Anyone familiar with the BBC version of Sherlock Holmes? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dorian Thompson, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Re: Anyone familiar with the BBC version of Sherlock Holmes? (spoiler

The two mothers are the same person, just as he is. Faked death. The person playing Mother is a great actress.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

One of these days I need to get around to watching Sherlock. I'm a huge fan of Moffat's Doctor Who (well, Who in general, but the 11/Ponds era is stellar). Plus, you know, it's gotten such rave reviews from everywhere.

But there's always this nagging "No, you should be focusing on Doctor Who!" ....as if creative types can't do multiple things (and as if I didn't enjoy both Buffy and Angel albeit late to the party). Maybe it's because there's relatively so few episodes of British shows anyway compared to what I'm used to with US shows.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

iTunes had the first episode in HD free the other day so I finally got around to watching the pilot and caught another episode on telly and I love it, I'll be picking up the DVD set tomorrow and giving it all a good watch through.

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I couldn't stop laughing my fool head off when Sherlock had his little hissy fit at John telling him to "better yet, stop inflicting your opinions on the world" and when John says he's leaving Sherlock is like, "Where are you going?" :lol: Dammit, you're supposed to stay and fight with me when I'm having a tantrum. :guffaw:

Does Sherlock even call him "John" in any other incarnation of the characters?

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yes, Rathbone, Brett, Cushing and Downey Jr. all do.

6. Dorian Thompson

Well, that goes to show how little Sherlock Holmes I've watched prior to now. :lol:

I watched a few BAFTA clips. Sherlock itself has won for best drama series. Freeman's won as best supporting actor for 2011--he is one funny guy. Andrew Scott's Moriarty won as best supporting actor in 2012--he's a strikingly soft spoken guy who morphs somehow into an unstable psycho. The only one who hasn't won is Cumberbatch himself, which is damnably odd.

When Dominic West (the 2012 winner for lead) actually jokes that his own sister is "crying her eyes out that you didn't win, Ben" during his acceptance speech--that's some funny shit. :lol: Apparently it's been a subject of discussion.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Bought and watched both series, please tell me there's another one soon.

8. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've heard its going to be later this year, but because the actors are busy I have also heard it may be held back till 2014.

9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yep, they apparently don't start production while the Spring, so it could be any time from Winter this year to Summer next year before it's on the air.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was so much raving that I tried The Great Game. There were some amusing lines of course. But I got very impatient wondering why Sherlock didn't seem to realize the game was to distract him from the plans, until he withheld the solution to get ahead of the game. Then at the end, when we're supposed to be all surprised that Holmes was an upstanding patriot, he was just pretending to get on Watson's nerves. How pointlessly unpleasant. The extraordinary collection of mannerisms, tics, spasms and random changes of pitch that was called Moriarty was vivd but not impressive.

Scandal in Belgravia rewrote Adler as a whore in love with Holmes because he both beat her and saved her. I'm not particularly sentimental about the Adler character (I enjoyed the equally criminal version in Zero Effect.) But opting to make the make significant female figure in the series a dominatrix seems rather backward. Also, the line about Holmes and Watson being a couple was an unpleasant reminder that Waton is in an abusive relationship.

Hounds of Baskerville was just dull. Haven't just started Reichenbach Fall, but I'm really having trouble accepting the villains whose plan starts with being captured as charcters to take seriously. Worse, not entertaining either.

11. Dorian Thompson

In all fairness, stj, you don't seem to care much for any show that you review. Oh well, to each his own.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well, at least it's going ahead.

13. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To sidestep back the sub-topic of Steve Moffat's back catalogue, his first TV work, Press Gang, does for the teen series what Sherlock does to Sherlock Holmes (and did it 10 years before Buffy). Well worth seeing...

14. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

And I believe they just showed a couple of episodes on CITVs Old Skool weekend didn't they?

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watching the new Elementary.

A new villain, possibly recurring, on the scene who has a history with Holmes.

His name is M.

The casting of M. is delightfully odd.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, Vinnie Jones.

I've not seen the episode yet. I suspect that he's Sebastian Moran rather than Moriarty.

17. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, the first and last episodes. Unfortunately, it seems the legendary 40 minute first edit of the last episode no longer exists in any form :-(

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Steven Moffat worried that Elementary would damage the brand. Tonight's episode showed that it's Moffat who needs to play catch-up.

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I've been on a BBC kick as of late, and the wife and I just finished watching the series...

Wait a sec, when someone refers to a "series" in the UK, how does one know if they're refering to just a "series", or the entire run of the show.

Anywho, we just watched the entire run of the show...all 6 episodes. Each episode is amazing and has the production quality of a movie.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I suspected the same thing right off the bat. And
    we were both right. This was a pretty good way of introducing Moriarty, and arguably a better use of Moran than the one from Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (although I did like that film's idea of Moran as Moriarty's Watson). Although it does leave it rather more unlikely that this version of Irene Adler will turn out to be alive after all.

I believe the preferred British term for the overall show is "programme."