Agents of SHIELD season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Oct 5, 2017.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

That's likely the reason Deke mentioned the multiverse. But if this is the way it will happen, that's really sad for Deke, Virgil, and the rest of the humans from the Quaked timeline. Hard to see the team just leaving them in the lurch like that.

I hate these timey wimey conundrums.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Like I said, it's probably just another nerdy reference, but since they've used it before for the Bus that means it also has some in-universe significance for that specific group. So it could conceivably be a signpost in it's own right. We'll see.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Perhaps, but I think there's a purpose in this case to the choice to have the Kree's clients be nearly indistinguishable from humans, when they could have done any number of little things to make them look more alien.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They did. They gave them red irises. That's about the same level of "little thing" as, say, sticking points on an actor's ears. Heck, Xandarians, Asgardians, and Vanir (Hogun's people) all look exactly like humans, as does whatever species the Collector and Grandmaster belong to. This is not a franchise that feels obligated to make aliens look all that alien.

5. The Old Mixer

Which is exactly why I said "nearly indistinguishable".

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Reverend and Morpheus 02 like this.
  6. Christopher

Yes, but the point is, there's already plenty of precedent for the MCU featuring aliens who look exactly like humans or who differ only in pigmentation. If it were a universe where aliens were normally portrayed with heavy prosthetics, then it would be valid to suspect that near-human appearance was evidence of human origin. But since this universe is already well-populated with aliens who are nearly or completely indistinguishable from humans, there is no reason to think that here. In the context of the MCU, if someone comes from space and they look human except for one small feature, that's enough to mark them as "alien." Just like in many other sci-fi universes over the decades.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point.

8. The Old Mixer

I propose that that's not really Fitz, but an alien from a planet full of aliens who are indistinguishable from Fitz.

Psion and Skipper like this.
  9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don’t you mean nearly indistinguishable?

10. The Old Mixer

Maybe...it'd be safer to hedge my bets.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So this whole thing really is just a breeding facility for Inhuman slaves?
    I thought it was interesting that Kasius is apparently not there entirely of his own free will.
    Fitz! So how did he get there if he didn't come forward with the rest of the team?

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The long way I would have assumed. Obviously he doesn't look over a century old so maybe cryonics? Of course that would necessitate him knowing in advance when the rest of the team were sent so he can catch up with them. Presumably somewhere in the past Fitz caught up with the Baldy McRubberAlienFace and got some clue as to what was going on.
    Could be a LMD Fitz imprinted with his own mind I suppose. That'd account for both the age discrepancy and the foreknowledge of the "elders".

Psion likes this.
  13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Weird that Tess completely disappears from the episode. I find her much more interesting than Deke, even with more of his back history filled in. Hopefully her absence isn't long and returns to the fold in full force.

Also weird how Phil and Melinda looked at the computer screen with Daisy but neither noted the "Destroyer of worlds" descriptor.

While all of the complicated explanations for Leo's appearance in the future are interesting, I'm certain it'll be the simplest explanation: He traveled through time like they did, but the reason why he's there now is also the reason why he was held back. I have a feeling someone is manipulating the situation from behind the scenes.

I didn't think May was in any danger fighting Sinara, but I did have a sudden feeling during that fight one of the gang won't be returning to the past. Odds are on either Mack or Yo-Yo. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  14. Christopher

Did you mean you hope her absence isn't long?

Anyway, recurring guest stars are often signed to appear only in a limited number of episodes per season, so they'll come and go from episode to episode. The Netflix Marvel shows do this all the time. It helps save money on guest casting by bringing them in only for the episodes where they're needed. (Which probably helps compensate for Iain De Caestecker getting regular billing/salary in three straight episodes that he wasn't in at all.)

Was the text in English? I didn't notice.

The trailer for next week shows a bit where
    Fitz confronts the guy who abducted the team and says "You sent them into the future. How do I follow them?" So presumably he got them to send him, but he arrived somewhere/when else. Not necessarily manipulation, just margin of error. Recall how the others ended up in different parts of the complex at different times even though they were sent within seconds of each other. If Fitz was sent days or weeks later, it's no wonder he ended up somewhere different.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't necessarily disagree exactly, but the postcard message from Fitz and the suspiciously specific prophecy about a group of people who were not generally known to the public seems to indicate he's the one behind a lot of the goings on we've been seeing. In order for him to do that, he'd need both knowledge of the future and the ability to act in the past.

Of course we still don't know who Mr Rubberskin is or what that group's agenda is, much less why the team was sent forward, nor why Fitz "wasn't on the list."
    If I had to guess I'd say the show is sticking with the "you glimpsed the fourth dimension now you're stuck with it" idea from the season before last (remember the Inhuman would could see a person's death?) Which would mean those aliens posing as government agents are acting out something that they already know has happened and so is Fitz. The question is, can they break out of a causality loop?

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Well, it's not like I can read Kree. :p

Yeah, that makes sense and that's part of why I think someone is manipulating the situation from behind the scenes. I think Mr. Rubberskin is just another cog in the system and not guy in charge. I think Leo is, too (a cog).

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Okay, that ending was a bit of a shocker. I expected Fitz to be with the people hiding out on the surface-- of course, he still may be and just popped up for a visit when he heard about Daisy. The question is, how did he get to the future and what is his state of mind? Did he time travel, using the Kree monolith or some other method? Did he use suspended animation? Is he an LMD or did he discover immortality for the sake of being there when SHIELD arrives? Or is he a clone-- or descendant-- of the original Fitz? And what is his purpose? To save the Earth? Save SHIELD? Defeat the Kree? Change the past? None of the above?

It's also a bit of a revelation that the voice on the radio is Deke's father. I have a feeling that he's still playing the long game, and has not totally sold out Daisy or SHIELD. Or at least that he's telling the truth that he has a better way of doing things, since he knows the lay of the remaining land.

So the telepath is helping out Daisy and Gemma, because he read Kasius's mind and knows his plans. It was definitely a mistake for Kasius to let him get that close. It's also kind of interesting that the telepath kept his broadcasting ability a secret. You'd think that Kasius would have at least activated the suppressor while he was questioning Daisy and Gemma to prevent any collusion. He seems to be a pretty paranoid guy.

This was a bad episode for both May and Mack. May was not doing too well in that fight with Ball Girl, and then Ball Girl showed up in Kasius suite-- that does not bode well. And Mack is not too happy about how the Dystopian future is affecting both YoYo and himself. I suspect that Mack will finally have had enough of the SHIELD life when they get back to the 21st century.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Unless future Leo is the one in charge and sent those guys to grab everyone *except* his past self?

19. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

The whole idea was for the telepath to determine if they were lying, so he couldn't have been suppressed.

Reverend likes this.
  20. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah yes, looking back to that very opening scene, he certainly had the feel of someone carrying out an assigned task, even while he was at home. And speaking of his home, he had drawings from a child, presumably his, but one really stood out to me. The drawing of a person with other little people on him. What was that all about? I don't recall seeing any speculation about that, but it seemed like something worth noticing. (Perhaps just a clue that the guy was an alien?)