Art that doesn't need its own thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by B.J., Sep 8, 2010.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny enough, I DO own a copy of TrueSpace! I've used it to create few Doctor Who based freebies (a Davros chair and the 4th Doctor's console) with the Poser community. I think the last couple of releases (version 6 and newer) included what was a third party "plug-in" to both import and export .OBJ files. But since I have the program itself, there's no need to convert and export.

Certainly, finalize your design. I just love that "Japanese" version! I can easily imagine it suspended by wires, streaking across that royal blue star studded backdrop, chemical rockets spewing flame that arcs upward as well as the spent vapors and smoke, all the while the Navy anthem playing like one hears in nearly every Godzilla flick.

The Lensman likes this.
  2. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My version of 7 didn't have an obj plug-in. I've been having to use a third party program outside of Truespace to convert cob files to obj ones so I can import them into DAZ. Do you know the name of the plug-in?

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Luuv"

The plug-in I use is "Luuv".

4. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome. Thanks!

5. Serin117

Serin117 Commander Red Shirt

An Andor WIP - still need to work out a proper volumetric atmosphere system and kill off Laikan city but other than that I'm somewhat pleased. Also the night lights are ew and need to go.

6. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Thanks! I'd love to see that for real! I planned on doing an image with the flames curving up with attendant smoke once I'd finished the model. I've been a little busy, so haven't had time to work on it, but I'm thinking the Japanese version will be far smaller than the Russian version.

Just for fun, I thought I'd show the evolution of a picture. From the model how it actually appears, to the finished pic after post production in Photoshop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  7. Madkoifish

Madkoifish Commander Red Shirt

8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Shouldn't Andor be more glaciated than that? Shran and...that Aenar lady implied there is a place that only goes above freezing in the summer...

9. Serin117

There are a few maps around the place on memory alpha/beta that have the locations noted in the novels - they show a fair bit of water. This texture map echoes that fairly well, although its much more realistic.
    Add in a little artistic licence and there you go. IMO looks more interesting than the map they had in ENT.

10. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Yes, more interesting than an ice ball.

Serin117 likes this.
  11. Serin117

The top right one... Could kind of fun to sculpt seriously in zbrush/mudbox...

12. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Greetings! So as not to clutter the forum with a new thread, let's stick to this one.

Anyone tried their hands on an ISS Franklin or ISS Discovery? :devil:

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes i know a artist on Dev Art that did a ISS Frank Lin :)

14. -SS-

-SS- Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Made this for the thread about TMP uniforms in the Movies forum, but is also a follow-up from my picture here a few pages back. These are meant to show the uniform progression of from TMP to TWOK (dates are whatever).
    I think the basic garments had pretty solid designs, they just needed better colors and separate boots to take them from pyjamas to something more serious-looking. The modified tunic and pants were seen under the security guards' armor, and could have been a more service-like alternative to the officers' dressier monster maroon jackets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  15. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like these :)

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

17. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

It's not that great, but here's a drawing I did of a Galaxy-class starship in MS Paint. It's done in a cartoon style, so some innacuracies are intended as exaggeration of details.

[​IMG]

18. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With some space-y background art, I'd happily accept this as a panel in comic book!

19. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

Wow, really? Thank you much! That's high praise in my book. :)

20. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now challenge yourself. Try drawing the Enterprise in that same style from different perspectives. First mimic stills of the ship until you have all the major and secondary details down cold. Then pick angles you've never seen anywhere ... like one of the big windows in the underside of the saucer section that look aft. You're going to make a lot of mistakes and most of your efforts will be crap -- but that's okay! Experiment, learn, grow. Next, do a three-panel style drawing telling a short story. It doesn't have to be a good story, it could just be Picard's Captain's log narrating across the three panels. Put in amazing backgrounds that splash color across most of the page. Play around with scale and angles to produce something cool and interesting and unique.

Most of all, have fun!

Admiral Archer likes this.