David A. Goodman responds

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Guest, Dec 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myst123

myst123 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't understand why the writers decided to negate a possible relationship between Trip and T'Pol for this episode. It is clear that now it can be said that the sexual tension between two opposites has been done, so why explore the issue again.

Trip and T'Pol provided the writers with the chance to explore two individuals with built-in prejudice to see if they could find common ground. Not only a male and female, but two species. This situation was so rich with possibility. And instead? We get a pathetic one night stand. We could have really understood what it meant to have two individuals from two species be attracted to each other and to decide to overcome both culture and reality to be together. Instead, we have a woman who couldn’t act partnered with the most gifted actors on the cast. I love this show and I am getting so depressed just thinking about the fact that it isn’t going to make it past this season

An opportunity was thrown away here. So sad. I know you don't care because you don't watch the show. I care, because I do watch the show and like it.

------------------
    Trip/T'Polers - A Trip and T'Pol Shipper's Site , part of The House of Tucker. We live at Scribehost.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Mr. Goodman, it's good of you to check in with us from time to time. Give us some Trek stories that only this series can tell, and you'll have this show back in the game. If you're reading a script and realize that the story could have been done on TNG or VOY, dump it. Also, find someone who likes dogs to write the scenes with Archer and Porthos. These haven't been working for me lately.

Everyone here wants you to be successful.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

you are a brave brave man mr goodman.

but i have to agree with tracy trip.
    for several episodes the characters have gone through some major angst but there is no carry over into the future shows.
    not even a hint of a reference to how the characters are handling things.

t'pol almost has a nervous breakdown in 7th but now everything is fine.

malcolm indirectly is almost responsible for getting he and archer killed

then after singularity i would have liked at least a couple of lines about how the crew is coping., and some of the apologies would have been fun.

and the hoshi has a major psychosis with the transporter and nothing there.

and now trip goes through this and really alot of it was pretty traumatic (knowing that if he didnt get off the ship he would be killed ect) but i bet next week it is as if nothing happend.

and i do have one big request..
    please dont turn trip into another kirk or riker ala tomcat of the universe.

part of his charm now is that he isnt one of the most perfect smoothest person around women when it comes to being intimate.

after reading spoilers for one fututre episode it almost looks like you are turning him into some tom cat whenever he comes into contact with some alien woman.

no matter if they just met.

you can do it everyonce in awhile ala precious cargo but to do it all the time would be boring.

4. ArthurFrayn

ArthurFrayn Captain Captain

If this is indeed the writer of the ep,major kudos for champion cujones & patience, for this foray into the silly,silly, land of bboards.
    While the ep idea was trodden ground(not the worst crime in the world),I thought the business with the alien bowing to T'Pol as Tribunal was a very refreshingly amusing bit of business on ENT.
    So, if that's YOUR bit of business,
    THUMBS UP!!Definite step in the right direction!
    Keep up the good work!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Brain and Brain!! What is Brain??!!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I thought the episode was okay (and a lot of the science was interesting)

BUT when they got to the planet everything fell apart. What happened to the universal translator when Trip was in the water, how could he still understand her? What about bugs, poisonous plants, dangerous animals?

AND the roll in the hay, jeez, that just deflated it for me. It's just been done so much and much better. Especially in TNG. In perfect mate Picard had to refuse to give into his feelings.

And what is so attractive about spoiled brat, stuck up girls anyway? Attaining the unattainable?

Anyway, not to go on too much, but it would have been refreshing and interesting if the interaction between Trip and the Princess had not ended up in a sexual liason.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Not even a yummy donut with sprinkles on it? 'Cause they seem to pass them out with regularity around here...! [​IMG]

I'm afraid I'm in the same camp. While I completely appreciate the classy (and refreshing) tone of Mr. Goodman, those who have gone before him have squandered their opportunity for my viewership one time two many. This from a more-than-35-year-long Trek enthusiast (not some recently-acquired "gusher").

Do we still matter? Some of us don't feel like it. Some of the "gushers" (quotes applied to emphasize the "so-called" aspect of the term) feel we don't and shouldn't matter in the least. They're welcome to feel that way, of course, but like T'Baio, we can't help but wonder whether TPTB feel differently.

7. Xevious

Xevious Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the boards, Mr. Goodman. I think it's great that you can stop by and read the posts occasionally, and that you're taking some of the bashing so well. I can only imagine what would happen if Berman or Braga showed up here. [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the episode. I didn't watch it. I stopped watching about five episodes back, because I personally feel that the formula is tired. I'd like to see a serious attempt at a drama that recaptures the spirit of Trek. Enterprise is nothing more than ridiculous escapism. Which can be okay at times, but every episode just feels like a "filler" episode... just enough to get by so they have enough episodes later to make money. I can't relate or sympathize with the characters as they are, it feels like the crew is a bunch of children out on a pleasure cruise that get into "wacky" situations every now and then. And Unfortunately, the writing just doesn't touch some of the big dramas out there right now. There is no drama, no suspense... the show is too safe.

But, you know, that's my opinion.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for posting, it is reassuring that the Fans have not been completely forgotten about. Even though it feels that way...

I couldn't believe how the gusher turned out for this thread. I read about 2/3rds of the posts when it became obvious that everyone has been humbled into sycophantry by your presence.
    This episode sucked.
    Don't I feel important now? My point is;
    you know it was bad and everyone else (used to) know it was a bad story.
    I've come to the conclusion that the writing staff of Enterprise is subject to the same group think trauma as seen on this board, i.e. "Don't upset the person with access, with power."
    I don't want to scare you away from the boards, I look forward to hearing about the whole process involved with this show...
    I just hope you are able to break this malaise seen in Star Trek very soon; let the chips fall where they may.
    Well, this is too long already, thanks for listening...

------------------
    -valar morghulis

9. John Sullivan

John Sullivan Commodore Commodore

Hey there - watched last night's ENTERPRISE tonight and made it through the whole thing. Great job! 9 of out 10. Flaws were in the obvious: Rick Sternbach wasn't there, and Rick Berman was.

But, so far as the writing (which is what I guess you probably care about) it's very much like something I'd write. So, believe me, that's like the ultimate compliment. Let me know when you all run out of ideas (again - lots of Spec Script writers have loaded scripts ready to go. Unlike most of them, I've promised to do it for free - and if you have to pay somebody, then pick Rick Berman's favorite charity, and send the money there ... perhaps the "Trekkers without lives" support group.

Thanks again. Loved this episode. Hope to see more from you.

------------------
    Exclusive For TREK BBS readers! http://www.liberty72.com/oldscripts.htm - Only Available Through Year's End!

10. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad to see you are still with us, Mr. Goodman.

Overall I enjoyed the episode, but at the same time it did not stand out to me as a great episode, just a fun 42 minutes.

Acting was great I thought. Guest star did a decent job, and was real easy on the eyes [​IMG] Story was ok. Seeing forehead aliens again caused me to groan a bit. The conclusion kinda wrapped itself up a bit too easily and quickly at the end too.

Though I am a fan of tittilation in Trek, this episode actually had the kind of sex-appeal that some people have been crying out for - chemistry between characters.

I'd really like to see more stories with a stronger sci-fi angle to them. Show us some really strange alien life-forms, not just a guy with a bit of plasticine on his nose and forehead. Vox Sola did this, and although the story in that case was a little lite-on, the creature was good to see. Silent Enemy too made excellent use of modern special fx to bring us the first truly creepy TV-aliens since TOS.

Beyond this I'd like to see more TOS themes & referrences, and have the series represent it's premise a little more often (BOTF).

11. where'sSaavik?

where'sSaavik? Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the BBS, David A. Goodman. [​IMG]

Hopefully this will not be your last visit here. I'm sure you wouldn't have time to spend a big part of your day here, but it is nice to see someone who welcomes feedback from the fans. An encouraging sign at least.

Anyway, I did not care for the episode myself. I can't get too excited about most ENT episodes, but this one seemed particularly uninspired. I don't know if that's the script or the story, or maybe both. Maybe you just had a bad day.

I've already commented on the Trip/Kiataama "relationship." Basically I don't mind recycled plots, but it would be nice to get a newer spin on them.

I am wondering, from a writer's perspective, do you find it preferable to write solidly A-plot episodes? It appears that Berman & Braga have decided to forgo the A-plot/B-plot structure typically employed in TNG, DS9 and VOY. Some have speculated that this is due to there being more minutes devoted to commercials than past series. Personally, I miss the added room for character development that structure had. And I frankly am not seeing the benefit of devoting more time to these A-stories.

Anyway, once again welcome. [​IMG]

------------------
    Politics is not just about power and money games, politics can be about the improvement of peoples lives, about lessening human suffering in our world and bringing about more peace and more justice. -Paul Wellstone (1944-2002)

12. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome, David A. Goodman! Enjoy your stay.

It seems like the TrekBBS is the place to be if you want to interact with folks in the know! [​IMG]

13. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

I think we scared him off. And by "we", I mean, "you guys". Way to go, people! [​IMG]

14. John Sullivan

Let me tell you in no uncertain terms, all you ass-kissers (No, FalTorPan, I'm not talking about you) who can say "Screw Dennis Bailey" in the same breath that you say "Oh Lord God Let Me Melt In Front Of An Enterprise Insider, Mister I'm Not Worthy Goodman!" - I've met a lot of Star Trek insiders, and like every one one of them. Never have I actually met anyone at Paramount Pictures I didn't like (but let me clarify that I've never met Rick Berman).

Truth is, the people in the know about most things are on this board, and not in the Star Trek scriptwriting department (yeah, I'm talking about you, Bormanis).

I'm just happy as hell to see someone from the show get out here into the real world, the place where we get it! .

If given the choice to spend dinner with Rick Berman and Brannon Braga or either Samuel T. Cogley, most of the Moderators here, or Dennis Bailey - I assure you - I'd MUCH rather spend time with people on this board. Again, glad to see one of them get a clue.

------------------
    Exclusive For TREK BBS readers! http://www.liberty72.com/oldscripts.htm - Only Available Through Year's End!

15. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Just remember, I don't put out on the first date, unless you're very lucky. [​IMG]

------------------
    Lucky. Very lucky.

16. John Sullivan

[​IMG]

Yeah, bro. I was just talking about how much it was going to cost me (taking B&B to dinner vs. the Real World) -making the assumption I'd have to pay for dinner [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by John Sullivan (edited December 13, 2002).]

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gee, then all those girls are lying? [​IMG]

Thanks for coming by and answering our questions, Mr. Goodman. And congratulations. [​IMG]

------------------
    Official Good Will Ambassador From The Ninth Circle Of Hell
    Subspace - An Enterprise & Star Trek BBS

18. static warp bubble

static warp bubble Vice Admiral Admiral

Dennis wants to know if you like him "like that". [​IMG]

19. Archer4Trip

Archer4Trip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Let's tone it down a tad, ok? Being polite to David Goodman while either appreciating his work or critiquing it doesn't make someone an "ass-kisser." I didn't see any insults to Dennis in this thread, so I'm not really sure how this comment is relevent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.