50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not the same jacket, no.

There's a comparison photo floating around on Gallifrey Base. The buttons are in different positions and Hurt's jacket is longer.

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I'd love for Hurt to play the Doctor- either past or future. Or the Master. Or the Corsair.

Okay, I'm just happy that John Hurt is in it!

3. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I presume everyone's realised that the blue raincoat's probably just something he's wearing over his actual costume between takes, and that the wellies and the cloth cap might be the same...

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Maybe John Hurt's just playing a U-Boat captain?

I can see people's point about another Doctor before Eccleston being interesting, I guess it would just be weird to suddenly start thinking of Smith as Twelve, Tennant as Eleven and Eccleston as Ten!!!

It might just be something as simple as a call out to 9, same as that woman's scarf, or even a Next Doctor type scenario (which would be more annoying).

Alt universe Doc?

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

He's playing a Time Lord called The U-Boat Captain.

6. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Maybe he is an merging of Doctors 1-9, a Bizarro Doctor the baddie is creating?

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This sums my thoughts up exactly. I agree that the prospect of there being a previous Doctor out there is intriguing, for the same reasons as generated by The Brain Of Morbius. However, if the 50th anniversary special is to feature multiple Doctors, then I think it should be an opportunity for past Doctors from the show to return, whether recast or (preferably) played by the original actors.

A few days ago, for example, someone (Brendan Moody ?)said that maybe only 50,000 people would care about Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor. Fair enough point but surely he's at least as important as Hurt's Doctor? Those who don't already know him can come to be interested in him at least as easily as they can become interested in Hurt's Doctor.

I have no complaints about an acting titan like Hurt being in DW but if his character (assuming he's a Doctor) comes at the expense of a 'classic' Doctor, I think it's a bit of a wasted opportunity. I think a story like that might be better told within a regular series run.

8. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The difference is that John Hurt is, to use your words, an acting titan, and Paul McGann (although he's very good as the Doctor, particularly in the better Big Finish audios) is not. I'm not sure I buy this "secret Doctor" notion, except possibly as a fake-out, but from a promotional perspective, "One of Britain's most famous actors plays a past Doctor" is a bigger deal than "the 'I' from Withnail and I plays a past Doctor."

Anyway, whatever role Hurt is playing, I doubt it's at the expense of a classic Doctor. It'll turn out that what Hurt's character is doing couldn't, for plot reasons, have been done by McGann or Davison or whoever.

On a related note, I think people need to let go of the idea that this being marketed as the 50th anniversary special means it's more likely or more obligated to integrate the classic series in some way. Unfortunately, "50th anniversary" is more a marketing opportunity, a brand, than a content description. It's an excuse to sell more merchandise and do one more "event" episode of the current version of the series, with the same indifference to 1963-1996 as ever. I wish it could be different, but the popular perception of one continuous series that allowed big continuity fests in 1973, 1983, and 1993 no longer exists.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  9. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

So what happened exactly? Did I imagine the Ice Warrior last week? And the HADS reference? And when the Doctor talked about his granddaughter the week before that? And oh, we had UNIT the week before, right? It was all in my mind, is that what you're saying? :lol:

10. Captaindemotion

I suspect you're probably right about the 'secret Doctor' (or not) point (though might some misdirection there not be a bit too close to The Next Doctor Xmas special from a few years ago?).

I'm not necessarily sure I agree with you about the publicity that Hurt brings as oppose to that which McGann would bring. By and large, the people who have no idea that Paul McGann was the 8th Doctor probably don't know who John Hurt is either. And those who know who Hurt is but aren't interested in DW won't necessarily tune in just because he happens to be in it. I think the return of any Doctor to the show tends to get a lot of publicity, in the same way that when the show brought back the Daleks, Cybermen, Davros, The Master etc it garnered a lot of publicity.

Yeah, I think that's very likely. If that is the case, his presence won't bother me at all; indeed, if the rumours are true about his role, they probably have cast someone other than the classic Doctors for this very reason. But it would bother me if I think that the role was essentially interchangeable with a classic Doctor. But no point speculating just yet.

I don't agree with this at all. We have had references to the classic Doctors and their pictures onscreen, we've had Sarah Jane back, we've had references to the Brigadier and his offspring, the return of classic villains etc.

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Exactly my thoughts as well! Nicely said! :)

12. Captaindemotion

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Just to chime in, I think the new series, both under RTD and Moffat has been very respectful of the classic series. Yes RTD steered clear of a lot in the early days, but that was clearly intentional to reintroduce the character with as little baggage as possible, and once he'd done this he gradually introduced more and more of the show's history into the modern incarnation.

Don't get me wrong, nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Peter Davison pootling around the universe with Ten and Eleven, but just because that isn't going to happen it doesn't mean the anniversary special is going out of it's way to disrespect the classic series, and at the risk of flogging a dead horse I'll cite Star Trek again. Trials and Tribbleations had no new footage of original series cast members in it, Flashback did, yet I know which was the more enjoyable, and the more reverential.

14. Captaindemotion

That's a fair comparison/ example, so I'm not tired of you mentioning it again. However, at the risk of pre-judging the anniversary special, none of the Trek 30th specials dispensed with the TOS crew and opted to introduce, e.g. James Caan as an Enterprise Captain we'd never heard of before!

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Fair point, although we don't know for sure Hurt is a new Doctor....

17. Captaindemotion

^ I know. I was being a little provocative there!

I really do want to enjoy the special. I think I'll sit back and try to enjoy it for what it is, not for what I think it should be.

18. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Is it too much to hope that the ginger hidden behind David is the one and only Donna Noble?

19. Mr Awe

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. And totally agree that both RTD and Moffat have been very respectful towards the original series.

The only thing I'd add is to your Star Trek analogy. As it worked out, yes, Trials and Tribbleations was better. However, it needn't have been that way. It all comes down to execution. If Flashback had been executed better, we might be holding that up today as evidence that the classic actors must appear.

In the end, I just want a good story that is well executed. My preference is that such a story includes the original actors. However, if it doesn't and it's still a good story, I won't be complaining! :)

Mr Awe

20. Mr Awe

The little bit of cheek bone that we see would suggest that it's not Tate.

Mr Awe