Art that doesn't need its own thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by B.J., Sep 8, 2010.

1. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now challenge yourself. Try drawing the Enterprise in that same style from different perspectives. First mimic stills of the ship until you have all the major and secondary details down cold. Then pick angles you've never seen anywhere ... like one of the big windows in the underside of the saucer section that look aft. You're going to make a lot of mistakes and most of your efforts will be crap -- but that's okay! Experiment, learn, grow. Next, do a three-panel style drawing telling a short story. It doesn't have to be a good story, it could just be Picard's Captain's log narrating across the three panels. Put in amazing backgrounds that splash color across most of the page. Play around with scale and angles to produce something cool and interesting and unique.

Most of all, have fun!

Admiral Archer likes this.
  2. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Commander Red Shirt

I have taken your advice, and provided two new drawings in addition to what I already had. The new angles proved challenging after all (especially the shading!) but I think I have an idea of how the ship's general exterior shape is. Stay tuned, more is on the way!
    [​IMG]

BK613 and Psion like this.
  3. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like that. The top-right view could use some work, so try focusing on that angle a few more times to work out the perspective a bit more. Grab a toy or model Enterprise for reference and hold it up in front of your face as you work it out. Your lines are crisp and clean and I don't see anything wrong with the shading that won't straighten out with a bit more practice. Art takes work and the passion to see your way through even boring practice that no one's ever going to see.

I'm looking forward to see where you take this!

4. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Commander Red Shirt

So I improved not only the shading and detailing on the upper right image, but I also edited the proportions slightly. The original drawing is on the left, the improved drawing is on the right.

[​IMG]

Psion likes this.
  5. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

7. darklight11111

darklight11111 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

awesome thread! Keep up the great work artists!