A question of phrasing

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by MAGolding, Sep 4, 2020.

1. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SPOCK: My father's race was spared the dubious benefits of alcohol.
    McCOY: Now I know why they were conquered.

In the writer's mind, so early in the series, it might have meant: "Spock is from a foreign planet, but he's speaking our language and serving in our fleet, so that means we conquered his people, took over, and civilized them."

But that was never going to fly, between Roddenberry's ideas of enlightened conduct and Nimoy's insistence that Spock be a powerful leading character. Therefore in universe, McCoy was surely referring to the whole Surak/Logic revolution as having "conquered" Vulcan. And Spock was wrapped up in a different subject, so he ignored the characterization. I think that's pretty smooth, as retcons go.

Henoch likes this.
  2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So "conquered by Surak" in this context would be a bad thing, according to McCoy?
    That's some shade being cast!

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  3. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    She meant off duty Romulan women be like-

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That's quite a stretch, even by Trek fandom standards, to justify a line that doesn't fit anymore. :lol:

5. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Balance of Terror introduces us to cloaking technology as such. The Thasian ship may not have been cloaked as such but might not have been a physical thing either, at least not how we determine the thing! The sequel shows are the problem here not TOS itself! Also maybe continuity was ignored here because both scripts were being worked on at the same time and it was a bet as to which would be ready for transmission first? :vulcan:
    JB

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  6. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having just watched The Conscience of the King, I finished that scene and said, out loud, "wow, Bones is being kind of a dick." So that's what I attribute his crack to. That and he was obsessed with his booze, so he was either already in his cups a bit or he was cranky because he was in withdrawals. Bones is generally charmingly abrasive when he and Spock sparr, but he was really unlikeable in that scene.

Timo likes this.
  7. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The whole scene is a testament of a man being allowed to indulge in his addiction after a long absence; he rambles from the poetic to the indifferent to the lusty to being defensive of his chosen narcotic:

MCCOY: Mister Spock, the man on top walks a lonely street. The chain of command is often a noose.
    SPOCK: Spare me your philosophical metaphors, Doctor. The Captain is acting strangely. I'm asking if you've noticed.
    MCCOY: Negative. Did you know this is the first time in a week I've had time for a drop of the true? Would you care for a drink, Mister Spock?
    SPOCK: My father's race was spared the dubious benefits of alcohol.
    MCCOY: Now I know why they were conquered. What are you so worried about, anyway? I find Jim generally knows what he's doing.
    KIRK: It was illogical for him to bring those players aboard.
    MCCOY: Illogical? Did you get a look at that Juliet? That's a pretty exciting creature. Of course your, personal chemistry would prevent you from seeing that. Did it ever occur to you that he simply might like the girl?
    SPOCK: It occurred. I dismissed it.
    MCCOY: You would.
    SPOCK: Did you know that he suddenly transferred Lieutenant Riley to engineering?
    MCCOY: Lots of things go on around here that I don't know, Mister Spock. Now, he's the Captain. He can transfer whoever he pleases. You can look that up in a hundred volumes of space regulations somewhere. All right? Come on, have a drink.
    SPOCK: No, thank you.
    MCCOY: You're welcome. But I will. And please, Mister Spock, if you won't join me, don't disapprove of me. At least not until you've tried it, huh?
    Interestingly, Spock did seem to take some of McCoy's advice and start sampling the booze - by Season 3's Requiem For Methuselah Spock openly accepts a glass of Flint's brandy

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Methuselah Flint and Timo like this.