Am I the only one who thinks the space station setting on "DS9" is a strength and not a weakness?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Jayson1, May 11, 2017.

1. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I'm trying to say that it's a sort of "technicality" that they're supposedly in a different star system each week on Voyager, because the planets and cultures and people are so similar that they might as well not be going anywhere.

2. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

You think? How come it was structured that way? It wasn't a reply it was a misrepresentation.

3. UnknownSample

It was a typing mistake, which I am now correcting.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Amaris and UnknownSample like this.
  5. Refuge

Good for you if that is what you want to say. Just make sure you don't 'accidentally' attribute it to me.

6. Refuge

Hmm Okay.

7. UnknownSample

I cannot guarantee that I will never make another mistake, since no one can. Try to be patient with us humans.

Balok's Decoy and Kuni like this.
  8. Refuge

Don't worry about it the right people have your back.

9. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why so hostile? I know you love "Voyager" and hate "DS9" but these are just tv shows. I have even been able to cut down my virgin sacrifices to my "DS9" shrine to one a year now. I mean it got us a Documentary so I might even go down to zero a year from this moment forward.

As for taking chances I can list 5 for right now but I can even come up with more if I have to.
    1 First Black Captain. Something that I think played a role in the show not being a huge hit. I don't think it was the main reason but I do think it factored in somewhere.
    2 Space Station. All the other shows were not only on ships but they had also had been on THE ship and that is a Enterprise.
    3 Conflict among the characters. Granted that also exsited on "TOS" but at the time the Roddenberry rules were still being treated with respect by people like Rick Berman. Also some of the characters weren't Starfleet.
    4 A more honest look at the Federation. Not only did you see this from the perspective of characters like KIra,Odo and Quark you also saw things like the Maquis,War and Section 31 to name a few that also took a deeper look at the Federation and it's values.
    5 Religion. Not sure if I like how the Prophets became a big deal but to tackle the issue is big for a "Star Trek" which had become a aithest utopia on "TNG."

Jason

10. UnknownSample

It sounded conciliatory to me.

11. Refuge

I actually think it is nice to feel in a safe place, like on your favorite forum.

And frankly I am intruding.. Enjoy DS9. I shall whinge no more! Might even watch through again one day.

12. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Being stationary made DS9 as boring as a hospital, police station, or MASH. I glad there are no shows set in those locations.

13. Jayson1

Refuge is kind of mad at me because I made a thread in "Voyager" about the show taking chances. She thinks Niners go over their just to piss on "Voyager." I tried to tell her I like the show but I just have problems with it but I guess she must have been burned to much by to much criticism over the years which she see's as it mostly coming from Niners.

Jason

14. Refuge

I haven't been here for years.. months at the most, lol.

15. Refuge

Do you think hospitals, police stations and army medical units are spawned from the concept of boldly going where no man has gone before? Of Star 'trekking'?

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Accidental misquotes happen all the time and is nothing to get worked up about. It is not an abuse of the board, it's just a mistake. Please Try and keep that in mind in future.

17. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Where did they boldly go on the holodeck? Plenty of episodes were bottled up.

18. Refuge

True.. I love the holodeck episodes. Wish I had one myself. Not an episode, but a holodeck.

19. Jayson1

Intresting enough that has been similar to my story as well. Use to come a lot and then went without internet for 8 to 10 years and now I am back.

As for the Star Trek going where no man has gone before, that is just a catchphrase. Trek can be anything it wants as long as it's good. Why do you think Trek can only work with one premise?

Jason

20. Refuge

It seems intrinsic in the meaning of 'premise', It is its core directive, it's undertaking. You know, these are the *voyages* of the Star Ship dot dot dot.. it's whatever year mission to boldly *go*. Cue the music.. Star *Trekking* across the Universe. I don't think it is a catchphrase but a mission statement. Why is that so wrong? Why are different aliens of the week not a good thing? If Deep Space Nine had its value as a station that doesn't mean it is the only way to go either.