Spoilers All Things STAR WARS - News, Speculation & Spoilers Thread

If that's an Ortolan like Max Rebo then it looks as if he has two arms and two legs, unlike the recent retcon of Max Rebo's anatomy to be just two legs that he uses in the raised position for hands to play his red ball organ. If so, I'm glad. The idea of a diapered Max Rebo with two legs and two arms was always a little funny but the mental image of a lumpy blue torso with a head, flloppy ears and two legs that jut upwards to play instruments was way dumber.
Well first off that's not a retcon so much as a de-retcon. Max having just the two legs (and a presumably prehensile nose and possibly ears too?) was always Phil Tippett's intention with the design; it's just how they executed it with the puppet didn't convey it clearly once a person got in side and started operating it. The Kenner people who had to go off of production stills, quite understandably interpreted the design incorrectly when making the toy, and it just kinda stuck.

But yes, from what I've seen the Ortolan kid in 'Skeleton Crew' is indeed of the 4-limbed Kenner style. Personally I don't see any problem or contradiction with it. The Kenner version is just as much a part of Star Wars as the original Tippet configuration, and it doesn't take a huge amount of imagination to reconcile the two.
For example: perhaps there are two sub-species of Orolans; the more common four limbed caste from Orto's extensive glacial polar regions, and the much rarer two-limbed tree-climbers & waders of the equatorial bayoos?
Or, perhaps it's something to do with an Orolan's life-cycle? Maybe they loose their "baby legs" as they mature?
Maybe she is a Miraluka. They have no eyes.
That was my assumption.
While I don't recall any specific Miraluka characters using cybernetics like that in any of the old EU material; but then most of those were Jedi and thus wouldn't need them. There were however numerous mask options for Miraluka in the SWTOR character creator that had a certain cybernetic look to them, and honestly that's probably where one would find the largest pool of Miraluka characters in any image search.

It makes sense honestly for a breed of humans* born eyeless to use cybernetics to get around, especially away from their homeworld; if for no other reason than being able to use even simple displays and computer controls.

*I've always disliked the term "near human", as it has a condescending tone that doesn't fit IMO outside of the Imperial Era, so I just prefer to think of such more as human cousins, and descendents of ancient strand-cast lines.

If that's an Ortolan like Max Rebo then it looks as if he has two arms and two legs, unlike the recent retcon of Max Rebo's anatomy to be just two legs that he uses in the raised position for hands to play his red ball organ. If so, I'm glad. The idea of a diapered Max Rebo with two legs and two arms was always a little funny but the mental image of a lumpy blue torso with a head, flloppy ears and two legs that jut upwards to play instruments was way dumber.
I've never seen that version of him before, I had always assumed he had arms and legs.

These images where his elbows look like knees ( because they are basically knees ) would be all well and good, but does he look that way in ROTJ?

I've never seen that version of him before, I had always assumed he had arms and legs.
This old article by Pablo Hidalgo on the official site lays it out pretty thoroughly (complete with photos and concept art), but the short versions is that yes, as I said he was always meant to be playing with his feet, and they did sculpt the puppet to have those limbs look like legs. It's just once you get an actual human puppeteer inside that thing, it's very very hard to make arm movements look like leg movements. Things can only bend a certain way after all. Kenner incorrectly interpreted it (as did most viewers, to be fair), the RPG books ran with it, and nobody at LF bothered to correct the error . . . until about 30 years later.

As illustrated; Once you get it into your head that the "ears" are actually flippers, he suddenly looks a lot less like a blue elephant man, and much more like a blue squishy, fat-bottomed penguin, and it makes a whole lot more sense.

Small aside; you can also get a good glimpse of the puppet in it's early stages in the classic BtS doc.
You listen to this, and then realize that 1983 wasn't nearly as far away from Disco as 2024 is. ;)
It's even more obvious when you hear the english rendition used on set: -
Though I can see an argument for it being more funk than disco, if one wants to get into musical genre hair-splitting.

Last edited:
This old article by Pablo Hidalgo on the official site lays it out pretty thoroughly (complete with photos and concept art), but the short versions is that yes, as I said he was always meant to be playing with his feet, and they did sculpt the puppet to have those limbs look like legs. It's just once you get an actual human puppeteer inside that thing, it's very very hard to make arm movements look like leg movements. Thing can only bend a certain way after all. Kenner incorrectly interpreted it (as did most viewers, to be fair), the RPG books ran with it, and nobody at LF bothered to correct the error . . . until about 30 years later.

As illustrated; Once you get it into your head that the "ears" are actually flippers, he suddenly looks a lot less like a blue elephant man, and much more like a blue squishy, fat-bottomed penguin, and it makes a whole lot more sense.

Small aside; you can also get a good glimpse of the puppet in it's early stages in the classic BtS doc.
Seeing it now, I kind of like the original version, it's definitely more unique than your standard two arms and legs in the design based on the Kenner figure.

444212997-25916729634607930-2382171928092922479-n.jpg

Luke was a straight up gangsta in the Throne Room in these deleted scenes, even moreso than we see in the official edits that have been out since 1983.

Back