Alien 5: An Open Message About Newt, Hicks, and Bishop

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JWPlatt, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

No, totally plausible and reasonable. Why would a Superfacehugger create only a vulnerable Queen?

2. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Anybody ever read the Dark Horse/Mark Verheiden trilogy of comics? They were basically what people wanted from Alien3 (They were published the half dozen year gap between Aliens and Alien3). Unfortunately their reprints were altered and edited to fit (kind of slopilly) into the events of Alien3, although Steve Perry's later novel adaptations sort of fixed some of that up a bit. However the original versions are a bit hard to find I think.

A lot of Dark Horse's later Alien comics also follow their continuity, with the Aliens having taken over Earth.

3. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

"Logic and Alien physiology will always yield to the needs of dramatic storytelling."
    -Martok2112's Adaptive Law of Storytelling.

4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

And then A:R wiped out the whole Dark Horse Aliens catalog in one blow by stating there had been NO Xeno sightings since Ripley's death on Fiorina 161.

5. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Makes you wonder though, why no one bothered to perhaps check out the derelict in the movie canon post-Aliens. (I know it's been revisited many times in the other fiction though). It's never quite explained if it got caught up in the colony's destruction. How far out was it anyway?

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The only way I can see around the stupidity / gaping logic and plot holes in Alien 3 is if 'the company' boarded the ship and arranged the implantation.

Wouldn't be too big a stretch to substitute Hicks Newt and Ash at the same time.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Vulnerable to what? The Queen is still an acid blood filled killing machine with the added bonus of being a giant acid blood filled killing machine that can lay eggs to make more acid blood filled killing machines as needed.

8. Nightowl1701

Yeah, but she's still got to grow up to become that giant acid blood filled killing machine. While she's still in chestburster mode, she can be taken out. To get to adult size, she'd probably need a lot more food than the average Alien. She'll hunt if she has to, but she knows the survival and future of the hive depends exclusively on her own survival. That is her top priority. And once full grown and pumping out eggs, she can't go anywhere, yet can't just sit around forever either and wait for hosts to come to her (especially armed). So she needs a drone to run interference and provide nourishment until she's ready to produce, and then have it bring the (unarmed) hosts, alive, to be webbed up.

9. Autistoid

Autistoid Captain

Best Analysis ever.

This is why I love the alien franchise, even AVP.

I'd argue four even fits the rag tag, band of merc's looking for a quick buck motif as well.

The only thing missing is a proper space opera galactic warfare arc.

I'm sick of people that whine about alien.

It's defining feature is that the Xeno's can span any and every genre.

10. Autistoid

Autistoid Captain

Ah star trek fan complaining about ass pulling.

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Seriously, I'll never get the alien 3 hatred.

Was it a good movie no, was it in any worst than your average star trek flop not a chance.

I'd argue Resurection was far worst, it had no point, or depth, just firefly in the 90s.

Alien 3 failed trying to be something different, that's far preferrable than being average at something that is over done.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't too long for the original Alien to get big, so it probably isn't that big of an obstacle, Hell Alien Isolation had the face hugger follow the one implant and die rule while implying it was a queen (or else someone made a return trip to LV 426 for an egg run.) and it didn't seem to have any problem setting up shop on the station core alone.

12. Nightowl1701

The Queen embryo needed more time to develop in Ripley, so it stands to reason she would need more time (a few days?) to mature after birth.

As for Alien Isolation (and taking the deleted cocoon scene from Alien into account), what likely happened was the first Alien to emerge, same as the original on the Nostromo, captured a pair of station workers alive and converted them into eggs using its' tail stinger (which we can now assume contains some variant of Prometheus' infamous black goo). The next Facehugger to emerge would produce the Queen, the one after that producing another drone to help the first procure food/hosts for the Queen.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

LV-426 was only 1200KM in diameter, and the blast from the colony was the size of Nebraska. Even if the Derelict survived the blast, it would be too irradiated to go back to.

14. Autistoid

Autistoid Captain

It's pretty much established the xenomorph isn't restricted to a set of biological rules.

Atleast in teh kinds of details your talking about.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It did more damage to the Alien franchise than all three prequels did to Star Wars.

I felt like someone had climbed inside my head and taken a dump on my love of Alien and Aliens.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Your scale is off by a factor of ten; LV-426 was 12,000 km in diameter, slightly smaller than Earth.

Even Tsar Bomba, at 100 megatons, wouldn't have taken out all of Nebraska. I modeled the blast with Nukemap, with ground zero in Broken Bow (which is roughly dead center). We're talking a fireball radius of 6 kilometers, an air blast of 32, and thermal radiation capable of third degree burns out to 75 kilometers.

The Colonial Marines game takes place in the post-Aliens ruins of Hadley's Hope, so the detonation of the atmospheric processor may not have been as thorough -- or as destructive -- as was believed at the time.

That said, since the atmospheric processor would have been a ground-level blast and the Derelict was close enough to the colony that the colonists could investigate it, it does stand to reason that the Derelict was, at the very least, coated with radioactive fallout and thus irradiated.

17. Nightowl1701

Seriously, I'll never get the alien 3 hatred.

Nobody likes an unhappy ending. And at the time Alien3 seemed very much like THE END of the entire saga, and a double-middle-finger-to-the-audience ending at that - the kind of ending that leaves you wondering why the hell you got into the series in the first place. And the gaps in narrative logic in the beginning of the film were obvious from the very start. People were leaving those theaters feeling personally insulted.

About the only way they could have pissed the audience off worse was the Queenburster actually escaping Ripley's suicide plunge at the last split-second and getting safely into Company hands.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

People who watch movies for warm fuzzy-wuzzy fairy-tale endings shouldn't be watching the Alien series.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, those people need to take movies a little less seriously.

20. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

One of the best changes in the Assembly Cut is that the Queen Chestburster doesn't emerge from Ripley as she's falling.