Any mention of Data in post-Nemesis novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Danoz, Dec 9, 2009.

1. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

actually, I think her looks more liek Nimoy out of makeup, and then not so much. I think it's the nose that does him in, and the lack of Nimoy's leaner look.

That's what happens when you cast a gentile. :p

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And the voice. Uncountable novels have mentioned Spock's deep, remarkable voice. Part of the character. Quinto lacks that voice entirely.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

And yet he got Nimoy's cadences and verbal tics down perfectly. It was more than sufficient to believe that this was Spock and suspend disbelief.

But we're not talking about his voice, we're talking about his appearance.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The only new cast member who bears a vocal resemblance to the original is Yelchin, and his version of a Russian accent is so different from Koenig's that it pretty much swamps the resemblance. So it's kind of silly to single Quinto out there. And Sci, I agree with you about the speech cadences, and also about the expressions. There were moments when I felt he was channeling Nimoy. There was even a moment in a Heroes episode (after he'd been cast as Spock and been studying under Nimoy for a while) where Sylar said a line and I found the movement of his face as he spoke to be uncannily Spockish.

5. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Not that I have objection to the discussion as it has turned, I do wonder how Zachary Quinto, Leonard Nimoy, and Spock have anything at all to do with Nemesis, Data, and Brent Spiner. :shifty:

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Kinda my fault. The discussion about Data inspired a thought about Data's development in the movies, but I posted it on my blog as part of a larger discussion about both the TOS and TNG movies, and then Claudia posted a reply here to an observation I made about Quinto/Spock in my blog post, and that spun off a sidebar discussion, and then Claudia mentioned she had a hard time seeing Quinto as Spock rather than Sylar, and I said I felt Quinto was the one who most closely resembled the original, and then it just kinda went off the rails in response to that.

So... does anyone think Zachary Quinto would make a good Data? :D

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

8. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

Spocked up? :biggrin:

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was me, and all I meant was that I couldn't find any pictures that match my criteria. I know there are pictures like that out there, I just tend to be rather paranoid about what websites I go to, so I only stayed on MA, IMDB, wikipedia, and Trekcore.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep. ;)

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to say in these pics they look like brothers. Not identical, of course not.. but if you presented them as brothers no one would remark (as people sometimes do if families have really diverse looks) "wow, you guys don't look anything alike!". Nope, you would just accept that they were brothers. I would even pick these two out as related if you gave me a photo of ten random people.

I know that wasn't the effect you intended Shazam, but the pic is very cool.

12. seigezunt

so, how about that Data guy, and his appearing in Star Trek novels, hm?

13. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I think the possibility of flashing back to Data in the post-Nemesis novels would be okay, but they should never actually bring him back, whether it be through B4 or some other means. All the emotional resonance from his sacrifice would be negated.

On the other hand, Geordi figuring out a way to bring back Data could make for a really cool story, as long as it was done with the proper amount of care and made sense (at least as far as Star Trek is concerned ;).)

Two differing opinions in one post :eek:. Holy shit ;)! Maybe this will get us back on topic...

14. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have no problems with Data being mentioned in the post-Nemesis novels, given how he was a part of Picard, Crusher, and La Forge's daily lives for the better part of fifteen years. Nor would I have a problem with a flashback to things that happened with Data if the story called for it.

But the idea of bringing Data back through B4 has always left a bad taste in my mouth, and I imagine that it would have the same effect with Data himself - this is his brother. He may be less advanced than Data, but doesn't he deserve to exist just as much as Data, perhaps more so, since Data had his time and left his mark, while B4 hasn't had that opportunity. Granted, without sufficient upgrading, B4 probably wouldn't make much of an impact, but I would think that Data would want him to have the chance.

15. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Suppose McCoy had Spock's katra in Star Trek III, but Spock's body was lost. Now suppose Spock had a mentally retarded little brother. How many people would argue for having Spock's katra put into the brother's head? How many people would suspect it wouldn't work, because the hardware (the brain) souldn't be able to run more sophisticated software (Spock's katra)? How many people would have ethical qualms about eliminating a personality in favour of another person's personality?

16. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is no, nor was there any "emotiontional resonance" from that scene. There was shock and anger, but that's directed at the people that made the movie, not anything IN the movie.

As for the idea of Data replacing B4, I noted several ideas a page or two back, but the mods thought I was pitching a novel or something rather than a) trying to get the conversation back on track and b) commenting on a topic that was bound to come up int his thread and citing examples of HOW you could bring data back without destroying B4. so I'm not going to repeat them.

17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has them (ok, some people like my step father don't, but my point stands) and if Paris thinks there was emotional resonance of Data's sacrifice in Nemesis then that is his opinion, one that I share actually and just because you don't feel the same, does not make it any less vallied than your opinion on it.

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Have we met in person before :wtf:? Have we ever watched Nemesis together :cardie:? I only ask because you seem to think that you are somehow intune with my emotional state. How would you know what I feel when I watch a particular movie?

I know that the movie wasn't all that great, but I watched Data go through seven seasons on tv and 4 movies, and when he died, it struck a chord inside me. I was sad and disappointed that he was gone. Or was I? You seem to be the expert. You tell me :vulcan:...

19. seigezunt

That would have made a better Star Trek V. Already had the idiot brother. :lol:

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quinto's resemblance as Spock to Nimoy as Spock is remarkable and far, far beyond what could reasonably have been expected.