Ashes to Ashes BBC One Tonight

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Feb 7, 2008.

1. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

It is ambigious though, because the guy who shot her in the present, seemed to make references to having met her before in the past.

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I thought he mentioned her mother? As in her mother was the one who originally brought him down.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah even down to not liking her looking at him, and he might have taken Alex for her own mother given the time difference.

4. Bob The Skutter

Well it wouldn't be the first time something was seemingly effected. In series 2 of Life on Mars, Sam changed it so that Tony Crane was no longer a crime lord, and became a mental patient instead.

5. biotech

But did that really happen, or was it just in Sam's mind?

6. Bob The Skutter

Same could be said for this though. I mean he seemingly knows her mother, but she imagines it that way, and it becomes he mistakes her for her mother.

7. Bob The Skutter

Well the overnight ratings are in. It picked up 7 million viewers, and a 29.1% share.

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

thats fine

9. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved it, but Gene is always entertaining.

I felt really sorry for the Restaurant owner.

10. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was the confusing thing though... wouldn't the fact that Sam was shot and killed in her "dream" be her own manifestation? It's not like she would know that he would have lived exactly seven years in the "Gene Hunt" world.
    And, I dunno, I'd like to think that Sam worked out the sexism in Chris... not encourage it. But oh well. :p

We'll have to see how things turn out a few episodes down the line though.

I also hope Annie or Sam show up in some capacity. I suppose they don't, since it probably would have been leaked or talked about a while ago.

11. Bob The Skutter

He drove his car in to the water chasing someone, he wasn't shot.
    He won't be in it. Philip Glenister said something along the lines of "He gets bored easily, and thinks he's done just about all he can in the role."

12. firehawk12

I don't know why I said shot. :lol:
    But anyway, Sam's death would be her creation... which I suppose could be her way of rationalizing the time she is "wasting" in her dream.
    Unless this is limbo/purgatory, which it isn't. :lol:

Annie showing up trying to convince her to stay would be fine though. Seems kind of obvious that she might want to check out some of her manifestation of Sam's "history" in this world to see if she can find anything.

13. Bob The Skutter

I wonder if she checked if there was a real Gene Hunt... I'm still hoping there's something more there than coma dream.

14. firehawk12

It IS all Gene Hunt's fantasy then! ;)
    I wonder if they'll complicate it... I don't want to see numbers and hatches and polar bears for example...

15. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

So - if Alex is right, then she's basically having a similar experience to Sam's "coma dream". But I really hope there's more to it than that.

I was never keen on the "coma dream" reveal of LOM's finale - mainly because the weird stuff Sam experienced was so damn intriguing and well made. I always wanted a mind-blowing reveal. Ah, well! lol

It would be so cool if AtA does have such a reveal that ties both shows together in a fascinating way rather than having Alex wake up from a dream just like Sam did.

Anyhoo - as with LOM, I should think I'll enjoy the ride whatever the outcome.

:D

16. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Commodore Commodore

At the end of LOM it seemed clear that the whole thing had been a dream. But now that Alex found out in her coma/dream that Sam came back and lived on another seven years it does ask the question if there is more to this dream world after all. She did spend a lot of time pointing out how real the world seemed. And seeing as Ray said they never found Sam's body it does leave it open for him to return.

I just hope the ending to this series is more satisfying than the LOM.

Charlie

17. biotech

Why would her mind have Sam coming back at all?

She read about his experiences, that could have made her mind create what it did, but Sam coming back wasnt in that report, only that he died in real life.

18. Bob The Skutter

Well if he did, my question would be, why would she fantasise he died after 7 years, just to bring him back?

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Holy shit, the bad motherfucker is back!
    Excellent start, easily quotable (I'm bigger in every department!) and tons of vintage stuff. Although I do have the impression it feels more like 1984-1986 rather than 1981...

The warehouse in Shadwell looks like the garage in A Fish Named Wanda...

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Am annoyed they killed Sam off in 1980, he should of just left or was injured and went off somehere. Also the gunfight was stupid, everyone kept missing badly but overall it was still quite decent and I loved them using Rainbow.

"Gene Hunt
    :lol:

welcome back Gene Hunt :thumbsup: