A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I see they will continue to waste our time with pointless subplots next season. No way this show ends in season 7 at this point, or this series ends on a cliffhanger.

Unlike the Walking Dead, the GOT writers can't go too off script and kill off any of the main cast that they want to. GOT is still following the map laid out by the author, while TWD can and will do its own thing which is why it has the potential to last much much longer as a series.

2. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Greyjoy stuff is awesome. You have the magical pirate Euron, with Pyat Pree and a dragon-binding horn in tow, you have the mad reaver Victarion, dumb as a masthook but a truly terrifying presence in battle, you have Asha's moderate course rejected, but a possible out when she finds Theon again, and you have the Iron Fleet on its way to Slavers Bay just in time to join the huge Battle of Fire. I'm looking forward to seeing this in the show and I hope they do it better justice than they did Dorne.

3. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It was already announced they were doing eight ("at least eight", in HBO's words, but D&D previously stated that they weren't going beyond eight).

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Apparently there was some filming done around county Antrim's Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, leading some to conclude that Balon may meet a watery end.

5. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I visited Carrick-a-rede a few years ago. Seeing it in GoT would be great fun.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

They have no clue how long the show will last. Originally they said there would be two seasons per book (on that we should be 25% of the way through AFFC and ADWD) and then they said there would only be seven seasons and now HBO has dictated the show will last longer than that.

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I never saw any claims that they were planning two-seasons per book. Not even HBO would consider a show knowing it might need to last 14 seasons to wrap up.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I could be not remembering correctly, but there was an interview with one of the show runners after season two that they were going to slow down and that one book a season was too quick a pace for the show.

9. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

They said they'd be spending more than one season on the third book, and more generally that future seasons weren't going to be fairly strict adaptations of individual books (which has been the case, since Seasons 4 & 5, especially, have mixed things up a lot). In terms of how long the series will last, they've been very consist at saying 7-8.

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Maybe there will be a "Young Griff" story-line in the future then.