Spoilers Captain Marvel - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.9%
  2. A

20.5%
  3. A-

18.9%
  4. B+

23.0%
  5. B

13.9%
  6. B-

4.9%
  7. C+

2.5%
  8. C

6.6%
  9. C-

2.5%
  10. D+

0.8%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0.8%
  13. F

0.8%
  1. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

[​IMG]

Yet another Marvel movie is coming out. More of the same generic MCU formula? That's what some say but this time it's Captain Marvel herself. A character that many have been waiting to see for a long time. And it's about time. Whatever your opinion on these movies, Marvel has a good track record and I expect that this time it'll be no different. Brie Larson stars and is expected to carry the MCU just as Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man did for the last decade. And added to the mix are younger versions of Nick Fury and Agent Coulson since the movie is set in 1995. It's quite a bold move to have an entire film with de-aged actors. Let's see how that goes. So, on with the show…

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it.

It‘s definitely a Marvel Movie. Excuse the pun.

It‘s a solid B for me.

The villain lacked some depth, but that is par for the course.

Certain fan theories turned out to be correct.

Liked the Origin of her powers.

Liked the Origin of her Uniform.

Loved the cat.

Any claim about this movie being just a feminist agenda evil plot is bullshit.

There is a pretty clear emancipation statement, but no more than in WW, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Trekker4747, Thowra, Skipper and 5 others like this.
  3. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

It's definitely a MCU movie. In good and in bad. I think that I would most compare it to Doctor Strange. Already accomplished person gets great power. As opposed to Captain America or Spider-Man where the hero is a nobody before getting their powers.

I enjoyed it. I can't see why Brie Larson can't be the next main hero of the franchise if they choose to put her in that place.

4. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean that description could apply to hundreds if not thousands of marvel and dc characters, so I don't see how it makes much sense to compare these two in particular. Especially since the 'accomplished' part really isn't even that important to her character. I think the far more telling comparison to be made is that Danvers actually gains her powers by making a deliberate choice to stand up and do the right thing, even when she is clearly outmatched and doesn't necessarily even need to be involved. And much of the rest of her story revolves around her willingness and determination to take responsibility and protect the people who need helpe. That would make her far more comparable to Steve Rogers ('I can do this all day'), as opposed to Strange or Stark who both wound up in the position of gaining powers as a direct result of their own chronic failure to actually take responsibility for themselves, let alone anyone else.

For my own reaction, I'd say the movie was not the best Marvel movie ever, but it was definitely top tier. I loved Larson (and Jackson and Law) and I thought the story, while slow to build, was great. The scenes with Carol and Maria and Monica were really touching, and the action was really cool. I also loved the final scene with Yon Rogg.

My biggest complaints would be the australian accent on the Skrull (there are some accents that just don't work on an alien), the younger Ronan (who seemed pointless and not even a ghost of the performance Pace gave in GotG) and the Flerken. Yeah, Goose is a funny idea and some of the stuff worked great (I wouldn't get rid of him entirely by any means), but Fury was fawning over him a bit too much, and the whole tentacle attack thing was kind of randomly convenient, not to mention exactly the same kind of shot we've already seen before in the Guardians films. Plus, the whole eye thing was rather fanwanky and underwhelming. I think that would've made more sense as a post-credits scene or a bonus one-shot rather than stuffing it into the climax of Carol's movie for no reason.

5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

The way he loses his eye. LoL!
    It was pretty good. Liked the twist they did on the Skrulls. Curious to see if Jude Law will remain a villain later on.
    I don’t understand the gender change they did to Mar-Vell. I would have kept him make and have him like a father figure to Carol, since it states she wasn’t close with her father.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Just in case for those who haven't seen the movie.
    Still wondering how Mar-Vell/Lawson got the Tesseract but other than that I loved it. I am glad they kept Mar-Vell in some fashion. I wish we could have gotten more of Annette in the film. She was great in both parts. The change in the nature of the Kree-Skrull war could prove interesting. Whether they are lying remains to be seen but if not they could make some cool allies.

DrCorby likes this.
  7. thribs

You don’t need spoiler tags. The whole thread is already tagged as spoilers.

I did like the Stan Lee tribute at the beginning.

DrCorby and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

^ Nice cameo too. It would have been fitting as his last one.

Was Carol's call sign "Avenger"? I didn't catch what Fury saw in the pic.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. thribs

Yep. Lucky it wasn’t Justice League. :)

Anyone else notice that the name “Captain Marvel” wasn’t mentioned once. I wonder if next month’s Captain Marvel will say it? There is no rule to stop them. They only can’t title the movie that.

10. Grendelsbayne

Yeah, it was.

11. Grendelsbayne

I did. Though Fury did push her in that direction with the whole Mar-Vell/Marvelettes thing.

I don't think there's any rule of any sort in their way, though. I think a 'naming' scene just didn't really fit the story. They probably will refer to her as Captain Marvel in the future, possibly without ever mentioning explicitly how she got the name.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I love that he was reading the script to Mallrats, a movie that came out in 1995 and that Stan Lee appeared in.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Far too little Coulson. I like the twist that the Skrulls weren't really the bad guys at all. Goose swiping at Fury's eye was far too telegraphed for it to really be effective. Making Mar-Vell a woman is sure to trigger all the proper people.

Pretty much a standard MCU origin movie (about on par with Doctor Strange and Ant-Man), not that there's anything wrong with that. The 90s humor was mostly on point. The scenes Carol and friends using the internet were hilarious.

Not the greatest effort Marvel's ever put forth, but I don't think anybody was really expecting it to be. It was a solid and entertaining offer that did everything it was supposed to do.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Gov Kodos likes this.
  14. thribs

It didn’t “trigger” me. I just thought it was rather a unnecessary change. Like I said above, they could have had him as a father figure role to her.
    I agree about Coulson however. He should have been more involved.
    Speaking of which, we now know where Fury got the idea to revive Coulson; with the transfusion of Kree blood. If Carol went through that process, wouldn’t she also go “crazy” trying to find the “tombs” later on? If she’s also a pre Inhuman, that could explain why it worked perfectly.

It did basically become Superman at the end, just replace the fist blasts with eye ones. You could probably add the Superman music and get the same affect.

Caretaker likes this.
  15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Yeah, Goose and Fury's eye was like the Psycho shower scene the first time I saw it in the movie. I'd seen the clip so many times I just didn't find it any surprise at all. The eyes at the end gave me a chuckle, though.

I hope the folks for scoring can punch up Carol's musical signature. What was there was just generic hero music and not nearly as stirring as The Avengers sting, for instance.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  16. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw it last night, and gave the movie a solid B+. It's probably between a B and a B+, but overall I enjoyed it.

I loathe when studios try to push political correctness on the audience. Those that have read other things I have posted know that I am very critical of Supergirl in this regard.

Very critical.

So hopefully to those people, it means something when I say I did NOT feel like Captain Marvel pushed any sort of feminist agenda at all. They didn't do what Supergirl does, and make men weak and evil to make the main character look stronger.

If you consider Captain Marvel some sort of feminist statement, then I think it was one done the right way.

They didn't throw her gender in people's faces at all--she wasn't a hero because she was a woman. She was a hero that happened to be a woman.

She was kind of what Supergirl should be.

It was a lot more like Wonder Woman in that regard.

This movie was a story, not a statement, and though Brie Larson made some unfortunate comments before the movie, the movie itself is what it should be--a comic book movie.

I thought the movie had a great mix of humor and serious. In fact, I think DC can learn a thing or two. This was a better Superman style movie than the ones they made.

With some tweaking, there would have been a great Superman story. I wish Man of Steel followed this tone.

It's going to be interesting where they go from here in Endgame. Will they explain Carol's lack of aging?

Is she just going to be used as a means to save everything to the detriment of other heroes?

We will see, but this was a terrific lead in to Endgame, and I look forward to it.

Ruufio and ichab like this.
  17. DeepSpaceYorks

DeepSpaceYorks Commander Red Shirt

I don't normally post in these threads but do watch all the Marvel films with my son (whose now an adult, gee how time flies!). However, I thought this film was fantastic, really good fun. I also found it very emotional and cried a few times. I am an easy crier though. I was really in the mood for it and it didn't disappoint one bit.

I also correctly guessed the year just from the music and posters before Fury confirmed it, so I was pleased with myself. :hugegrin:

Anyway, I gave it an A-.

18. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

:cardie: Holy idiotic Rule 63, Batman. Yeah, its not Mar-Vell if the character is a woman. You can change the race of a character with generally no real effect, but gender swapping does just make it a different character, full stop. Also, while I removed it from the quote, good job using the term "triggered" like you're the kind of 13 year old troll who hates on female lead stuff like this.

So, looking at normal reviewers online it seems like CM is pretty much a standard MCU film, on the lower end of "not bad". I'll still hate it as a fan of the comic character, but its getting about what I expected review wise. Basically its not Wonder Woman by any stretch, but its not a bad film. It could have been better, but its not a failure. Hopefully the Black Widow movie has better people attached to it.

19. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I gave it a B+. Not even close to the best of the Marvel Cinematic Universe but I thought the movie was good and I enjoyed it.

Brie Larson definitely delivered and those trailers didn't do her performance justice. She was anything but lifeless and she had great chemistry with both SLJ and Lashana Lynch. Speaking of Jackson, the de-age technology used on him was amazing and didn't look dodgy at all, unlike the de-aging of Clark Gregg. It probably helps that Jackson has aged pretty well and looks roughly the same as he did back in the 90s. Ben Mendohlson was a lot of fun in his role as well. I liked how the Skrulls shape-shifting was utilized.

Jude Law was fine but I've seen a lot him give a lot better performances in other movies so I'm going to blame the writers on that one. Annette Bening was also better as Mar-Vel than as the Supreme Intelligence. Between this film and Ant-Man and the Wasp, I'm worried the Marvel movies are starting to slip back into their villain problems again.

Also, I didn't feel like Carol was in any real danger in this movie, particularly at the end. She resolved the attempted destruction of the Earth pretty easily, to the point where you can't justify Fury not trying to contact her during the first Avengers movie.

Complaints aside, a fun, enjoyable movie.

20. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

Just saw it last night with my wife (who is a sci-fi fan but not a comic fan). She compared it to WW and thought WW was a better female superhero movie. I don't know if I would even make the comparison as they are different types of people.

I enjoyed it. I haven't voted yet, but initially I am thinking B+. Better than Black Panther for my tastes. I liked the change in origin tying it to the infinity stone. I liked how Fury lost his eye. It was a little like Hot Tub Time Machine where you were waiting to see if this was the moment the bell boy lost his arm.

The only thing that I would like to have seen portrayed differently was CMs non-Binary power level. She seemed underpowered there.