• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Borg Collective after Endgame

adamisme

Lieutenant Commander
Red Shirt
So after the Borg Queen was infected with the virus by Admiral Janeway, did it spread through and wipe out the entire Borg Collective except for a few that took 23 years to put together the plan that took place in Star Trek Picard Season 3?
 
The Queen was quite bitter about it too. I prefer the novel version of events though. The Destiny trilogy adapted as a series of films could have put Trek movies on an Avengers like path with all the series heroes coming together to fight.
 
The Queen was quite bitter about it too. I prefer the novel version of events though. The Destiny trilogy adapted as a series of films could have put Trek movies on an Avengers like path with all the series heroes coming together to fight.
Where Janeway gets killed off and Seven of Nine is magically cured of all her Borg implants? No thanks. The single biggest thing I appreciate about "Picard" is that it did away with that plot line and built its storyline off of what "Voyager" had done, instead of just retconning it.
 
I have a partial timeline of Borg activity. Here are the relevant parts between "Endgame" and Picard S03. Dates are from Memory Alpha.
2378 CE: 5 years after the Battle of Sector 001
  • The Queen is injected with a neurolytic pathogen, wreaking havoc with the Collective. ("Endgame"
  • The Borg transwarp network (or part of it, at least) is heavily damaged by Voyager, though parts of it survive. ("Endgame")
Prior to 2383-2835 CE
  • A Borg Cube experiences submatrix collapses due to assimilating Romulans who've experienced the Admonition. The Cube is disconnected from the Collective. (Picard S01)
  • Romulans locate and begin to study the Cube, nicknamed "the Artifact." (Picard S01)
2384 CE: Six years after "Endgame"
  • "Crew" of the USS Protostar encounters and awakens a dormant Borg Cube. (Prodigy "Let Sleeping Borg Lie")
  • The Infinity (with the Protostar's "crew") uses a transwarp conduit, which one cast member calls 'Abandoned Borg tech.' (Prodigy "The Fast and the Curious." Note: I don't know if the term "transwarp network" is used in the episode, or just "transwarp conduit." They don't seem to always have the same connotations.)
2387 CE: 2-4+ years after Romulan Empire begins studying the Artifact
  • Romulan mining ship Narada (and other Romulan ships? Just mining ships?) has already been augmented with Borg tech. (Per Star Trek film behind the scenes; questionable canonicity.)
2399 CE:
  • Hugh is in charge of the Federation's Borg Reclamation Project on the Artifact, working alongside the Romulan Free State to deassimilate drones and study Borg technology. (Picard S01. 31 years after Hugh's liberation from the Borg.)
  • The former Borg transwarp network still exists. La Sirena navigates it (Picard "Broken Pieces", "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 1")
2401 CE: 36 years after Enterprise's first official contact with the Borg ("Q Who"). 23 years after neurolytic pathogen deployment.
  • A separate Borg Collective controlled by a different Queen (an assimilated Agnes Jurati), originating from a branch in the timeline, assists the Federation. (Picard S02)
  • The surviving Collective and Queen are apparently destroyed. (Picard "The Last Generation")
So, there's some data about what was up with the Borg between 2378 ("Endgame") and 2401 ("The Last Generation")... but not much. There's more "Borg-adjacent" information.
 
The general metaphor I go for with the Borg is that they're like an insect colony infestation - it's easy to eliminate A LOT of them, but it's difficult to ensure that you're wiping out ALL of them. Even with Voyager and Picard ending on notes that seem like finality to the Borg in general, I can see ways to build up the Borg returning again at a later date.
 
This is why I find the Destiny trilogy of novels so much more satisfying than PIC S3's take on them.

I mean, it's the Destiny Trilogy. It's fucking awesome.

@David Mack Didn't you once mention there was talk of adapting the trilogy into live action? I vaguely remember something about this, but I could be completely wrong!
 
I mean, it's the Destiny Trilogy. It's fucking awesome.

@David Mack Didn't you once mention there was talk of adapting the trilogy into live action? I vaguely remember something about this, but I could be completely wrong!
Yes, back in December 2018, I was one of several people involved in a creative brainstorming meeting among the Secret Hideout team. One of the goals at that time was to persuade Patrick Stewart to return to the role of Picard, and one of the ideas pitched (in this case, by me) was my Star Trek Destiny trilogy as a miniseries. Alas, Stewart didn’t go for that pitch, but it opened the door to discussions with him that led to the creation of the Star Trek: Picard series.
 
Wiping out the Borg forever is a hard story to make satisfying and not feel fanfiction-y.
Destiny's story is better as it is on a much much grander scale than Picard season 3 where all it takes is literally just the aged senior staff of one ship, a nearly 40 year old ship that's been frankensteined back together to end the threat forever because the Borg Queen is pissed off and not even pissed off at the person that infected her. I know it's the TOS movies playbook where the old gang save the day but those plots were more feasible.
I prefer STO's approach, pathogen granted a long reprieve from the Borg as a huge scale threat to the Alpha and Beta Quadrant until they rebuilt their forces and came back. Whether one uses the insects or storm metaphor, they just aren't a force you can ever truly be rid of.
At least Destiny made it an event but I would prefer the Borg to always be out there and I can interpret President Rillik's knowledge of the Borg meaning they are still a thing in the 32nd century and that she didn't just pluck from ancient history.
 
Alas, Stewart didn’t go for that pitch,
That is an absolute shame. A pipe dream of mine had been to have an Avengers type series of films with all of the TNG era shows and crews. How could that not make money? That time has passed but Destiny scratched that itch.
 
Don’t forget the alternate-timeline Enterprise-D that refused to return to their Borg infested reality.

Mirror Universe incursions might not be the only kind to worry about, should they go “sideways” in time…as in Doctor Who’s “Inferno.”

The Intendant would have made for a fine Queen.
 
So after the Borg Queen was infected with the virus by Admiral Janeway, did it spread through and wipe out the entire Borg Collective except for a few that took 23 years to put together the plan that took place in Star Trek Picard Season 3?

I headcanon the Borg Collective was not wiped out really, but it completely fragmented and shattered across the Milky Way, with many dying, but many adapting in their own way as mini-collectives.

There was a large Borg hold out acting like a threat and sent a cube into the dissolved Romulans Empire in S1, a new Borg Cooperative forming in S2, another Borg hold out working with what they got left in Prodigy, and a surving Queen plotting from her wrecked cube flagship in S3.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top