Ashes to Ashes BBC One Tonight

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

^I think you're thinking about the scene where Gene told Sam that he was there because he wanted to be.

I just got the soundtrack this morning. I remember more of them than I expected, a few songs I'm still drawing a blank on though.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah that's the one, thanks!:)

3. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know about Gene admitting that he is fictional, I think the ending might have come close to reversing the end of LOM, where both Tyler and Drake may actually have travelled back in time for real.

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

^ I hope this hasnt been said, but Sam was never sure it was just a dream, unlike Alex who was very sure, so logically the Gene in Alex dreams would be aware of the fact he wasn't real, as she would give him that, and as she constantly reminded him.

5. biotech

Being sure of something doesnt always mean you are right though.

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

fair point

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not if you're insane. Anyone sure they're mad?

Alex had psyche evaluations for Sam in the pilot. If Gene was real, then some one would have asked him why Sam Tyler was telling porkies about him.

8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I'm sure I've said this before, but they both had ample time to find out if Gene existed; after Sam came out of his coma and before Alex went into hers. It's what a real cop would have done.

9. biotech

But then why would they?

By waking up Sam knew his was just a dream, and since Alex had no reason to believe Hunt was real, why would she look him up either?

10. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It's still what a cop would have done. Just out of curiosity if nothing else.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'd agree, certainly if not look for Gene Hunt you'd have thought Sam might have been curious about Annie.

12. biotech

When the end of LOM was wrote, they knew ashes to ashes was coming, by having Sam look up the people to see if they were real, it would have demolished the entire "is it or isn't it" concept of the follow up series.

And that's the same reason Drake wouldn't have done it either.

Revealing them as real people that actually existed is a franchise ending event.

13. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I think they should do a series with Alex in 2009 but being followed around by a Gene Hunt only she can see, sort of like an imaginary friend

14. biotech

Its already been said that the next series of ATA will be the last time we ever see Gene Hunt in anything.

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

ok do it as the final episode of A2A, I kind of like the idea of Alex being unable to escape him, even in her own time.

16. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. I thought I wasn't going to, but I really did. I'm glad that Evan wasn't the villian of the piece since I liked him the moment I saw him. The bit where Gene comforted child Alex really moved me. And I smiled wrly at dinner when adult Alex tells Gene that despite 40 years of feminism a whole trench of women would love to have dinner with him. She's right of course, myself included! :o:guffaw:I enjoyed this far more than LOM. Looking forward to series 2. Come back, Gene Genie, we miss you already.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Aw, guess that rules out my idea for a series where Gene Hunt is run over by a Sinclair C5 in 1983 and wakes up in a Pluto police station in 2035 then :p

18. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should really fuck with people and have the last shot be of some cop from L&O. :lol: