Am I the only one that likes the nazi time travel episode

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Voth commando1, May 8, 2017.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the historical Earth aspect.
    I didn't quite enjoy the silly alien Nazi thing.

Kor

2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The episodes themselves were pretty good, though short of outstanding. There were some really interesting ideas in there (the New York Mob being a keystone of the resistance against the occupation, and the newsreel that opened part 2 makes my skin crawl, not in the least because of how much is real (damned Bund)). But the part I love is the season 3 cliffhanger that introduced it. Enterprise's first really solid season was being tied up, but there was still a lot of bad blood, and then rather than giving a clean ending, we have the most out-of-left-field thing ever with a shuttlepod being attacked by P-51s and Archer in a Nazi troop camp commanded by an alien.

I just started laughing madly as soon as those fighters showed up, because I was sure that there would be heads exploding on this very board. It was cathartic. In a way, the whole production was a palate-cleanser that lead to the prequelly fourth season, not just by tying off the Temporal Cold War plotline, but by being so totally high-concept and over the top that the feel of the show would be allowed to land in such a different place from where it had been.

3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Am I wrong in thinking P51s could do very limited damage to the shuttlepod? I thought that was made with futuristic metal?

4. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The .50 caliber guns on a Mustang could likely do a lot of damage to a shuttlepod. My impression is that the shuttlepods were fairly light weight.

5. Gingerbread Demon

So they weren't made with exotic new metals? What about any of the Enterprise ships, could they withstand a .50 cal round or two?

6. WARLOCK1965

WARLOCK1965 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Please think about how the shuttles or orbiters of NASA had a cremic blocks that needed replacement due to damage from smallast objects the shuttlepods may have a coating somewhat the same on them and if damage badly it could lot to much heat to the raw metal and the inside too over heat and explosive it is a guess

7. Gingerbread Demon

Yeah true but I figured by the time the NX01 is built and later designs they had found all these new exotic metals that were stronger then normal Earth metals like steel to withstand the stress of spaceflight and such.

8. WARLOCK1965

You could think of it as away of think
    Please remember that the NX-01 was the a prototype and the shuttlepods where too and as prototype the metal may have been different but any small hitting the surface could make small dents in the metal and add in that in the atmosphere the bullets would be hot and add in the fact that weight as a factor in thickness of the metal as well new but it could be very thin as well

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I recall, the shuttlepod was hit at the end of "Zero Hour" but her hull not breached. Everyone just looked at each other going, "wtf?" when we heard the bullets hitting the hull. They weren't panicking.

Enterprise was only under threat when she took on planes armed with future alien disruptor cannons.

10. WARLOCK1965

OK but the shuttlepods have exhaust vents and maybe a bullets could go in that way because it was multiple P 51 that was firing at them plus the surprise of seeing what to them as an impossibly but was and not being sure of the bullets make up

11. Tenacity

The armor-piercing bullets of the Mustang's 6 guns (combined 5000 rounds per minute) would each hit with a force of between 14 and 18 kilojoules.
    But was that bullets, or flak from the anti-aircraft guns on the ground?

12. Gingerbread Demon

Yeah but most of the Enterprise class ships would just laugh at that wouldn't they?

13. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not a Nazi, I just play one on TV.

14. WARLOCK1965

Please remember that in spacertain things are cold but in a planets atmosphere things get hot

15. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, most of the tiles were LI-900 silica tiles, made from essentially very pure quartz sand. The composition was roughly 10% silica fibres and 90% air. The outer coating was black-glazed borosilicate. So the "ceramic" part was something you could easily poke your finger through. I know. I've done it.

A Space Shuttle could be critically wounded by a pocket knife and a little elbow grease. One would hope a Federation starship could take a bit more scuffing up.

16. WARLOCK1965

One would think so but the ceramic is the thin heat shield and it possible that the shuttlepods would have the and that would be a reasonable reason to get away from anything that could damage it

17. WARLOCK1965

Question which Enterprise Class are thinking of NX Class or the Constitution Class sub-class or other sub-class that could have been Enterprise class ships

18. Tenacity

We're discussing the shuttlepod.

19. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Captain Captain

Not to first read 5 pages before a quick comment, but I liked the episodes with the Nazis. I like most time travel stories.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Yanks likes this.
  20. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I thought Storm Front I&II were the best "Nazi" episodes in all of Trek