News Coronavirus Pandemic Information and Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Feb 1, 2020.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Tasmania has been 60 days without a new case and almost as long without an active case. Our borders are closed except for returning Tasmanians and essential workers. If Tasmanians are returning from other states they have to quarantine in their home unless they have been in Victoria and then they have to quarantine in a hotel set up for that purpose.

Tasmania is lucky because a) because being an island we only have to control our flights and the overnight ferry b) Tasmania does not have any international flights. We do technically have an international airport but the only international flights that has ever seen were to and from New Zealand and those flights were cut out a few years ago.

Our tourist industry, which is one of our most important industries, has suffered terribly.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    KimMH and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  4. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    These are companies looking to cash in on a panicked population looking for something that was in short supply. QC is not part of their culture.

Worf factor9 likes this.
  5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

6. think

think About it! Premium Member

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know about the other provinces in Canada, but today most of Ontario is entering phase 3.

KimMH and think like this.
  8. think

think About it! Premium Member

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

As @Owain Taggart mentioned above, most of my province entered into phase 3 on Friday. Effective today (Saturday), our regional medical officer of health has mandated mask usage in indoor public areas. At present, this is an instruction issued through the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, but it is expected that city council will pass a similar bylaw as early as this week.

It will be interesting to see how the community reacts. The mask usage I've observed from week to week at the grocery store has varied, but I think it usually averages out around 20%, and has never exceeded 50%.

On Friday, our city had one new reported case, and on Saturday, our second day in phase 3, we had two new reported cases, bringing our current active cases to 595. According to our local hospitals, our number of hospitalized cases is less than five. According to regional health unit data, 21% of all cases in the region involve people in their 20s, and 17% involve people in their 80s.

think likes this.
  10. Owain Taggart

I thought that was a provincial order? Because ironically, that order became effective the same day our district had announced being Covid-free, so we've been wearing masks in public places even while our district doesn't have any active cases, which still hasn't changed. The one thing is, it's not strictly mandatory as stores aren't allowed to turn away anyone who doesn't have a mask, even though most stores are providing some.

It will be really interesting to see how things play out with Phase 3. Restauraunts are allowed to offer indoor dining again, and gyms and movie theatres are allowed to re-open in limited capacities, but the interesting thing is, Cineplex, the largest movie theatre chain in Canada says it isn't ready to open yet because they've yet to figure out how they'll operate. I can see why, as they're limited to 50 people at any given time, and being that they're a multiplex chain, 50 people is just not going to cut it when trying to run a such a large business requiring lots of investment in time, not to mention the expense in running a large building. Everytime I'm in that area, I keep looking at their parking lot thinking they should set up a drive-in on the side of their building. The parking lot is big enough for cars to be spaced out, and the side of their building is big enough to project onto with a few modifications to make it project better, ie neutral surface, and I think if they could offer both indoor and outdoor viewing, they'd be in a better position.

11. Avro Arrow

I'm not aware of any provincial order... last I heard, the provincial government was not planning to implement such an order, and was going to leave it to the individual regional health units to determine their best course. (Although the Ministry of Health is of course recommending mask usage.)

I did some Googling, and if you fall under the health region that I thought you did, it looks like your order did come from your regional health unit. (I don't want to identify it, since I'm not sure if you want that to be public, and I'm not really sure I have the correct health unit anyway. :) )

Our order does have exemptions, but it is apparently mandatory, and they do note that:

One unusual thing about our order: they announced it Friday, and it came into effect on Saturday. They had previously issued an order requiring masks on public transit, but they gave us *two weeks* warning before that comes into effect, so the public transit one actually comes into effect on Monday, two days after the indoor public spaces one, even though it was announced much earlier.

I could say that I am certainly not ready to go into a restaurant or a movie theatre, but to be honest, I rarely did that even before the pandemic, so it's kind of a hollow assertion.

12. Owain Taggart

Yeah, thanks. Although I'm sure it was fairly easy via process of elimination ;) And you're right. I might have confused the provincial level health agency with the regional unit. Easy to confuse when everything is always changing.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  13. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

15. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

16. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:)

Had one as a "pet" when I was a kid, his name was Bandit.
    And yes they do wash their paws in that way.

After he matured he started to try to bite me when I fed him, and I have the scars to prove it.

I let him go back into the wild, instead of turning him into a pelt.

Gary Mitchell and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  17. Owain Taggart

So, today my district which was previously declared covid-free, now has a new case bringing my district up to 68 cases, a kid under 19 who traveled.

18. Avro Arrow

As expected, our city council passed a bylaw today requiring masks or face coverings, which must cover the nose, mouth and chin, in indoor public spaces. Fines for non-compliance range from $500 to $100,000.

19. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's good. I'm so tired of seeing people wear masks but have them under their noses.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  20. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I do see lots of people not wearing them properly. Some likely wear it for a bit and lower it to below their nose when they feel they need a breather, and not realize that having the nose exposed makes one vulnerable. I've even seen it via a store employee, and I feel some even wear masks that are too small for them.

Avro Arrow likes this.