Alien, Predator, AvP (news)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral Jean-Luc Picard, Oct 16, 2020.

1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

New Alien game announced.

publiusr and 137th Gebirg like this.
  2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the one, yeah.

3. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. AvP should have been set off Earth, sometime after Aliens, and involved a three-way between the Colonial Marines, Predators, and Xenomorphs. Kind of like the first couple of games back in the day.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I want to see a Predator looking through the debris of Outpost 31…

5. Roundabout

Roundabout Commander Red Shirt

Besides the muscle flexing, the cast of that first Predator movie had the distinction of including two future U.S. state governors IRL. So far, it is still the best of the Predator movies.

Has any Predator movie featured a female Predator. It might be an interesting change up if a future Predator or AvP movie featured a female Predator.

I wonder if Arnold would be interested in doing another Predator, or better yet, an AvP movie. Arnoldnator against Predator and Xenomorph. That would be exciting.

publiusr likes this.
  6. thribs

You’re right. Maybe it is a lady Yautja here.
    I don’t recall any female Predators in the movies but I think there was one in the Rage War novel trilogy.

Roundabout likes this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen 1, 2, and Predators in any female Predators in any of them. I've been meaning to ask, where does the name Yautja for the Predator species come from? I've seen it used all over the place, but I don't remember it being used in any of the movies.

8. thribs

Must be from the comics. It’s the canon name for them since the new Marvel comic also uses the name.

publiusr likes this.
  9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

For all we know, every Predator we've seen so far is female. ;)

I believe it first came from Steve Perry in one of the novels.

Roundabout likes this.
  10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I remember seeing a number of garage resin figurines of lady Preds. Of course, they’re clearly based off of a female human physique. Unless Preds have somehow also evolved identically as mammals, I suspect they probably shouldn’t have human looking breasts and hips like Marilyn Monroe with dreads and a helmet. Tosk could be right - they may all be female by human biological standards. I doubt we’ll ever know, and honestly I hope we never do.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Personally, I like to think they don't correspond to normal Earth standards. Maybe they're all a single gender. Maybe they switch. Maybe there's more than two.

publiusr and 137th Gebirg like this.
  12. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you believe the books and comics, the species is basically mammalian including gender and reproductive traits. Also, the females, at least of some clans, are way bigger than the males.

But the movies have never mentioned them. They could easily change everything about them if they like.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Depends on which books. There are some that present a wholly different lore.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

How can you be sure they haven't ALL been females thus far? It's not unusual in communal predatory species for the females to be the hunters. For all we know the males of that species are all short, skinny, wispy things that mostly just hang around the nests feeding the brood . . . or being fed to the brood . . .
    Or they could do it like some angler fish do and anatomically fuse.

I think what you're really asking here is "what if they tried giving them wasp waists and boobs?", to wit I think most people would say "why!?"

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, with what little information we've gotten about them onscreen, there's really no way to know what kind of sexual dimorphism the Predator species has.

16. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's one of the reasons I like Predator 2 just as much as the first. Lt. Mike Harrigan doesn't have Dutch's special forces training, but he still manages to stand toe to toe with and kick the Predator's ass! :)

Booji and Tosk like this.
  17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I mean just how many bullets does Bill Duke fire into the jungle with that minigun? I mean the Predator is injured, but it's just a scratch.

I actually really like Predators.

My rankings would go something like...

Predator
    Predators
    Predator 2
    AVP1
    The Predator
    AVP 2

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched 2 a while back, and I enjoyed it. One of the biggest things I have to compliment the creators on, is that they actually did something different, rather than just doing more of what the first one did.

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

My ranking, seeing as no one asked. ;)

Predator
    Predator 2

Predators
    AvP
    The Predator

AvP2

Starkers and Booji like this.
  20. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same for me, except I can't even remember the AVP movies well enough to rate them. And yet I still suspect they must have been at least slightly better than the dumpster fire that was The Predator.

Starkers likes this.