Spoilers All Things STAR WARS - News, Speculation & Spoilers Thread

What happens if your internet is down for maintenance, or because a cable got cut accidentally or something? Guess I can't pass the time playing Outlaws...
For most games you just need to internet when you first start up so it can check for updates, but once the game gets going you usually can play without the internet, at least on the Playstation consoles. You obviously won't be use only features, but most single player games probably won't need them to play it.
Outlaws is definitely very high up on my list of games I want once I get a PS5.

11c735c3-750c-4fd9-a804-4e038873ad70.jpg

Is there a reason we haven't gotten any original tie ins for any of the Disney+ series? It just seems strange to me that we've gotten 3 Seasons of The Mandalorian and The Bad Batch, and 1 each of The Clone Wars, The Book of Boba Fett, Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Ahsoka, and yet we haven't gotten a original tie-in comic or novel to go with any of them. At the same time Star Trek has given us numerous tie-ins to all of the Paramount + series.
Even if they can't fit stories in the during the shows, there's no reason they couldn't do what Paramount and Simon & Schuster did with Discovery and Picard and do prequels.

There was going to be a Mandalorian novel a few years ago, but that was cancelled without explanation. Due to the timing, some speculated it was supposed to be a Cara Dune centered novel and was pulled because of Gina Carano being fired, though IIRC, that's just baseless speculation.

Everything published for SW is canon, so they probably don't want to do anything while those shows are in production just to be safe.

The Book of Boba Fett just didn't seem to be all that well received so it probably won't get much tie-in love.

There was going to be a Mandalorian novel a few years ago, but that was cancelled without explanation. Due to the timing, some speculated it was supposed to be a Cara Dune centered novel and was pulled because of Gina Carano being fired, though IIRC, that's just baseless speculation.
IIRC there was also going to be a Mandalorian Visual Guide as well, but it was pulled because the show was still ongoing.

Oh right, I forgot about that.
Everything published for SW is canon, so they probably don't want to do anything while those shows are in production just to be safe.
That could be it, but I would still think there would be ways to do tie-ins without stepping on the shows' toes.

That was how they did things back during the ST days with a fair chunk of the tie-in media only being there to support the cinematic releases. Since then though, they shifted publishing to focus mostly on the High Republic initiative. I suspect the latter is probably the better approach since it frees up the authors to do mostly their own original stuff rather than always just feeding on the scraps left-over from the live-action projects.

I suspect the main reason we haven't gotten much tying into anything from the Mandoverse largely has to do with Filloni and Favreau needing to approve and oversee anything dealing with their characters, and they're very busy people. Indeed that need for close coordination may be one of the main reasons publishing broke off to focus on a whole separate era to begin with. The only time it really worked well in the past is with the 'Rogue One' tie-in books, and I suspect that came off mostly because it was an even more collaborative effort all-round than usual, so not everything needed to go though one or two people. Also likely how 'Rebels' was able to dovetail with that project so seamlessly.

At this point I suspect Favreau might not want to define too much about Dyn or his backstory beyond the stories he's telling. Even the stuff like the destruction of Mandalore crosses over with Ahsoka & Sabine's backstory (mid-story?) and Filloni might want to tell some of that in season 2. Oh and I wouldn't be shocked if whatever the next animation project they're doing has some kind of connection to that part of the timeline too, so that whole era may be ring-fenced for now.

On the non-fiction front; word is that the ST visual dictionaries and crosssection books didn't sell all that well, which is why they pivoted to combining them into the visual guide format used for Rogue One and Solo. Indeed, they did put out just such a one for some of the Disney+ shows fairly recently in the form of the 'Dawn of Rebellion: Visual Guide', which lumps together Andor, Kenobi, Rebels, Bad Batch, Fallen Order and other related projects. One assumes if that sold well enough they're probably already putting together a New Republic one to cover the Mandoverse thus-far. I'd say there's a non-zero percent chance that it may already be ready to go, but they're holding onto it until 'Skeleton Crew' is out later this year.

I guess why they're doing that now. Maybe once the shows are over and they have more freedom we'll see more.

Well the High Republic initiative is coming to a close soon, and the movies are going back into production, so it remains to be seen whether they'll switch back into support mode, or stay the course and start another new publishing initiative all their own.

Back