Casting for Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Horta, Feb 1, 2018.

1. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

I always wanted to see Seven in a uniform. I understand why she didn't wear one, but something other than the cat suit would have been preferable imo. She looked very cool in Relativity.

2. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Totally agree about Beltran and Wang. Their acting was blank and in last seasons, completly phoned. Another actors choice, who were able to bring soul and passion to their characters, would have been better and a great addition to the current casting. Of course, there is the question of chemistry between other actors and the characters but well, I see no reason why it wouldn't work...

As for Jeri Ryan, she is surely cute and sexy but her performance was surpringly good and for that, I would have kept her.
    -> Janeway/Seven's relationship was for me, one of the highlight moments of the show, while actresses didn't get along very well!

3. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

A recent thread discussed this fairly extensively. Go to the second or third page. Suffice to say, it's a pretty involved question, and answering it here could really hijack the thread.

I don't know if anybody here knows who Richard Chaves is, but I remember reading at the time that he was on the short list for Chakotay. He's a Native American actor who played Lt. Col. Paul Ironhorse in the first season of the War of the Worlds series. He's both older and less physically imposing than Robert Beltran, but I understood that there was some thought of making the Chakotay character more of a "wise older mentor" type rather than Janeway's contemporary. That would certainly have changed the series!

4. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Richard Chaves was in Predator. That would have been very different. I didn't know he was native American.

Qonundrum and Brennyren like this.
  5. Gul Sengosts

Gul Sengosts Commander Red Shirt

For the most part, it was bad writing that let them down, not bad acting or casting. There was potential in most characters, maybe not that much in Tom and Neelix and Kes.

Well, there was no potential in Harry. He just sucked.

6. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

Yes, he's half-Cherokee, with the other half being Scottish. A friend of mine who was a fan said his mother -- the Cherokee parent -- had been involved in NA activism at some point. Richard did end up getting a small guest spot on Voyager, as the chief of the Rubber Tree People in "Tattoo."

Inclined to agree, though I thought Beltran pretty much admitted to phoning it in during the latter part of the series?

I don't know about Neelix or Kes, but Tom actually had some character development! He was more of a reckless and brash guy at the beginning of the series, but matured by the end.

Betelnut likes this.
  7. Horta

Horta Lieutenant Red Shirt

I agree, I thought Tom was really developed into a likeable character. he showed some vulnerability with his father, and he helped Belana work through the issues she had with her father. Paris' character evolved into a mature, empathetic, responsible man that you could depend on and everyone respected.

Brennyren likes this.