Spoilers Captain Marvel - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.9%
  2. A

20.5%
  3. A-

18.9%
  4. B+

23.0%
  5. B

13.9%
  6. B-

4.9%
  7. C+

2.5%
  8. C

6.6%
  9. C-

2.5%
  10. D+

0.8%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0.8%
  13. F

0.8%
  1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

That is uncalled for. Comments to PM

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Deleted scene that's a great callback to Terminator 2. I sooo wish this was the scene we got in the final film.

3. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I need a bike. Conveniently, there’s a rider who’s really obnoxious, which makes it cool to steal from him.

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It was cool when Arnold did it. I wonder what the difference could be.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    BeatleJWOL and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The accent, of course.

Gov Kodos likes this.
  6. Gov Kodos

Accent one: Guy gets in the grill of some jackasses and hands them their asses- Cool!
    Accent two: Jackass gets in the grill of a woman and she hands him his ass- The poor guy!

SolarisOne and Anwar like this.
  7. Captrek

Arnold’s character is a machine that isn’t supposed to have a moral compass.

8. Gov Kodos

Poor woobie.
    Arnold beats up some jackasses- Cool.
    Jackass gets beaten up by a woman- Oh My GODDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you think I find your opinion ridiculous you'd be right. If you think I will entertain your manpain, no.

9. Mr. Adventure

I didn't think I needed a smiley on that.

10. Gov Kodos

I rather liked it. I should have hit that like button to begin with. Sorry that came across having a go at you.

11. Captrek

I find your attempt to psychoanalyze me ridiculous. It is not an accurate representation of what I posted or what I think. Maybe you should check my posting history before spewing this nonsense.

USS Firefly likes this.
  12. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

How a reasonable call for more representation was warped into an attack on white men by YouTubers trying to appeal to their audience.

Anwar and Turtletrekker like this.
  13. Mr. Adventure

At least Arnie got to prove himself in a bar full of badass bikers, Brie got stuck with some schlub going to a strip mall surf shop.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Before we get too righteous about this, do remember that this is a deleted scene that was possibly cut because of how it made Carol look.

And now that I've seen it, I realize that I've seen it before. This was the very first scene filmed, shot simply so production could be officially started before a California state tax-break deadline. The production then took a two month break before beginning the actual shoot. Footage shot by bystanders found its way on-line and thus began the horrible controversy of the green costume (worst movie ever!).

SolarisOne likes this.
  15. Awesome Possum

The quality of assholes has really gone downhill over the years.

SolarisOne likes this.
  16. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

If they were both male superheroes there would be very little comparison between them. But they're both the first female led superhero movie for their respective company. So the comparisons are inevitable. Until female led superhero movies stop being a rarity, people will compare what there is. In reality, a better comparison for Captain Marvel would be Man of Steel.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  17. Awesome Possum

If so, CM leaps over MoS in a single bound. CM was entertaining and heroic, MoS was a depressing slog where the Kents, the purest and most decent people in all of comics, tell Clark that maybe he shouldn't save people or that he doesn't owe the world anything instead of using his gifts to help people. It's like making a Captain America movie where he talks about agreeing with Hitler. It's shock value trying to masquerade as being edgy.

Anwar and Gavin70 like this.
  18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll have to disagree with you on your assessment of MoS. I did have some issues with it, but it was very much in tone with what DC was doing at the time. Rebirth has changed that a lot but for about twenty years that was what DC comics were like, and I thought MoS was a great interpretation of the character.

That said, I think the comparison is that both Captain Marvel and Man of Steel are similar science fiction style origin stories with the main character fighting off aliens.

Ovation and Grendelsbayne like this.
  19. Awesome Possum

The way Superman and the other characters were handled just seems wrong to me. There's a lot that can be done with them and you don't have to make it 100% true to the comics, but they were barely recognizable. It felt like they were forcing it to be something that it's not and it hurt the film for me. If it's your thing, then enjoy it. But it felt like a 13 year old boy's Superman fan fic that's based on the fact that he thinks violence and death is cool. "Superman is breaking bad guy's necks, it's awesome. Pa Kent dies right in front of Superman. The super fight is like 9/11 times 1,000!"

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

You picked out my problems with the movie, actually. Things I liked that most people didn't were Clark's confusion about his destiny and his parent's uncertainty as they tried to figure out how to raise him. I thought the level of destruction during the battle to be a great portrayal of what would happen if comic book battles happened in the real world. My problem with the ending was that it went on for too long and became too bleak. Also, I thought Superman should have found a way to win without killing Zod--but that is just me.

Captain Marvel, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it with my wife and my twins. My daughter loved the movie, and I love being able to take her to see Marvel and Star Wars films with powerful leads. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the scenes of Carol fighting the starships at then end was like a victory lap, and it was a great lap. And a great message for young girls that they don't have to live with one hand tied behind their back like their grandmothers and too many of their mothers had to do.