"Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I'm not thrilled with the Alfred take for this series I am curious about the villains. I think we all loosely, if not firmly agree, that this take on Alfred is not normal. Especially as a regular function of his character, gun slinger.

As for the villains it seems the 'toon will try to raise the profile of some newer, if lesser in original adversity, bad guys in Professor Pyg and Mister Toad. Both products of Grant Morrison, coincidence? I think not, Morrison is somthing of the co-golden boy at DC the past few years. What other lesser known, less seen in mass media villains will appear? The write up stated that showcasing lesser knowns was part of the shows 'mission'.
    I'm pulling for Tally Man(hey guns are in right?), Black Spider, King Tut and The Answer.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what your point is about Grant Morrison's villains being used. Damian Wayne was used in "Batman: Brave and the Bold" and that show takes from all of Batman's continuity. Beware the Batman seems to be upholding the tradition of using current and previous villains. I agree that it will be interesting to see how the villains are used and portrayed. The voice cast is gonna be interesting as well.

3. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

I don't have a problem with Alfred having a gun. It's something that's been shown in the past. He does have a military backstory as well. My problem lies with the fact that, to me, the picture is implying that he is a main player in Batman's crime fighting group in this show.
    That kind of goes against the whole secret identity concept. Having Bruce's butler be involved on any kind of regular basis with Batman, is a huge connection that Bruce would not allow.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

There have been times in the past were Alfred has taken an active role ( and on occasion a hampering one) in Batman's adventures. There was even a point where Alfred was presented a friend/ally of Batman.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

A show about one big DC hero that has heroes that no one cares about appearing every other week?

Sounds like Smallville! :rommie:

7. Admiral_Young

^ You mean villains right?

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

If Alfred is going to be a gun-blazin' sidekick, then who's going to dust the furniture and get the tea? :rommie:

9. Admiral_Young

Since I haven't actually given my opinion of the original article I will do so now. I do agree that a pistol packing Alfred Pennyworth is indeed very unusual. It appears that he will be taking a more active role, and seems younger in that picture as well, perhaps he'll have a "Kato" type role? I wonder if Geoff Johns influence has crept into this project since his plans for Alfred in Earth One kind of reflect what the image implies. I look forward to seeing some of the more obscure villains both current and past. The use of Katana is extremely interesting to me and should be interesting. The article did say that she wasn't a Robin replacement which says to me that a Robin of some sort will be interesting. This is a Batman animated series so I will be definitely checking it out.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Robin, obviously.

You do realize that Alfred has a military background and has been seen using shotguns in the past, right? ;)

11. Nerys Myk

A Gentleman's Gentleman can do both.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's no different from Britt Reid's valet Kato also being his sidekick when he's out fighting crime as the Green Hornet.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^ In fairness, Kato does wear a mask.

Hmm...maybe Alfred wears a rug to hide his identity!

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It may be coincidence, I can subscribe to the idea that since the characters are only 4-5yrs old someone, some show runner might ask "Hey who are some new villains I can tinker with that don't have any preconceived ideas on them?" He/She goes through a list and hand picks these.

However, I can also believe that since Morrison is also held highly by the DC team that Johns/Didio might push some of Morrisons creations towards someone asking that hypothetical question. Afterall there are plenty of other "lesser known" Bat villains that could be used(I listed some I'd rather see than those chosen as dominant players), the two mentioned explicitly are Morrisons. Just strikes me as interesting, that's all I'm saying.

15. Admiral_Young

I'm sure that could be the case with any of their popular creators right now. Geoff Johns has had his characters pushed in projects over the last year or so. Don't know about their being a conscience decision to push those characters in their media, but i would't be surprised if there was.

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sidekicks with swords and guns sounds like a weird choice for a kids' show in this day and age. If they wanted a female sidekick, why not Batgirl or one of the female Robins?

17. Nerys Myk

Cuz Ninjas are cool.

18. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Cassandra Cain Batgirl also a ninja?

19. Nerys Myk

She was half Chinese and trained by of the League of Assassins.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, it would've been a weird choice for a kids' show in the 1970s when I was a kid, but it's been pretty commonplace since the '80s. As far as kids' shows currently on the air are concerned, let's see... Agent Six on Generator Rex wields a pair of high-tech swords, and the other Providence agents use guns. Aqualad on Young Justice can magically form weapons out of water and often makes swords. The Jedi in Star Wars: The Clone Wars use lightsabers and the other characters use plenty of guns. The Transformers have heavy artillery built into their bodies. War Machine in Iron Man: Armored Adventures has heavy armaments built into his suit. And the Power Rangers often wield swords, ray guns, or swords that change into ray guns.