Spoilers AHSOKA series [Spoiler Discussion]

Turns out at least a few of the shots of the T-6 really were done with a practical model on a motion control stage, and it was indeed the very one shown off at celebration way ahead of the release! I'll admit, I was convinced this thing was only built for reference. It seemed too small and too challenging a design to rig for motion control! The Razorcrest & Light Cruiser were at least static models.
Kind of wild that parts of it were made with a vacu-former that dates back to the model shop's San Rafae Kerner Company days! That's some serious vintage ILM provenance!
Wow, I didn't think they'd used any actual physical models and motion control since The Phantom Menace.

For the Mandalorean they made a model of the Razorcrest for lighting the CG model, and then kind of when "Well if we really want to see what that looks like properly, we should do an old style motion control pass". One thing led to another, and they built a 50 foot run or something like that for the Volume so they didn't need to "blue screen" the model, but could have the actual background for the pass.

Wow, I didn't think they'd used any actual physical models and motion control since The Phantom Menace.
They've used models a bunch since then. Models were used all through the prequels, from the Geonosis Arena, elements of Tipoca City (some of which Savage himself worked on), The Outlanders Club entrance (which Savage says he screwed up and had to be rescued by ILM), Utapau, the entire lava river on Mustafar, and I think the grand entrance to the Jedi temple, to name but a few.
Plus as I mentioned and others have pointed out; certain shots of both the Razorcrest and the Imperial Light Cruiser were shot old-school on a motion control stage (pretty sure it was just the one shot each, as it appears to be for the T-6.)
Aside from that; Phil Tippet and his studio have contributed a few stop-motion elements (puppets . . . models . . . potato/tomato!) for TFA, Solo (the dejarik scenes) Mandalorian (the junk walkers on the NR prison planet) and BoBF (the B'omaar Monk spider droid thing.) They also used a model for one of the shots in the recent 'Tales of the Empire', of all things!

Industrial Light and Magic have enough people who understand the benefits of having a real model even if you plan on using CG for almost everything.

For the Mandalorean they made a model of the Razorcrest for lighting the CG model, and then kind of when "Well if we really want to see what that looks like properly, we should do an old style motion control pass". One thing led to another, and they built a 50 foot run or something like that for the Volume so they didn't need to "blue screen" the model, but could have the actual background for the pass.

They used models in ROTS.
They've used models a bunch since then. Models were used all through the prequels, from the Geonosis Arena, elements of Tipoca City (some of which Savage himself worked on), The Outlanders Club entrance (which Savage says he screwed up and had to be rescued by ILM), Utapau, the entire lava river on Mustafar, and I think the grand entrance to the Jedi temple, to name but a few.
Plus as I mentioned and others have pointed out; certain shots of both the Razorcrest and the Imperial Light Cruiser were shot old-school on a motion control stage (pretty sure it was just the one shot each, as it appears to be for the T-6.)
Awesome, it's nice to know they're still using the old school techniques along with the new.
[QOUTE]
Aside from that; Phil Tippet and his studio have contributed a few stop-motion elements (puppets . . . models . . . potato/tomato!) for TFA, Solo (the dejarik scenes) Mandalorian (the junk walkers on the NR prison planet) and BoBF (the B'omaar Monk spider droid thing.) They also used a model for one of the shots in the recent 'Tales of the Empire', of all things!
I have noticed we're seeing more and more makeup, costume, and puppet aliens and creatures since the Sequel Trilogy.

A huge puppet was originally in Mustafar footage from the opening sequence of TROS. The spider-like, Force-sensitive creature that helps guard Darth Vader"s old castle complex.

Yeah, it is nice to see directors like him doing so much in camera these days. For me the combination of CGI and practical effects that we've seen in the current Star Wars and Star Treks is the best way to do things.
Grogu is a puppet, isn't he? At least for some scenes?
I'm pretty sure I've seen some behind the scenes pictures and videos of people looking at him and holding him.

Grogu is a puppet, isn't he? At least for some scenes?
It's difficult to tell from the outside. Even when he's animated, they try to stick with keeping his movement and facial expressions puppet-y, so it's not really obvious which shots are which.

I don't remember seeing any VFX breakdowns incorporating Baby Yoda, it's possible that's the kind of thing they'd want to avoid to preserve the illusion of the character.

Reactions: JD
Back