7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 18, 2013.

?

Grade "The Name Of The Doctor"

Poll closed Jun 27, 2013.
  1. Merlin

111 vote(s)
    72.1%
  2. Radagast the brown

30 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Barty crouch jr

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Destro

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Malekith

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a bit nonsensical but I choose Merlin because some assumed the doctor took up that role or is the inspiration for Merlin

The other 4 choices are previous roles the Doctor actors have played

Radagast the brown-McCoy
    Barty- Tennant
    Destro- Eccleston
    Malkith- Eccleston in "Thor 2"

2. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Fan Tas Tic!

3. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So was there anything in there that hadn't been corrrectly revealed weeks ago? River hinting that there's some connection between her and Clara perhaps?

And what happened to the woman in the shop who gave Clara the Doctor's phone number? Another plot thread that's going to get dropped without being resolved?

Also, the episode would seem to confirm that The Silence were the good guys all along, trying to prevent the Universe from being destroyed.

4. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Brilliant episode, not even the awful detective trio could ruin this one! Wish they'd give it up with those lot though.

Particularly loved all the classic doctors scenes. I noticed the first and sixth doctors the most.

5. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Amazing stuff. It sounded underwhelming when I read the plot, but it was just lovely seeing it. It felt like the most captivating episode in the season, or perhaps second after Asylum of the Daleks.

My only complaint: I wanted to see how Clara became a Dalek in AotD. To see how her choice to go inside the timestream had grim consequences for her. It must have been one hell of a moment for her. And one hell of an emotional scene in there.

Another thing, was John Hurt's Doctor always the intention or a last minute cop out? Although it does sound like the latter, the ninth never felt as affected by those terrible things, it is a fitting retcon. Although I would have preferred to see Eccleston in the part (as much as John Hurt will probably be an excellent Doctor).

6. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved that to pieces, and the first time in awhile I've wanted to rewatch an episode.

* Why couldn't they have made Clara this loveable earlier in the series? Hopefully now tha the 'mystery' is solved they can start developing her as a person.

* I was ready to throw a fit when they killed off Jenny. Thank god it was only temporary.

* Found it a bit odd that the First Doctor and Susan were already dressed in their 1960's outfits when they leave Gallifrey. And no sign of the Hand of Omega? I guess they pick it up at some later point?

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  7. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We saw it in Asylum...

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Merlin, Radagast and Barty are also all wizards.

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

So Dorian was correct, the fall of Eleven occurred when the doctors name is revealed, and what's really great, his name is a non issue, it's the secret that gets revealed to Clara, Eleven isn't Eleven, he's Twelve, he's the Doctor who ended and probably fought the Time War, instead of healing, helping and generally not killing people like a good doctor should, this Doctor did the complete opposite, used the Moment to end the Last Great Time War killing untold numbers and then regenerated into Ecelscakes. Brilliant.

May I just say, I fucking loved this episode.

10. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Mmh, I think I prefer the idea that John Hurt is the actual first Doctor.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Battlefield it was established that the Future Doctor, unless he was a future mirror universe Doctor, known as Merlin was a ginger.

Is this like how Q didn't recognize O'Brien?

Did she actively fight the intelligence, or just materialize on top of the bugger dispersing him sneaky like.

She was a Timelord.

For a duration, she had a timelord brain on her shoulders, but than for another duration she had no shoulders and a Dalek brain... How many species did she assume?

What she was wearing in the past.

Are we assuming that Clara was also Sara-Jane, Zoe and Ace?

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Is it November yet? A very fun episode, Merlin, yes. Strax is one of my favorite characters in the Doctor's long history. Clara's mystery was solved with just enough drama without going over into Super-companion. Hurt's Doctor, maybe the Time War Doctor, or the one who falls at Trenzalore. I don't expect to see River back. This episode gave her and the Doctor a satisfying ending, however, with her grave at Trenzalore, the Doctor might find a way to get River out of the Library sometime in the future. I guess we could see her back in November, then. Still not November, yet, damn.

13. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I don't know about you, but I thought she was loveable all along, from her very first appearance in Asylum.

14. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

I like that idea too. Everyone knows that the Doctor was involved in the Time War and what he did. Tennant's Doctor mentioned it to Rose and his other companions several times so why keep his regeneration from that time secret.

It has to be the "pre" Doctor who eventually became Hartnell's Doctor and he did something so bad that he had to steal a TARDIS and leave Gallifrey and spend the rest of his lives trying to make up for it. But then even the end credits say John Hurt is The Doctor so we have to wait till November to see.

15. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

I was thinking that (and really sad with it too). The way she said 'I think I've been murdered' really chilled me. I love her character so I'm glad she didn't stay dead.

Excellent episode all round, some really good use of tying up some arcs and answering questions - and now the question of John Hurt's Doctor, which looks like a very interesting mystery.

16. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

That was just great.

17. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Son of a bitch. I can't believe it!

18. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I have no idea why I didn't connect The Great Intelligence to the Snowmen until this episode. I knew the voice sounded familiar in the other episode, but it just didn't click. *sigh*

Oh well. I liked this episode. My mind is swimming with questions about John Hurt. I think, like others, he's a pre-doctor-doctor, based on what was said. He could also be the Time War doctor, but for now I'm leaning towards the former.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does this explain why the Doctor looked just like the Great Intelligence in Scream of the Shalka?

Clara couldn't get through the timelock into the Time War.

Is that why she's never seen this version of the Doctor?

"Are we going to fly?"

"Don't be silly, we fall."

The 11th fell onto Trensenor.

(Grumble.)

Another interesting use of language is that if his name is one day going to be simply and only "Storm" doesn't that mean that when Dalek legend calls the Doctor the Oncoming Storm, what they mean is that earlier versions of the Doctor when he is still only calling himself the Doctor, that the Doctor is a just a light spot of wind before things get really hairy with an actual Storm.

"You're annoying, but he's an asshole."

Why couldn't John be playing the Valeyard?

:(

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Help me out with something, why did River open the door for the GI?