7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 18, 2013.

?

Grade "The Name Of The Doctor"

Poll closed Jun 27, 2013.
  1. Merlin

111 vote(s)
    72.1%
  2. Radagast the brown

30 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Barty crouch jr

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Destro

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Malekith

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not so much confusing as it was a random WTF that could and should have been fleshed out a little.

The Master's exact wording was that the Valeyard comes between the Doctor's "twelfth and final" incarnations.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The net seems to be picking up the whole idea of "John Hurt" as the 9th Doctor, that would be a ballsy move indeed if true. The Sun ran a story though I take whatever they print with HUGE grains of sale...

A source explained to TV Biz: “John will play the real Ninth Doctor. Christopher Eccleston has always been thought of as the Ninth Doctor but now that John has been revealed as the Ninth Doctor, it shuffles Eccleston’s Doctor to be the Tenth Time Lord, Tennant the 11th and Smith the 12th.

“It also means the Doctor’s time is running out as he can only regenerate 12 times.”

The reason the Doctor has forgotten his ninth incarnation will become clear but it’s to do with the Time War and his shame over his behaviour in it. “Tennant and Smith’s Doctors will at first refuse to accept Hurt is them — until their sonic screwdrivers confirm it and announce, ‘He’s us. He’s the ninth us’

Hell it would explain why he can't remember his own age :lol:

3. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

AMAZING! :eek:

November can't arrive quickly enough!

4. The Wormhole

I can kind of see them going that way, Hurt being a reviled incarnation which all the subsequent ones are ashamed of and by the end of the episode a result of working together, Tennant and Smith grow to accept him, making Hurt something like the Joran Dax of the Doctor. However, I'm fairly certain that they are going to avoid the whole "real Ninth, everyone else Eccleston onwards move up a number" by saying that he isn't really a Doctor since he went by a different name.

5. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe they fed the Hurt Doctor into the Looms after his big evil actions, and thus the new being -- the Doctor -- had a replenished supply of regenerations. That's why it doesn't affect the numbering. (Also why he's half human and 'more than just a Time Lord'.)

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I really doubt that Moffat would hang the story of a character on backstory that only about twenty thousand people are going to be aware of. :)

I believe there are still issues with Universal over footage from the television movie. During the BAFTA tribute, they used a promo image of McGann's Doctor instead of footage from the film.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So does Batman.

8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it's a joke about the stereotype of Glaswegians being so aggressive that you can start a fight there by saying 'Hello'. So it's the bit of Earth that feels most like home to a Sontaran (And Steve Moffat is from Glasgow... well, Paisley, but it's a suburb)

9. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just like the other episodes in this series it was another overhyped meh episode.

A just above mediocre story with Moffat recycling the same handful of plot devices he's been using since he's been writing for Doctor Who.

If it was THE Rassilon and not just some nutter calling himself Rassilon why would they need to resurrect him? He wasn't dead. He was put into suspended animation by the other Time Lords.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why say that he's not the Doctor, then write on the screen "Introducing the Doctor."

Make up your mind.

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Hurt is playing the Doctor, but the other incarnations don't like him. How else would Hurt be credited? "John Hurt as Not the Doctor"?

12. The Wormhole

But didn't they use footage of McGann from the TV movie in The Next Doctor? At the very least, at the end when we see various Doctors running by Clara within the timestream, those were just people in costumes with their faces obscured. Couldn't they have had one of those dressed in McGann's costume.

Ah, that explains much. Just more regional humour. Now that I know that, it actually makes the scene funny instead of a random WTF moment.

Well, if you accept The Writer's Tale, then yes, he was that Rassilon. And according to it, the Time Lords resurrected everyone from their past and drafted them into fighting the war.

13. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

Although I otherwise loved the episode, I had to laugh at the pretentiousness of putting, in huge letters next to John Hurt's face, "Introducing JOHN HURT as THE DOCTOR", accompanied by two thundering drumbeats. It made it look like I had accidentally switched channels and was watching some sort of parody movie trailer or something. :lol:

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  14. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing the connection is between Clara and the TARDIS. Perhaps, Clara is the TARDIS. Keep in mind where Clara tells the first Doctor to take the other TARDIS. In the Doctor's Wife we learn that the TARDIS took the Doctor! Possible connection.

Mr Awe

15. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I thought about that too, however, the Doctor refers to him as his big secret. But everyone knows the Doctor was involved in the Time War, and at least somewhat know what he did (he was the one who locked Gallifrey and the Daleks away, cutting the war off from the rest of time and essentially destroying them), so it's not much of a secret.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I think the TARDIS has a bit of an ego.

17. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    We very briefly see the 8th Doctor walk past Clara in the transition from the 3rd driving by to Clara watching the second running along.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was Tarantinoesque, I had to give it too them for going there. This is the series of blockbusters, right?

Unreliable narrator? Meta?

19. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The 8th Doctor's incredibly brief appearance walking past Clara just before Troughton goes past in his fur coat was done the same way as the 6th was: Bloke dressed up in the costume keeping their face off camera rather than stock footage. the "9"th only appears in a similar way near the end as well. Presumably it's just a stylistic choice for all three rather than a problem using any clips from their stories.

In practical terms I'm sure whatever the truth about Hurt's Doctor they're not going to suddenly retroactively renumber the last three Doctor's in official documentation, Smith will always be the 11th in episode guides and the like.

20. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But Rassilon wasn't dead. He was in suspended animation in the Dark Tower.