after how many years, i finally get to see the pilot episod

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Sephiroth, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

ok, so i admit to only watching voyager solidly at about season 3 on it's inital run and sporadically on SPIKE, so i never saw the pilot and only bots of the first few seasons. For my birthday recently i got some X-BOX live points, so browsing TV eps i see voyager's first season made it on there, and, only having a few points left, i went for a two-fer and bought the Pilot 2-parter, and i must say WOW, that was a strange way to start things

2. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

It ended strangely too.

---------------

3. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Re: after how many years, i finally get to see the pilot ep

It started great but unfortunately ended quite badly. :(

4. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

In comparison to Enterprise and These are the Voyages the Voyager two parter ending was Golden Globe winning television. ;)

5. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I've heard bad things about Enterprise. Lucky for me I never got into the show. The Voyager ending didn't make me too enthusiastic to begin with but when I realized a few episodes in that the only character I was excited about was Porthos the dog I decided to give it up. ;)

6. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, sure; after all, the pilot gives a wholly distorted view of how the series would turn out. If you went by how the pilot set things up, you'd think Voyager would be a string of events where the starship encounters a weird spacetime anomaly, the crew gets stuffed into holodecks from which they can't escape, and then there's sudden harsh battles with hardheaded aliens, ending with a shiny happy ship under Janeway's firm yet coffee-rich command.

7. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure that first episode was ever presented to network executives as a "pilot"... did they need to do that, anymore?

I just saw it again, and as long as you aren't expecting anything awe-inspiring (science-fiction without a sense of awe or wonder to it is problematic to me), it's a much more solid story than I'd thought. The silly bit is "Banjo Man" and all the folksy Americana.

I remember being very disappointed with the anti-climactic trip across the galaxy. There should have been considerably more of an effect than just a brief flash of light.