All good things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've stated elsewhere, I'll miss you, DEA. Good luck with future endeavors.
frown.gif

4-GOM

------------------
"Strange. I miss Moya. A shipful of aliens seems so normal."
- John Crichton, Farscape's Won't Get Fooled Again
The TrekBBS SF & Fantasy Forum: BTVS, DROM, FS, SG-1, SW, and novels.

Wow... who would've seen that one coming?
DEAverification has got to be one of the funniest mods we've had... in a slightly unusual way. I know I'll miss your "Warp Factor Ban" style anouncements; please stay on the board though, we don't want to lose a good poster.

Good luck in the non-modhood you've embraced, DEA.

JimH
"The honour is to serve."

------------------
JimH
Cogito ergo sum. Does this mean that if I don't think then I don't exist?

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

http://www.unseen.f9.co.uk

A week. I leave for a lousy week and the place just falls apart. Well, that'll teach me to move.

DEA you will be missed. I certainly hope you continue posting and showing your face around here. The place just wouldn't be the same without you.

As an old mentor of mine once told me on his deathbed: "Haden Mischenken, velemesen bashen po pippikaken." I really don't know what that means, I don't speak any other languages. Interestingly, neither did he.

Stay smiling, stay strong, and always remember that you are respected and well loved on this board.

WWJCD, dude... What would Jackie Chan do?

Klptzyxm!

IMHO, Christian could do with some time amongst the groundlings.

You were a good Admin, DEA. I'm not familiar with your 'mistakes', but I saw you make some damned good calls.

Off to edit FTR...

Josh

Since I've only been on this board for a few months, my opinion means very little. Nevertheless, I have respected your opinion more than most and will continue to do so until the day you leave this BBS forever.

One day, we shall all pass beyond the rim.

frown.gif

Wow.... I never expected this...

Your resignation is definitely a huge blow to the TrekBBS. You've been one of the longest serving Mods/Admins that this board has ever had, and I think your presence not only as an admin, but also as a moderator has had a profound effect on all of the board.

I can't say this without a doubt, that you've always been my favorite administrator here. Perhaps I'm a little biased, because I owe my position as mod of TNG to you... but I truly believe that you have been everything an admin is supposed to be, and more.

I hope you remain with us as a member. There remains very few Old Guard members left, and we definitely don't want to lose another who has been a part of our online lives for so long.

And one last thing... thank you. Thank you for eveyrthing you've done for this board, and everything you've done for us.

I did'nt see this coming and I'm so surprised, DEA. You were so often better able to articulate what I wanted to say. I thought your judgement calls were always right on target and that some things were finally going to start falling into place. I do believe the board appears weaker everytime a banned member violates their ban and nothing is done. I've seen far too many bans simply forgiven and I don't understand why this is being done.

Well, I just wanted you to know that you were appreciated. I think your input counted for something and I hope people will carry on your ideals. I hope you can still have fun here and keep posting.

I think this is terrible DEA that you had to do this.
frown.gif
It stinks that those trolls ran you off.
frown.gif
frown.gif

DEA, you were strong, fair and honest. That will be missed by all who come here for fun that is not at the expense of others. I suspect there is an ulterior motive!
wink.gif

SPOILER ALERT
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
You've gotten a second job so you can buy that Dodge Stratus you've got the hots for.
grin.gif

Seriously, the candor is refreshing and I seriously hope you'll continue to post.

------------------
"I'm not saying what I'm thinking. I'm not even thinking what I'm thinking." John Sheridan

Woo-HOO?? Lennier

Thank you for the great job you did as an admin over the last two years. You will be missed.

------------------
More than meets the eye.

God help us.

DEA, as a mod who feels like he's going insane every so often, I can only imagine how it must feel like to actually administrate this place. While I am deeply saddened to see you go, I can completely understand why you're leaving.

Of all the people I've met here there is no one I respect more than you. No, you and I have not always agreed on Trek, or politics, or board policy, but I've come to respect your intelligence, forthrightness, and conviction. When you believe you're right, you don't beat around the bush. When you think you're wrong, you're willing to admit it, challenge yourself, and use it as a learning experience. The fact that you were the one to hire me for this position despite our differences says more about your integrity than my poor qualifications as a moderator. Those are the marks of a keen intellect and a true heart. I say without irony, and hopefully without over-sentiment, that you are a gentleman, a patriot, and (I'd like to think) a friend.

The sad fact is that if someone like you cannot do this job, it casts serious doubts on whether any of us can long survive without finding that we've sacrificed too much for this place. You obviously love this place, as do so many other members of the staff and regular membership. But this isn't the same place that any of us signed up for. Change is not necessarily a bad thing, but neither is it necessarily positive. As with so many things in life what happens to us is not as important as how we choose to face it. Over the last few months we have all begun to question how we as a board have chosen to face what has happened to this place. We've experienced an explosion in membership, which should be something to rejoice over. Unfortunately, we find ourselves looking for ways to curtail the number of people joining. We find ourselves faced with a miniscule but vocal minority group of ethically and mentally disturbed trolls. Many of us look at coming to the bbs as more of a chore than the escape we once found it to be. I don't even enjoy going into my own forum most of the time.

And DEA is right to point out that this isn't about the actions of a troll, but the inaction of an administration.

Christian has outlined a set of reforms for the BBS Policy. Some good ideas, some bad. I would suggest all that care about the bbs to make their voices heard either in the relevant QSF thread or Announcement Thread. And while I applaud Christian's goals, I must say that I doubt the means by which he has chosen and continues to choose to pursue them. Specifics on that will have to wait for the Briefing Room. Sorry, folks, but when you swear at the boss it's best to do it behind closed doors.

So, congratulations on a new birth of freedom, Lane. It's well earned. Please don't go far. Your insights, your jokes and your bionic arse will always be welcome here. Maybe you and I can debate the civil war again, and maybe I'll let you win this time.
wink.gif

wS? (Andy)

------------------
". . . that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." -Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg 1863

Where is Saavik?

Oh that is bad news to me
frown.gif

Well the good thing is that you still will be around
smile.gif

I always liked your way around here DEA, you did a good job, I just hope your work will be continued.
Well LISA and LL will do good but a new Admin would be needed I guess, hope they will find a good one
smile.gif

------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
He has laughed and he has cried.
He has fought and he has died.
He's just the same as all the rest.
He's not the worst, he's not the best.

I'm sorry to see you go DEA. Your dedication and wit will be sorely missed. Best of luck.

Originally posted by Josh Lehto:
IMHO, Christian could do with some time amongst the groundlings.

Josh

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Josh Lehto's statement. I think Christian is to far removed from the day to day activities on this board to make any objective calls on how we need to proceed. The troll problem has become far to serious for half measures. I, for one, would not object to IP logging, as I don't feel the hide behind a second persona to make my views heard.

Now that my little rant's over, I'd just like to say that I'm going to miss DEA's words of wisdom. In the 7 months I've been visiting here, I've always found him to be amusing, witty and above all, fair in his judgements (even when he gave me a one day ban.)

It's not going to be the same here.

------------------
"Spelling should be pensioned off... it terrorises human beings from birth." - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Trek Talk.

"The greatest thing a man can do in this world is to make the most possible out of the stuff that has been given him. This is success, and there is no other."
-Orison Swett Marden

Congratulations on your success, Lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back