Beloved episodes you can't get into

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Talos IV, Aug 2, 2022.

1. SantaEddie74

SantaEddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The Omega Glory" isn't as bad as many think. It's not great, but it's classic TOS allegory and the kind of political messaging current butthurt fans claim shouldn't exist or didn't use to(or both) and gets its points across with the typical subtlety of a Roddenberry-penned script from the 1960s. There are cringe moments but you never forget it nor the good parts.

Warped9 likes this.
  2. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And she's somehow "Kirk's great love" despite them knowing next to nothing about each other.
    Though I think that's more a fandom thing?

3. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

Captain Kris Kringle Pike Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it gets emphasized in novels and comics as well. It's one of those things they go back to that well on and it makes very little sense.

Orphalesion likes this.
  4. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...The good parts?

5. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Well Morgan Woodward is good. The concept of being trapped on a planet where you are in a besieged village about to be overrun is interesting. The Captain deciding to break orders and defend the village is clever. Problem was how to end it. Modern Trek may have just let Tracey be killed and our heroes beam up and let the conflict take its' course by having the winning side slaughter the villagers. The bad part was the Kohm and Yang angle.

6. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Commodore Commodore

That last starts to sound like the all too common TNG-era PD misinterpretation.

7. SantaEddie74

Ron Tracey paved the way for Gabriel Lorca, which makes it all the more tragic that his character twist was wasted on being a Mirror Universe transplant. There are also signs of Tracey in Captain Ransom from "Equinox, Parts I and II(VOY)."

8. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"City at the Edge of Forever" - it has nice enough ideas, but I didn't believe the romance and that's crucial for the episode to work. To compare, Kirk's with Miramannee was one of the very few that felt authentic.

"Mirror, Mirror" - iconic or not, it's oversimplifying the idea of parallel universes and canonically says it's just theirs and the mirror one. But that's easier to swallow than all the of plot contrivances. I've rewatched "The Way to Eden" more times.

Most of the parallel Earth development episodes, which existed solely for the reuse of props and costumes to save money. Most of these episodes have the crew in awe over how rare the phenomenon is... so half a dozen such episodes later and they're still all gobsmacked the same thing? Okey dokey then... at least "The Paradise Syndome" chucks in The Preservers as the impetus, and they're neat idea that would be referenced/hinted at from time to time, rather than the usual shtick of sheer coincidence or, for more dramatic reasons, some dingbat in Starplop Command misplacing a book and now they all act like 1920s throwbacks or naziwannabes or notreallyromans or so on, though the Roman one wasn't half-bad either.

9. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Deadly Years is just hokum, with the reset button in the form of a plot-reversal anti-aging drug.

I liked this one better as a kid, but Obsession's fast and loose nature with vents is pretty bad (though a little headcanon can work around most of it)... but the one red shirt that dies at the start is doin' just fine later in the same story (and in later ones, woohoo!)

The Changeling is another alleged fan-favorite I loved as a kid, but a later re-watch had me balking over some insane levels of firepower of Nomad: With equivalency to 90 torpedoes per single volley and the ship can handle up to four hits? Really? If nothing else, it's a great exercise in attempting multiplication for the more advanced second-graders watching*...) Far worse, the casual sexism of that episode that drove me nuts. It became easy to understand why the good elements of this story were retooled as part of "The Motion Picture", which does it more justice and eschews the brazen claims (which rank up there with some of what some other TOS episodes pulled, but at least it's malfunctioning AI Nomad making the dumb claims and not beloved heroes Kirk or Spock or anyone else, good grief...) Not to mention Nomad's disco dance ability to travel at "multiwarp speeds", which ranks right up there with Voyager's gack-inducing treknobabble extraordinaire of "multispectral subspace engine design" (among legions of others). And, of course, how other episodes have Enterprise's shields succumb to a lot less firepower... 90 torpedoes... still, at least TOS got to chuck in "multi" before anyone else. TNG's era coined "quantum"... the day a spinoff outdoes Voyager with treknobabble is probably a scary day indeed. How does one outdo all of that...

* but is, comparably, an incredibly boring one for any number of high school kids on prom night, which was the one wordlessly and socially acceptable day for young adults of the day to engage in or at least attempt coitus without the need of a marriage license... at least by 1950s standards.​

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Yes sorry don't know what made me mix them up. Seems like I'm not a true fan. :confused: :lol:

11. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it doesn't. At no point in the episode do they say that the Mirror Universe is the only parallel universe.
    The nearest they come to saying anything close to that is when Kirk says, "You're a man of integrity in both universes, Mister Spock," but even that doesn't mean that there are only those two universes. It just means that Kirk is only talking about their two respective universes.

Donald G and Warped9 like this.
  12. King Bob!

King Bob! The King of Kings Premium Member

The original Star Trek is like pizza and sex, even when its bad, its good.

13. SantaEddie74

TOS was glorious. At it's best it was some of the best one-hour science fiction on television you'd ever see. At it's worst it was laughably cringe. But it was almost never boring.

14. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

Someone hasn't had Chinese pizza...

15. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Apologies for the tangent

Chinese pizza? My wife is Chinese and I am pretty sure I’ve NEVER seen pizza on the menu in any Chinese restaurant or in any cookbook . So, I am so curious, what is it? I can’t even imagine what the ingredients are.

16. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

Full disclosure: this happened when I was 10 and in San Francisco so if I get things wrong I apologize in advance. We went to a Chinese restaurant, and me being the picky kid, saw "pizza" on the menu and ordered it. It was basically flat bread, red sauce and cheese melted over it. What other ingredients I have no idea. It just looked and smelled quite gross.

17. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As far as I know, that episode is only 'beloved' by those who love bad episodes.

18. SantaEddie74

Sadly, Jack Ruby's defense attorney was the best thing about that episode.

19. Tango

Tango Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He arguably did a better job in Star Trek than in that particular case...

SantaEddie74 likes this.
  20. SantaEddie74

It was worth the shot.

:shifty: