"Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like this series is cashing in on the upcoming movie just like the Green Lantern CGI cartoon. I thought Katana was the Anne Hathaway Catwoman for a second.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I too thought that there might be some connection with DC Animated going the route of CGI for their series. Maybe this will be the trend for their shows now? Probably not though.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking for myself, whose read countless Batman titles in 25yrs, Alfred has used on occasion a gun in his 70years. Occasional gun use.

This
    [​IMG]

is not THIS
    [​IMG]
    This is daily use, on the prowl as if he's Dum Dum Dugan or even Dominic Fortune.

Alfred with a shotgun or other firearm to AT THE RARE TIME defend the mansion, himself the cave is way, way different and you know this.

4. Admiral_Young

^ As Broc stated we don't know what that picture refers to or implies. It's a promo picture displaying an apparently more physically active Alfred than versions that we've seen him before and as I stated a couple of times already, yes he's used a rifle before. I saw the same image you posted while doing a google search earlier.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing that is causing a stir is that the image and the way the premise was worded suggests Alfred is going to be some sort of bad ass who goes around capping people while fighting crime with Batman. As such, it comes off as very...unusual for a Batman show.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't Alfred, in modern continuity, supposed to be an ex-MI6 agent? Or did I just dream that?

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Define "modern continuity." I'm not much of a comic book reader but I gather DC have just had yet another continuity reset crisis stunt.

For what it's worth, it's pretty much implied in TDK that the Michael Caine version of Alfred is ex-SAS. Either way, how or why such a person ends up as a butler for an American millionaire doctor is anyone's guess.

8. Admiral_Young

^ theEnglish is most likely referring to the Alfred of the past fifteen or so years which does have some kind of military service in his background which I've now brought up three times.

I understand what the promo pic implies and how traditional fans might not be so welcoming to what it suggests but it's only really one pic and until we get further character details or explanations it's not really a big deal or worth freaking out about right now.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Broccoli stated exactly what the promo image is to imply and it's what I take away from the pic as well.

It's why when you do a search for 'Alfred Pennyworth gun' the only image of him with a gun you get is the one posted. If Alfred, even with his military past intact, was "often times seen using a gun" then more images of that would be readily available. We'd all be spouting out examples of, "Hey in Batman 316 Alfred winged Two-Face in the knee to save the day" but no that's not out there.

Promo art is intended to give you an initial idea of who the main players and their role will be. Alfred "in action" with a gun...regularly, is as Broccoli noted, unusual. Does promo art for Batman The Animated Series, The Batman or Batman Brave & Bold show passive characters like Gordon or Alfred? No. The promo art shows you the characters you can expect in dynamic action. Ergo, it looks like the Alfred this show is going to present is more Alfred in name only. The character is, as I said, more of a Dum Dum Dugan or Dominic Fortune.

I'll watch it. Let's just don't pretend like it's not extremely unusual and out of context for the characters 70 years in existence.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Alfred's "military" background goes back to I believe the 1970s, when it was established he fought in WWII along side Mlle. Marie and the French Underground. I think it was a vow to his dying father that caused him to enter the service of the Wayne family.

12. Broccoli

Good images. But all of them are him defending the cave/manor, not going out capping asses with Batman.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

true. but it shows that Alfred using a gun is not out of character.

14. Admiral_Young

At no time did I state that it wasn't unusual for Alfred to be depicted in the manner that the promo pic was implying...all i said was that there are examples of Alfred wielding a rifle at various times. For all we know he could very well be "defending" himself in that pic :) Either way I find it very interesting.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Anyway, we're talking about a kids' show for Cartoon Network, so guns or no, it's a given he won't be using lethal force.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well regardless of all other considerations, a gun toting Alfred indicates a rather fundamental shift in the characterisation of Batman. It's a long established character trait that Bruce *hates* guns in general and pistols in particular. With the probably exception of Frank Miller's version, I can't see any faithful interpretation of Batman tolerating a dual pistol wielding butler. He'd go ballistic.

17. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

STILL sounds sucky to me...when did this world turn into such a pessimistic pisshole that they think that the ONLY way to entertain is to have the supporting cast resort and use firearms?!?!?

18. Admiral_Young

^ Do you like anything??

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Uhh, it's not like there's ever been a shortage of shows with people using firearms. How many people here grew up watching GI Joe and Transformers cartoons? I can't say I'm happy to see guns in children's programming, but it's not exactly a new thing. (Anyone remember the Rambo cartoon from the late '80s? It rivalled The A-Team for the sheer volume of bullets that were fired but never hit anyone.)

20. Broccoli

What year was the Big Bang in?