DC Cinematic Universe ( The James Gunn era)

Christopher Reeve’s son Will is to cameo in Superman as a tv reporter- which he of course is in real life. Love this.

Wow. I didn't make the connection between Will Reeve and Christopher Reeve before today. Now that I'm looking at his photo, I can see the family resemblance.

kGdv7go.jpg
kGdv7go.jpg

8EovwGt.jpg

First looks at Hawkgirl and Guy Gardner

w562lxM.jpg

Great Rao, I didn't even recognize Fillion.

Mr Terrific and Kendra were teammates on the JSA.
Their costumes look like the ones sported by Phantom Girl, Metamorpho and Plastic Man when they became part of Mister Terrific's team The Terrifics. All had the black and white branding. Kendra's is trimmed in gold and Guy's in green, their individual colors.

Those Terrifics costumes translate really well to live action, huh? And if that team's an inspiration, it explains why Metamorpho, Guy Gardner, and Hawkgirl of all people are in this. Metamorpho because he was actually on the team, the other two because they're substitutes for members of the comics team. You'd want to replace Plastic Man since he and Metamorpho have such overlap.

Except that was obviously not the case where The Atlas of the DC Universe was concerned, or that earlier comics panel that initially established the locations of Metropolis and Gotham. That map established that cities like Philadelphia and Baltimore existed, but that Dover did not because Metropolis was in its place.

And it's not the case when comics or other works of fiction establish imaginary foreign countries like Kahndaq or Latveria. The maps always show them as occupying territory that belongs to different countries in the real world, so that the real countries have to be smaller to make room for the fictitious ones. The usual premise is that the real-world places exist except where they don't, because they have to make room for the fictional places that are relevant to the story.
The Atlas of the DC Universe isn't canon. It was created for a TTRPG, so it *had* to nail down locations because you need that kind of specificity for gaming, but the comics always kept it deliberately vague. I doubt there's a single comic that uses the phrase "Metropolis, Delaware." Sometimes, like with the fictional countries you mention, we do see its placement on a map, because sometimes a plot just needs a map view. But, like with those fictional countries, the map views aren't supposed to be taken too seriously. Like, Khandaq might be drawn to occupy part of real world Egypt, but if there was a story about Egypt that had absolutely nothing to do with Khandaq, it'd almost certainly depict Egypt as the actual shape of Egypt, not with a chunk bizarrely cut out.
I agree. I would not be surprised that this is an early version of the costume with the movie ending with Superman wearing a more traditional S.
Or maybe the traditional S will be his original look and the movie will be about him reconnecting with his roots ("Legacy"), symbolized by a return to the old symbol.

kGdv7go.jpg
kGdv7go.jpg

8EovwGt.jpg

First looks at Hawkgirl and Guy Gardner

w562lxM.jpg
Can someone who understands SFX more than I do explain how Superman's costume doesn't disappear if they're using the "bluescreen" effect to render things invisible? Is the shade just that different (I don't see it myself) or is it something else? TIA

I think it as long as it's not the exact same blue it won't affect it.

I think it as long as it's not the exact same blue it won't affect it.

Unlikely, since different parts of the blue suit will be lit differently and appear as different shades. More likely they'll just use a split screen and only apply the effect to the part of the image the stagehand is in. Heck, it's all digital these days, so maybe they'll just hover the cursor over the blue guy and click "select" to highlight him.

Yeah, now that mention a lot of color suits like this blue guy is just to have something easy to pick out, not necessarily about the color.

Yeah, digital mattes are usually done with green chromakey, but obviously that would've been a bad idea against a grassy background.

Back