pretty obvious to me that most of the action stuff is Snyder's.

It more likely means that 80% of the scenes were adjusted in some significant way by Whedon, as you say, by editing or the like. I've heard it said that there are three different versions of every movie -- the one that's scripted, the one that's shot, and the one that's edited. You can transform raw footage profoundly through how you edit it.

I see what you mean. Yeah, that could work.

Well, Superman and the Mole Men was pretty solid, if you can get past the micro-budget makeup and VFX. :D

But yeah, even the first Reeve movie has its problems. It's a weird mix of grounded verisimilitude and Silver Age absurdity. Luthor is brilliantly cast but underwhelmingly written as a supervillain.

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'm afraid Luthor brings that one down, Hackman camped it up WAY too much.

17. The Realist

True. It's actually a great Superman movie, too often forgotten when the character's feature film legacy is discussed.
    Hackman's awesome in the movie, so I dunno WTF you're on about.

18. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it's actiony stuff that often gets featured in the trailers so it stands to reason the recognizable stuff would feature in both. Not sure where the 80% figure comes from, while there's quite a lot of Wheedon stuff in there it's almost certainly not correct when it comes to raw footage. However, I think that what contributes to the feeling that 80% of the movie was reshot is that even in the remaining Snyder scenes there are painfully obvious greenscreen dialogue bits interspersed in. So dialogue-wise at least I wouldn't be surprised if close to 80% of it will be missing in this upcoming version.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The trailers for Star Trek the Motion Picture even made that film look actiony. :lol:

Anwar, dahj and Jinn like this.
  20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Much as I love the 1st Christopher Reeve movie, it's got its flaws. There's a lot of cheesy humor and it doesn't deliver on the kind of action climax that I'd like to see. If you combined the good-naturedness of Superman (1978) with the action of Man of Steel, then I think you'd have the right mix.

Actually more like 90% according to the original cinematographer. But I suspect he's exaggerating.
    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/j...r-joss-whedon-zack-snyder-footage-1202194549/

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.