Poll Are You Satisfied? (Season Finale Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Akiraprise, Feb 12, 2018.

?

Are you satified with the USS Enterprise revealed in DSC?

1. Satisfied

2. Not Satisfied

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it wasn't "pretty clear." That's eisegesis. It was a fun callback for fans, and a little teaser of what's to come for the Discovery, responding to distress calls and the like, rather than on the front lines.

It was just meant to be fun.

JoeP likes this.
  2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Literally.

Wowbagger likes this.
  3. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Thanks. I'm just sticking to food cubes and Windex milk now.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Better than the JJ-prise. Looked right, nice CG model, the lighting making it fit well. And we know it has a history of slight changes (e.g. between The Cage and the series) anyway, so...

5. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The options are too binary. Better than I feared and better than Kelvinprise. Apart the pylons and shortening of the neck, it is pretty much perfect. Then again, that makes it not-perfect, and a bit frustrating that they came so close. (And did they remove the concave in the saucer? Looks like it but I'm not sure. If they did, that I don't like either.)

Still, I guess I vote 'satisfied', but I'd like to see more pictures and proper orthos to make a final judgement.

6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was fine. Not bad. Just kinda boring. Didn't really bring anything new to the table. Just kinda put the TOS Enterprise, Refit, and NX-01, put it in a blender. I don't see how it matches the DSC aesthetic whatsoever except for the registry spot lights and bridge window. Stayed too retro for my taste, especially that godawful deflector dish.

Also, their CG starship renders need some serious work. If I can do better at home, they need to be getting some more time and money to do them right for the show. Or change art direction. Something.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Gepard likes this.
  7. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given that we have a good amount of people disappointed with the amount of change and a good amount of people disappointed with the lack of change, I'd say they did about as well as they could.

8. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Commodore Commodore

I'm mostly satisfied, think it looks A LOT better than the JJ Enterprise. Of course for me, nothing will beat the original but I agree they had to change it.

9. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was a bit annoyed at the changes - particularly that they made her "flatter" by making the neck shorter, and some other changes (specifically the TMP-nacelle struts), or the new impulse engines or the blue glow of the warp nacelle.

But overall? It's quite obvious they invested MUCH time in getting her "right". And they did (mostly).
    Like - if I need more than five seconds to see the differences to the original, it might very well be the original.

My main problem is:
    They obviously spent so many resources on it - time, energy, maybe CG - that the main arc of the series might have needed more. It was a great moment! But it came tacked on a lame episode. Much like the amazing flyby at the end of ENT's horrible "These are the Voyages". And the REAL money now is on the inside of the ship: How will the bridge of the Enterprise look next season? The uniforms? The corridors? There's already much room to make more mistakes, so much so in fact, you have to wonder if it will really be worth it for the long run.

Also: Starting with the TMP-refit, the JJprise, The Beyond-variant, the Kelvin-version of the A, and now Discovery's Enterprise, it's kind of CRAZY how many variations of the "original" TOS-Enterprise we now have! Jeez. Maybe create something... new? Once in a while?

But whatever. All my nay-saings put aside:
    This was a great scene. The Enterprise looked GOOD. Not perfect. But managing to NOT get her wrong while re-designing her is an amazing achievement! Hell, the whole multi-million-dollar blockbuster Kelvin-franchise can take a leaf out of their book!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

10. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whilst I indeed do have some quibbles relating to the amount of changes, I think that ignoring that it is supposed to be the same ship as TOS Enterprise it is a good design. The retro elements make it instantly much more interesting than the overly streamlined designs seen in many other ships in this series. The engines actually look like they were made to propel a ship, not to stab people to death with.

Tosk, lawman and CaptainMurdock like this.
  11. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

I like the Enterprise design

12. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Beautiful, just beautiful. Close enough to the original to cause me goosebumps when I saw it. Looks a bit like a cross between the TOS and Phase 2 versions with ENT-style detailing (and they even cared to have grilles at the tip of the nacelles instead of spheres... they definitely made their homework). Nothing will ever beat the TMP refit Constitution for me, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of this model on later episodes.

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

At this point the Connie is the odd one out there, like 90% of Federation/Earth ships have had the glow.

Someone said in another thread that apparently they wanted it to glow in TOS, but couldn't.

14. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Couldn't say Enterprise in the thread title! Saying it is pretty spoilery. :Lol:

XCV330 likes this.
  15. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

Touche!

I suppose that's 1 point for "Will You Take My Hand?" over "These Are The Voyages": apt release timing.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

How famous was the Enterprise at this point in-universe? Burnham followed in the tradition of saying "It's the Enterprise" with reverence, but is it justified at this point in the timeline? ...Or maybe she said it that way because her "brother" is likely on board?

Hey now, only the poison came in a spray-bottle. We don't know what kind of super-futuristic bottle the milk originally came in. ;)

XCV330 likes this.
  17. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

And I should care about this why?

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You shouldn't.

XCV330 likes this.
  19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Going by how it looked, I was not completely unsatisfied, but also I was not completely satisfied, so between the poll options of "satisfied" and "not satisfied," I went with "not satisfied."

McCoy's lampshading of the original refit and other design changes in TMP is apropos: "I know engineers, they love to change things."

But for me the nacelles and their pylons are the weakest part of the reimaged Connie, and I would most likely have been more satisfied with simply a greebling of and NX-01-like glowing parts on the original's shapes as they were.

It's actually more important how the interiors are reimagined, and both the inside and outside of the Connie are less important than the stories and characters.

If the stories and characters are there, then DSC can earn greater acceptance of its reimagined Connie in my heart, which is how TOS did that with the original starship to begin with.

20. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I think they did, and I'm not a fan. Looks much less graceful.
    I'm torn on the nacelle struts. The hole in the middle seems goofy, but I do like that they preserved the narrowness of the original nacelles. And I like that the biggest change was to something that looks like it could be easily removable.I can imagine a scenario where SF engineers start competing among themselves to make the struts as narrow as possible, because they can.
    The neck I secretly thinks look better, as much as I hate to admit it.