News Coronavirus Pandemic Information and Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Definitely rare... the article itself says there are only 200 known cases so far across the US and Europe. But if you're a parent, are you willing to take that risk with your children? (General "you", not you specifically.)

And yes, there's still a lot we have to learn, as with COVID-19 in general. The CDC appears to believe that MIS-C is associated with COVID-19, though.

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2020/han00432.asp

Gary Mitchell and Worf factor9 like this.
  2. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yes, they would, because it's fewer than would die in car crashes on the way to school. It's well within the threshold of the amount of risk we've been living with for decades without cancelling school. And, I can plainly see when I stroll around my neighborhood young kids playing with each other without distancing, which parents are okay with, because socialization is a child's basic need, and they've decided that outweighs the measured risk. And add in all the precautions schools are going to be using when they reopen, the added risk factor from Kawasaki-like reactions is nearly zero above the current risk.

And, now that we know about it, parents will start rushing to the hospital the moment they see red skin rashes, so it's more likely to get caught early.

4. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Things are looking pretty bad in South America. Ecuador is being hit hard while Brazil looks like it is set to get worse.

5. Lt.Smokey

Lt.Smokey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am definitely not one one of those "it's just the flu" folks. But for kids, flu actually does kill about 100 kids a year nationwide. I'd imagine quite a few of those are infants, though. My concern is more about kids becoming super spreaders, but agreed there is a lot we don't know, and it's scary that we have to learn as we go about reopening everything.

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting, but I still don't really understand why there would be such a wide discrepancy. I mean, taking the States as an example, I'd assume they'd be very similar to us in terms of female PSWs and long-term care. It's maybe just a thing that they're not reporting. Our reporting in Canada has been pretty detailed.

If anyone's curious about the 1918 pandemic, here's a great read:
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...al-pandemics-separated-by-a-century-1.4937256

I find it really interesting hearing how many similarities the two share, both in terms of the rules put in place, public reaction and the pathology of the viruses. One big difference in 1918 was that it was being faught in parallel to WW1, and I've read elsewhere that because of that war, it might have been less documented than it should have been due to the attention being on the war, despite the fact that it was soldiers coming home from the frontlines after having been stuck both in trenches and ships and bringing it back with them.

7. Avro Arrow

Speaking of school reopenings, Ontario announced today that schools will be staying closed for the rest of the school year, with plans to reopen in September.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...s-ontario-may-19-school-year-update-1.5574966

Quebec reopened their elementary schools last week (except for Montréal) to fairly widespread criticism. I've had trouble finding numbers regarding attendance rates. One English-language board in western Quebec seems to have about 14% attendance, but this was based on the number of people who registered to attend.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...back-leaving-quebec-school-with-class-of-one/

This article talks about a couple schools with higher return rates: one in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu had about half the students intending to come back, and the other in Quebec City had about two-thirds.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-...asis-on-physical-distancing-hygiene-1.4933612

Quebec secondary schools, on the other hand, are closed until the fall.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Our city decided to continue fare-free public bus service until at least the end of this month, extending the period where passengers don't have to pay an additional 15 or so days. I was happy to hear this. Right now a lot of people are finding free bus service very practical and helpful in going about the things they have to do in the middle of this pandemic. It's always possible the deadline will again be extended but even if it isn't my city will have had more than two months of free bus service for its citizens.

And it's refreshing to see that most riders are obeying social distancing rules. People are being responsible or at the very least trying to be.

Gary Mitchell, KimMH and Avro Arrow like this.
  9. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah i think school wise they seem to be doing the right thing by keeping them closed for some time more just to err on the side of caution, so i hope here in the UK, well up here in Scotland at least, and with the actual school holidays only four weeks away, that we also decided to keep them closed and not open them on June 1st, not while we have politicians stating schools are safe to reopen on June 1st, but with the next breath stating that there are risks, so just so many mixed messagess from them it's no wonder parents are revolting over this.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  11. Avro Arrow

Our Chief Public Health Officer has now changed our official guidance on the wearing of non-medical face masks. Originally, the guidance was that seemly-healthy people were recommended to not wear masks. Then, in early April, the guidance was changed to say that it was OK if people wanted to wear masks. As of today, they are officially recommending that Canadians wear non-medical masks in situations where they cannot guarantee 2 metres of distancing at all times.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/it-s-now-recommended-that-canadians-wear-face-masks-1.4946752

On my personal shopping observation this week, masks seemed to be a little more prevalent than they were last week, but still nowhere near even 25% of the shoppers I saw. This was before the new recommendation would have been widely disseminated, though. We'll see how this change affects things next week, if at all.

Haggis and tatties and KimMH like this.
  12. EmoBorg

Can the coming summer slow down the Pandemic ?

13. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well thankfully it has just been confirmed here in Scotland that the schools won't be opening in June 1st, and they will take at look at the situation in August, so that gives the summer holidays as another barrier to err on the side of caution, which in my view is the right thing to do.

Avro Arrow, KimMH and MrPicard like this.
  14. EmoBorg

15. Avro Arrow

So there's been a bit of a disconcerting trend. Ontario's Stage 1 reopening, which started on Tuesday, was planned because the number of new cases was slowly decreasing. However, our cases have actually risen over this week, with 441 new cases being reported today... the highest number we have seen over the last two weeks. Due to the incubation period for COVID-19, they are saying that most of these patients were probably infected prior to the initial reopening on Tuesday.

Premier Ford had said on Wednesday that he would roll back the reopenings "in a heartbeat" if we started to see new cases spiking again, but so far, there has been no announcements of any modifications to the current plan.

Ontario sees highest new COVID-19 case count in 2 weeks, testing falls short again

Ontario premier calls highest jump in COVID-19 cases in two weeks 'concerning'

16. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Just learned from German news that the infection of seven people has been linked to a restaurant in Lower Saxony, despite the place following the new guidelines. Fifty people that also were in that restaurant are now in home quarantine, awaiting further testing.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

And if that weren't enough, now there's a situation in Frankfurt (Main), where after a service at a Baptists' church there are 40 newly infected people. Again, they say the guidelines have been followed.

18. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

Yeah, the whole "let's re-open restaurants and churches ASAP" thing is going just wonderfully... not.

Random_Spock and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  19. JirinPanthosa

All my friends are talking about getting together socially distantly in kayaks.

So I am definitely buying a kayak.

20. JirinPanthosa

A lot of churches opened up at low capacity though. Is it just that one place, or is it a common thing?

If it's just that one place, I suspect somebody messed up and is lying.