Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ZeNd, Jan 21, 2013.

1. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I didn't mind her. I like what they did with the character in the books.

2. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

I get what you are saying, though with so many 'balls in the air' having to break in a new character was the last thing the show really needed.

somebuddyX likes this.
  3. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

She was terribly overplayed when she was introduced. She was far too flakey. There was too much simpering. It was almost played for laughs - the counselor who was an emotional wreck. If they kept her distress at her transition at a more moderate level I think it would've been more effective. .

But the character after that settled in well I think. If anything they tried too hard to develop that character; the space given over to her with Worf and Bashir and so on cost them time to resolve other threads in DS9. It's a pity about the bust-up with Farrell but I think once the Ezri character got bedded in, she was good. I bought that she was a plausible continuation of the Dax line.

4. apollo1984

I don't know I feel like it was played out pretty well and made sense that it would play out like this, I mean you had a trill who was never part of the program suddenly being gifted all the memories of additional lives, not only that she finds herself back on the station, the same station that 'she' died on and with all 'her' former friends. I cannot blame anyone counselor or not, not to be a wreck, it took her time to find her 'balance' but when she finally did as you said the was good.

stardream likes this.
  5. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Her portrayal came across as very sitcomish to me. I did like the scenes where Sisko gives her a tongue lashing mind you.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of her post-series career. To me it come across as though counselling wasn't good enough for her and that Dax is really taking over more of Ezri.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  7. apollo1984

Well in a way it makes sense, I mean when she first became a Dax she tried to continue on with what she had always done, I think it was mentioned that she seemed completely different to even her own family so after finding herself it just may not have suited who she had become.

8. Ds9Defiant1701

Ds9Defiant1701 Ensign Newbie

Don't forget she had almost no preparation and she wasn't even supposed to have a symbiont in her!

stardream likes this.
  9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Jumping back into the fray, I still think that turning Jadia into Ezri was a good idea. Hell, it would have been a shame not to have the symbiont switch bodies at some point in the series. It's like Chekhov's gun (no, not that Chekov); if you introduce that idea of symbionts at the beginning of the series; it needs to pay off at some point down the road--even if that means killing off Jadzia.

And, seriously, fourteen pages of discussion of the "absolute worst character in DS9 history" and nobody has mentioned Vedek Bareil? ;)

stardream likes this.
  10. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

im glad im not the only one who dislike ezri,read somewhere that terry didn't with the decision to kill jadzia,she wanted to have dax as a supporting character role.

11. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I believe that bit from Terry was in an interview on the DS9 DVD bonus features. I understand why she would want that... but Terry has a lot to learn about not alienating the producers. I'm not sure it would have made for better stories, either.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  12. Griffeytrek

Griffeytrek Captain Captain

At least he was sleeping with Dukat. I swear the whole Kai Winn/Dukat subplot actually had a higher Ick factor than the Salamander sex in Threshold. And that takes some doing.

13. Heghta

Heghta Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I didn't hate the character but I definitely thought that it wasn't as strong as some (maybe most) of the others. Maybe if she was there from the beginning, she might have had a chance to mature into the show like the others. They all kinda started off a bit green behind the ears.

I will say this though, I wasn't that trilled about Jadzia either. I think a lot of people give her a pass (both the actor and the character) because of her looks but I found her many personalities and constant reminders of how much older and wiser she was than everyone else to be exhausting and at the end of the day just annoying. It just reeked of arrogance. And I wasn't a fan of her constantly trying different cultures either (associating with Ferengi, marrying a Klingon etc)...it just seemed like she was after cheap cultural thrills and didn't focus on her own culture enough.

In those respects I found Ezri to be more refreshingly innocent and honest. But yeah sometimes the writers went overboard and tried to ram the character down our throats.

14. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A couple years later she ran into Ira Steven Behr at a convention, and the reasons for her departure were discussed. He was shocked, and responded that "We could’ve done that!"
    Link: http://1701news.com/node/825/terry-farrell-i-wanted-stay-deep-space-nine.html

15. angry apple panda

angry apple panda Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haven't read the entire thread, but...

I liked Ezri. I loved the Nicole DeBoer since Kids In The Hall and she was easily one of my first girl-crushes. That said, she's a fine actress too and I think the character was interesting and brought interesting storytelling ideas into the show, i.e. what do you do when a person in a committed relationship with long term friends dies and is replaced with an entirely different person with different motivations, history, and passions with the same memories? I know that's the whole concept of the Trill, but to throw that into the show in the middle of the Dominion crisis was, in my opinion, kind of daring and brilliant, even if it was partially by accident. My only regret is that they didn't have another season or two to flesh out the character.

Lous likes this.
  16. KirbyHawk

KirbyHawk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think Rom is the worst character on DS9. Even though he did get less annoying towards the end of the show.

17. angry apple panda

angry apple panda Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think in the greater context of sci-fi shows, DS9 did a pretty great job of giving everyone something to do and a meaningful arc of sorts. We really should ask ourselves what we mean by a character being bad or good. If by bad you mean not really fleshed out well, not given a proper arc--well basically the entire cast got that, at least better compared to other similar TV shows, unlike Voyager, which started out with excellent, flawed character types and finished out with one of the blandest, undeveloped list of characters I've ever seen in a long running sci-fi show.

18. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Ezri! A very good character! :bolian:

However, they shouldn't have killed off Jadzia. She could have left for another post at another ship or station and then Ezri could have come in instead.

KirbyHawk wrote:
    I like Rom too. Mostly because he reminds me of a person in my eighborhood both in looks and manners :lol:

19. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would VOY have had a pretty pixie in it, had it not been for Ezri Dax? Would ENT have had Hoshi? It sort of became a tradition. I never hated Ezri, I just preferred Jadzia. - she was the total package. How dare they kill her off and not Kira, who was always so eager to prove how 'rough & tough' she was? It just doesn't make any sense. I'll say this much for Ezri, though: she really blossomed in her single season. A lot of growth and development, there. Whether it was anyone's cup of tea, or not, that's something else. But she didn't just mark time. She added to the texture, to the flavour of DS9. She wasn't just a replacement.

Lous likes this.
  20. KirbyHawk

KirbyHawk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

They killed her off, because the actress wanted off the show.