Arrowverse's Crisis on Infinite Earths to be 5-Part Crossover

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, May 16, 2019.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Pretty sure they've said he isn't.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

"When asked if this would be a sequel to Superman Returns, Guggenheim said:

“I don’t know if it’s for me to say,” Guggenheim said. “We’re picking up so many years after the events of that movie, maybe a coda is a better word than sequel.”"

https://www.slashfilm.com/crisis-on-infinite-earths-crossover/

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The only thing I remember reading is that they weren't allowed to use the suit from Superman Returns, not necessarily that he wasn't playing the same character. Obviously, if they keep things vague enough, they can leave it up to the viewer to decide if this is the same Reeves/Routh Superman from the movies or a Superman from yet another alternate world.

ETA: if this were the same Superman from the movies, it would only bring the first two Superman movies and Superman Returns into the mix. If you're going to accept Routh is playing the same character, then you have to accept the continuity from his movie, which disregarded the third and fourth movies. Hopefully you can put Supergirl in there as well.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It also disregards some continuity from Superman II. The "Loose sequel" approach makes it tricky to really nail it all down. :)

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy shit - if they end up confirming that he is playing Superman Returns that means that they are currently playing with the fate of Christopher Reeve Superman - the OG superhero who started all of this!

No pressure.

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So in the Burt Ward scene, will there be a portrait of Adam West hanging on a wall? :techman:

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At this point this has already become the most ambitious TV show event... ever. This is bigger to superhero TV than Endgame was to superhero movies.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe from a logistical standpoint. But even then, they've done this before and they've had months - years even - to plan everything out and make sure all the "Is" and "Ts" are square. But, when you get right down to it, it's just five single episodes for each series.

Now compare that to something like the live episode of 30 Rock, where everything had to work. There were live episodes of other shows that produced a better final product. But they also didn't take as many risks. Plus, 30 Rock had SNL clinging to it in a way that, if it didn't come off exactly right, it would have broken the illusion.

And from an artistic standpoint, even something like "Hush" was way more ambitions.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Fair point.

Not really, because Returns bumps the timeline forward about two decades -- it came out 26 years after Superman II while pretending to be only 5 years later, but both films are set in the present as of their release. So that implies that SR is an alternate world to the Reeve movies, one where similar events happened two decades later -- which fits in with having all these alternate versions of Superman (Routh, Welling, Hoechlin) whose lives happened similarly but at different times.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I hope Routh doesn't have to play the bumbling Clark from the Donner movies.

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The timeline of Superman Returns was screwed from the start in trying to suggest a clearly 21st century world was a few years after a film that was clearly released in 1980, and looking like the late 70s when it was produced. Moreover, Superman Returns only ignored the 3rd and 4th Reeve films, but I'm not sure anyone ever said that applied to the Slater Supergirl. If that's unconfirmed, and Routh is still portraying the SR Superman...Slater's Supergirl should be a part of his reality.

No, it is not. Endgame was by no means perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it was the culmination of an ocean-liner's worth of films and characters that DC TV cannot compare to--and continuity/plot holes/some bad decisions and all, it still wrapped up 21 previously released films. Endgame was the kind of film that should warn producers away from ever attempting that kind of set up again, for fear that it could only "get" the audience one time.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait. A film that grossed over $2.5 billion at the box office is supposed to do what, now?

crookeddy and CorporalClegg like this.
  13. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Routh essentially played Christopher Reeve's version of Clark in Superman Returns, and the picture he just posted -- which looks like it could have been snapped on the set of SR -- certainly suggests he'll be continuing in that vein. Personally, I'm delighted; Routh was great as both Clark and Superman in Returns, and I'm hoping this will be a continuation of that version of the character, either implicitly or explicitly.

USS Firefly and Tosk like this.
  14. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I think Routh played Clark as a lot less bumbling than Reeve did. With Reeve, I got the sense the awkwardness was an act, whereas with Routh, I felt like his awkwardness was closer to his true emotional state than when he was suaveing it up as Superman (him cracking the picture frame when he found out Lois is almost-married, the way he was trying to excuse Superman not saying goodbye to Lois when she vented at him about him, that sort of stuff), even if he didn't go full "confident successful professional" like most post-crisis versions of Clark.

Speaking of the set, I adored the art deco Daily Planet building from Returns, especially the interiors.

I hope they find a spot for Tim Daly, even if it's just a vocal cameo.

15. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I think SR was ok and deserved a sequel back then.
    Wishful hoping that Routh will be doing more Superman stuff in the future

16. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

;)

dahj likes this.
  17. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I actually almost added a qualifier like that myself. I was going to compare it to Reeve's performance in the Smallville scenes in Superman III, where he's still in the Clark persona and being sort of sweetly awkward, but not "playing to the cameras" as much with Lana as he does in Metropolis.

David cgc likes this.
  18. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Missed the point about crookeddy's claiming:

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, I read that. I wasn't responding to that. I was responding to what you said, which was silly. It doesn't mean that I agree with what @crookeddy said either, which was also silly.

20. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me the DC TV Crisis is to Avengers Endgame as Marvel Secret Wars comics were to DC's Crisis... their own version of a huuuuge event with major implications.

While visually, it looks waaaay cheaper than the MCU (like the "destruction" of Earth-90 looked so low budget, the CONCEPT is way bigger in my opinion.

Endgame culminated the Marvel Cinematic UNIverse. Crisis is drawing in MULTIverses...including ones that never had any tie to the Arrowverse. They are connecting shows in a way like how Harmony Gold brought together 3 shows for one big one = Robotech.

Most of the MCU movies had something in their movie that led up to Endgame, so it was part of the plan. Crisis is trying to tie in shows that would have never been connected before, and certainly NO plan for that possibility.

This also reaches back over 50 years, rather than 10. (At least counting Burt Ward, the actor...not sure what kind of character he will play). ABout 40 seasons worth of shows (which is like, what 800 hours worth of shows; I am not even thinking about Kevin COnroy's stuff).

It's a big idea...we will see how it ends.

But I don't think Oliver is going to die....the last scene of last season's Arrow made it sound like the MOnitor was bringing Felciity to Oliver...which might be to some dimension he is trapped in, kinda like how ALexander Luthor in the comic Crisis, brought out Superman of Earth 2 and Lois.

But we will see who dies and lives...

Oh...and for the MCU (and the DC FU), the only thing that could match Endgame would be a battle with the Legion of Doom (DC we know about, but Marvel's would be led of course by Dr. Doom ;) )