College Football 2011 Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

My dad's a MSU alum. He had a ball watching that game and kept singing a parody of "On Wisconsin"- "Down, Wisconsin, down Wisconsin, why don't you give up?" :lol: I wish I remembered all the words.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, I meant Wisconson. Still, the point remains there were two big upsets in the top 10 over the weekend.

As for the new standings, still really looking forward to November 5th, even though I wish Stanford had moved up more.

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

You aren't kidding! That Oklahoma upset was particularly huge, given that it ended a 39-game home streak. Nice of Tuberville to keep referring to that controversial mish-mash from 2004. :p

I pretty much like where the AP standings are at the moment: link. Of course, they're pretty much moot when the BCS standings come out. For the moment however, it's hard for anyone to argue against the top 5 at least.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

BCS standings actually come out Sunday nights, but the top 7 teams in the BCS are the same teams as the Top 7 teams in the AP (just in different orders).

5. tighr

People have short memories. They're probably thinking back to last season, where the 10-1 Cowboys lost to the 9-2 Sooners, losing a chance to win the division. or 2009, when the 6-5 Sooners beat the #11 9-2 Cowboys in a shutout, spoiling OSU's chances at a BCS berth. Or any of the six other games in the Bedlam series before it.

I'm an Alabama fan, but just so you know I'm not an SEC homer, my parents live in Tulsa now and my ex-gf went to Okie State. I was actually at the 2002 game where the Cowboys beat the Sooners in Stillwater. The fans rushed the field. It was awesome. They haven't beaten OU since. The series stands at 82–16–7.

To shake off that "little brother" status, OSU is going to have to win a few more games against OU.

6. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I hear you, tighr. You're correct, sir. No doubt about it. They've just got to beat OU this year. If they don't, they'll never shed it. They're playing with such confidence and the defense is encouragingly improved. Bend, don't break. OSU creates those turnovers and the stats are genuinely misleading. The sports section had a huge piece today on whether the Sooners could still win the national title. Nothing about Oklahoma State's legitimate chance to play for the title for the first time since 1947 when they were Oklahoma A&M. No excitement or speculation. Just an article bemoaning the Sooners' diminished chances. :scream: sigh Typical. My dream is to beat Les Miles' in the title game for reasons that you could guess. I don't expect that to happen. I know that LSU is better, but it would be so delicious. Hey, if Tech can beat OU at home anything is possible. :lol:

And the line for next week's games are already out. I haven't heard O-State's (of course) but the line for the Sooners has been broadcast. They're 14 point favorites to beat undefeated K-State at Manhattan. :vulcan: I'm sure the Wildcat faithful appreciate that.

7. tighr

Probably the exact same reason LSU wants to beat Bama every time they play, I'd imagine :lol:

Okie State is -14 1/2 over Baylor. OU is favored -13 1/2 over K State because frankly they're probably going to beat K State.

8. Dorian Thompson

Probably. But they've looked so bloody anemic the past 2 weeks I'm shocked that it's 2 touchdowns. I expected one at most. I would have said they were probably going to beat the far less talented (than K State) Tech but they didn't. Tech lost its center during the first drive of the game.

9. Neroon

I know. That's just the point, that it doesn't matter much when the AP rankings come out, it's the BCS standings that matter the most

10. Neroon

Anyone take in the Okie St game today? The voters had better be paying attention to these guys, because they are looking awful like one of the most complete teams out there

11. Dorian Thompson

Why, yes. Yes, I did. :D People still aren't taking O-State seriously, but I'm telling you the defensive stats are misleading. Once again, bend but don't break philosophy is working for this unit of good, but not supremely physically talented defensive players. The first team defense (who didn't play the entire 4th quarter, which Gundy's been doing a great deal of this season) only gave up 3 points. It was 49-3 at one point late in the 3rd. Plus, this defense is number one in the country in turnover margin. I'm not guaranteeing a national title but, if they can get over their mental block about the Sooners, they have a legitimate shot. Of course the local media is now back to swooning over the Sooners and their chances of a title since they beat K State today. O-State winning one instead is their worst nightmare.

Tech losing 41-7 on its home field tonight against that powerhouse Iowa State won't do the Sooners any favors in the computers. :lol:

EDIT: Here's a stat that demonstrates perfectly how bizarre this defensive unit is. Near the end of three quarters (against Oklahoma State's 1st team defense) the Bears trailed 49-3; that's 7 touchdowns scored to a measely field goal for Baylor. They ended up "only" losing by 35 points because Gundy put in the 2nd and 3rd team defense for the entire 4th quarter. Why is that bizarre?

Baylor never punted.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still haven't seen Oklahoma State play. All I ever get are SEC, ACC, and Notre Dame on TV.

13. chineserapper05

chineserapper05 Captain Captain

and once again, the aggies blow another double digit lead in the second half. :brickwall:

14. tighr

That's because of the TV contracts. The Big 12 plays on one of the Fox Sports Networks (FSN or FX, etc). Rather hidden on the schedules.

The SEC is the exclusive domain of CBS and ESPN, which explains why you get to see their games so much. Notre Dame has a contract with NBC, so they are on every other week. ABC plays games of the week, which feature some of the best match-ups. Oklahoma State beating up on Baylor wouldn't exactly be considered a "good matchup".

I'm frankly surprised that Fox hasn't added network games. Every other network plays. Plus, they just lost the rights to the BCS bowls to ESPN (which used to be exclusively broadcast on Fox). If they had a few regular season games, their BCS credibility might have been a bit higher.

15. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Insane. Are they not as fit as other teams, or what is it?

First College game i matched with over time. Liked the format, actually.

Morover, how come the recievers dropped more balls than what whould be possible?

16. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I watched Oklahoma State vs Baylor, but I turned it off at 28:0 because I was kind of tired and bored. ;) Very impressive though, they looked unstoppable against a team that I don't think was awful. College football is a lot of fun, the atmosphere seems far more entertaining to me on tv than NFL, and the games are more unpredictable too.

17. Dorian Thompson

That's exactly the problem. A&M isn't as well conditioned physically. They wear out.

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

That USC/Stanford game was pretty epic.

I went into it with no illusions that SC was going to win, but they sure gave Stanford all they could handle. Triple overtime!

Great game...until the end...

:scream:

19. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the state of the season for Tennessee, I only have one thing to look forward to (well, there's beating Vanderbilt and the requisite beating of Kentucky): LSU better beat the hell out of Alabama. Because, you know... fuck 'Bama. :devil:

Holy hell Wisky, you guys got hosed hard two games in a row. :wtf: Poor Russell Wilson, bet he never thought his season would go like this.

Also - the greatest coach in football (and second greatest in sports) has Penn State as the quietist 1-loss team in the country. Hard part's coming up though.

With apologies, but as a Kiffin hater... Hurrah! :devil:

That said, it really was an awesome, awesome game.

20. tighr

Yep. And that one loss came from -- You guessed it -- Bama!

Rammer Jammer, Vol fan.