Anyone familiar with the BBC version of Sherlock Holmes? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dorian Thompson, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

Re: Anyone familiar with the BBC version of Sherlock Holmes? (spoiler

One thing that irked me about the latest Elementary episode was how
    The text from M. Holmes said "check" instead of "cheque". But then, it may not have been something that might have stood out for Watson when reading it.

But then, there was one thought that came to me;
    what if "M. Holmes" is Moriarty? Sherlock has made no secret of how, in his mind, his father doesn't care about him. What if he was right? Joan's time with Holmes could have been set up with one goal in mind; to get him back "in the game".

In which case, the "check"/"cheque" thing might have been intentional.

2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Or "show". Mind you, I've found myself at times using "season" when talking about British shows. Cultural osmosis and all that.

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I finished The Reichenbach Fall. But I think I've made it plain what I found unacceptable about Sherlock. Enough beating a dead horse. Call the knackers.:techman:

M's true identity didn't occur to me beforehand. But every moment I saw him before the reveal, his identity as Moriarty was unbelievable and unfitting. Thus the denouement made a great introduction to the true Morariarty, who is still left conveniently left off stage, for now.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Strange thing, it's really become interchangeable. I'm railing against it and saying series even for American shows now though. But on the subject it reminded me of this...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDcC-wdutqA[/yt]

5. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Hah! Yeah, I thunk of that, too.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with you. However, for sake of argument...

Holmes states that only half of the bodies in the M series were recovered, which leaves open the possibility that Irene Adler was among the half of the victims who are only presumed dead. It could be that Moriarty only faked Irene's death in that very gruesome manner.

That said, based on his reaction to her death Holmes would have been absolutely confident that Irene was in fact dead, even in the absence of a body. 3 quarts of blood leaves a lot of evidence about where it came from, even if the body isn't there.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Moriarty would have had to have found Irene's sibling to make an accurate bloodpool... Or broken into where ever her medical records were to switch them or fixed the result of the DNA test confirming her identity.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe we should have a separate thread for discussing Elementary, but for the moment...

Given Mr. Holmes's intelligence, he may have simply chosen to adjust the spelling for Watson's ease of comprehension. Also the American spelling is one letter shorter and thus slightly more efficient to type.

Interesting thought, but of course the M most likely stands for Mycroft. Either this version of the show has changed the relationship from fraternal to parental, or we'll discover that Holmes's older brother is acting in loco parentis for some reason.

I was just thinking on similar lines (and posting my thoughts on another BBS). I wondered if
    Irene was complicit in faking her death, and took the time to collect several bags of her own blood, enough to equal the desired quantity but drawn gradually enough to let her body replenish it. I think that blood-bank supplies generally have some kind of preservative or additive in them, but if the desire was to fake forensic evidence, maybe just keeping the blood in cold storage would've been adequate for their needs.

9. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Yes, there should be a separate thread for Elementary. I started this as a Sherlock thread until Christopher changed the subject.

I tried one more episode of Elementary since people claimed the pilot was weak.
    After a second viewing my opinion isn't any different. A lukewarm series with a good lead in Jonny Lee Miller. I won't be giving it a third chance. It's just doesn't grab you the way Sherlock does. It's too "American CSI-ish." There's nothing to captivate you about the characters and Liu is unremarkable. There were only a dozen actresses who would have made a half decent lead.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

should that be spoiler coded, saying we are discussing a UK TV show and S1 Part 2 Of Elementary has yet to air in the UK.

11. Guy Gardener

Holmes without Moriarty is like sex without costumes.

It's inevitable.

The next four posts after mine are the buggers that blew away any hint of obfuscation.

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tell that to Conan-Doyle, who wrote all but three of his Holmes stories without even a mention of Moriarty.

But yes, screen Holmes without Moriarty is never going to happen.

13. Guy Gardener

I wondered if that was true truism.

So I tested the IMDB page of the adventures of Shirley Holmes just to check, if there wasn't some girl teen nemesis of Sherlock's Canadian Great grand daughter?

No Moriarty.

However.

There is a recurring character called "Molly Hardy".