News Coronavirus Pandemic Information and Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Feb 1, 2020.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Coronavirus is just the family name. Do you remember the dangerous SARS virus that spread a few years ago? That one was from the same Family. It was CoVid 1 (Corona Virus Desease 1). The current one is CoVid 2. Hence the "new".

Over here, in the weekend the police had to deal with flashmobs of several hundred people without masks or personal distance claiming the virus was harmless and the government just trying to suppress people.
    Oh man! If Covid2 was a brain virus, these people would have nothing to fear...:brickwall: Unfortunately, everyone has lungs. The hospital staff replied promptly that they were overworked to the point of exhaustion but if the protesters insisted in breathing through a tube while lying on their stomachs and dying all alone without friends and relatives they'd of course do more overtime and be there for the protesters as well.
    A perfect reply imho but with these brainless idiots it's thowing pearls to the pigs. They simply don't have the intelligence to realize the truth.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. So why not just call it new? "Novel" just sounds too weird. I can't get the word "novelty" out of my head when I see people call it that.

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  3. think

think About it! Premium Member

4. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

The financial world order could be changed because of covid-19.

KimMH likes this.
  6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Why would you try and get the word "novelty" out of your head when thinking about something new and original, because that's exactly what it means? Just because the word novel can be associated with new things that are pleasant doesn't mean it's being used incorrectly in regard to new coronaviruses, or that it's some obscure and needlessly complex word; it's in pretty common usage.

"Novel" is the World Health Organization's standard terminology for new pathogens from a previously known family of viruses. There are lots of coronaviruses (so named because they are surrounded by a halo or "corona") and each time a new one is discovered it is referred to as a novel coronavirus until it is given a formal name.

Previous tradition had been to name a new virus after first outbreak locations, discoverers, or animal species the virus was spread from, but the WHO found that could be stigmatizing and counterproductive, like the people using "Wuhan Flu" or "Chinese Flu" as an excuse for discrimination and crimes against people of Chinese descent or theirr businesses.

CorporalCaptain, KimMH and Avro Arrow like this.
  7. rhubarbodendron

8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

So. Did the usual weekly grocery shopping this week. Care to guess how many other shoppers were wearing masks this week? Throughout my time at the store, I saw a grand total of two others. And it's not like the store was deserted or anything; it was pretty much at its regular level.

I know from everything they've told us that wearing a mask doesn't protect the wearer that much, but it does help protect others if the wearer is carrying the virus but asymptomatic. So I *thought* the social contract was, I'll wear a mask to help protect you, and you wear a mask to help protect me. And if we all do that, then we'll all have a better level of protection than we would otherwise. But how effective is it if only a couple people here and there are actually doing it? Is it still worthwhile for me to consider doing so, when hardly anyone else seems to care?

Our premier is talking about starting to open things up in the very near future. If the majority of people aren't even willing to make this minor adjustment to help minimize risk moving forward, then I don't expect our reopening will go very well at all, and we'll probably all be back in full lockdown sooner rather than later.

9. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what I thought too. I had to go to the store today but here at least half of the people were wearing masks. The store has the aisles marked to go one way only but I think that I was the only one paying attention to the arrows.

KimMH and Avro Arrow like this.
  10. rhubarbodendron

over here it's just the opposite: people do wear masks but they don't keep to the distance rule. Both have to be attended to in order to get at least some security.
    Tempers are getting frayed and quite a lot of distance-ignorers are getting reported to the police and fined.

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Very hard to get masks here in Glasgow, but at least when doing the once a week shopping people are staying away from each other as much as possible...so that is something, although i only go once a week first thing in the morning to my local store at 8am, and usually there are about 8 people in the queue standing well apart, and i am in and out dodging everyone i can as if they were erupting fire from their being. lol

12. rhubarbodendron

Would homemade ones suffice? I am not quite certain what restrictions there are atm for parcels and letters but I could try to send some if you PM me your address and favourite colour and style (simple square mask or an anatomically fitting one? With or without aluminium nose clip?). Might take a while, though, as even under normal circumstances German mail is legendary for its slowness.

13. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you for the offer but we are still in lockdown here in Scotland and i only venture to the shops once a week so it has not been a issue, but when it does i think your suggestion of homemade ones is very good, and luckily i have family just along the road from me and she is a master with the sewing machine, but thank you for the kind offer. :)

Continue to stay safe everyone.

14. rhubarbodendron

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Terminology is standardized so that all researchers around the world use the same word to reference it.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Virginia enters Phase One reopening tomorrow. We'll see how this goes. But it won't be smooth.

17. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Good luck and stay safe.

Avro Arrow, think and cooleddie74 like this.
  18. cooleddie74

You too. You're closer to Northern Virginia than I am, aren't you?

think likes this.
  19. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Thank you, but I’m in Michigan. Our stay at home order is in place until the 28th. Our numbers up north are extremely low, but we’ve lost about 4K down in the Detroit area. The density of the cases increases the further South-East you go; it seems to be concentrated in the most densely populated areas.

think and cooleddie74 like this.
  20. cooleddie74

I don't know why I thought you live somewhere in Virginia.

KimMH and think like this.