3D interiors in Blender

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rekkert, Apr 21, 2017.

1. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, that's where the screen goes for movie night.

Rekkert and Bernard Guignard like this.
  2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Jesus, Rekkert. That's gorgeous!

3. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

Oh absolutely, that back wall is certainly not done @Matthew Raymond. An MSD will probably go there... though the movie night screen isn't a bad idea... :p

@Donny: Thanks, glad you think so! :)

Progress on the Frontier's been a bit slow as I'm having to redesign the aft corridors to fit the bridge shape, so there's nothing worth showing on that front today. However...

I recently rediscovered an old backup of my PC circa 2010, with all my old SketchUp models in it. Of particular note was the nearly complete mesh of Bernd Scheider's USS Buenos Aires that I had been working on at that time. Eventually the complex shape was too much for my SketchUp knowledge and it's what directly lead to me start learning 3DS Max. Anyway, with the help of Scragnog I was able to get the model to open with Blender (I couldn't do it myself thanks to the fact that SU has no Linux version).

[​IMG]

I might revisit the exterior model someday, but the current version would have to be completely scratched and I don't have the free time to embark on such an endeavor right now.

Anyway, I started my third iteration of the Buenos Aires bridge today, which is logically based on the same structure as the USS Anchorage bridge, as it's from the same class. I modified several aspects of the bridge however, such as making the viewscreen a more organic shape, and adding chamfers to most straight edges, to try and bring this old bridge a bit up to spec with my newer meshes.

On the design area, I wanted to try out a more unique conn/ops style console, and go back to a darker, metallic look for this bridge. It's not entirely finished, but I'd say it's very near competition. Pending feedback, of course. :)

By the way, the area between the conn/ops consoles and the viewscreen might appear like a big waste of space, but it's actually smaller than the space between the consoles and the viewscreen on the Enterprise-D. So, it's a waste of space with precedent. :lol:

Also, I've started very preliminary work on another interior for the Buenos Aires. If you look closely at the ship render above, you'll notice a clue as to what this other interior might be. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Captain's Chair: No one lurking over your shoulder. Adjustable headrest. Theater seating. Nice. :techman:

Rekkert likes this.
  5. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love it all! :)
    Okay, lattest one, the Helm/ops station, really does look like its the Tng stations with that middle part, looks off to me. I think maybe, remove the side thingy's and just use a center "stand thingy" ( the proper word escapes me.. the part conncecting the panel to the floor) You can use the same thingy, just move it to center, and have the seats branch off from the center thingy.
    off the wall.. change that center connector and make it a small replicator.. for orange soda.. :)

6. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Just noticed the bathroom shower hand holds for the elderly crew members. Thoughtful.

Jedman67 and Rekkert like this.
  7. Nevets

Nevets Cadet Newbie

Ref. Frontier's Bridge

At the back you could have a nice big double door that leads into a conference lounge or (if it's an admirals ship) a ready room.

Matthew Raymond likes this.
  8. Rekkert

@Henoch: The way it's mean to be. :p

@valkyrie013: I actually tried that, but I ended up not liking it haha.

@Nevets: I like that idea quite a lot for the Frontier! I'll pass it along to see what my client thinks! :)

I changed the colors on the carpets, handrails, and LCARS of the Buenos Aires, to make it all look a bit more cohesive. Here's the finished bridge:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That Nav/Helm set-up has grown on me. Love that bridge

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The Captain looks lonely! :D

Nice work!

11. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

I like the overall shape and the center bit in general, it feels like a predecessor to the Prometheus design. Not entirely sold on the center stations, I like the idea but the side supports feel a bit odd, especially since it looks like they should still be able to move but clearly can't since they're joined with the center bit.

12. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder how often the Nav and Helm officers go around the front and hop down to their stations instead of walking past the Captain and getting looks.

Norsehound likes this.
  13. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just two good helmsman, never meaning no harm, beats all you ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day they was born. Plotting the course, the only way they know how....

Sibyl and cardinal biggles like this.
  14. Rekkert

@ashefivekay: :D

@137th Gebirg: The Captain looks lonely? Good. :devil:

@The Librarian: Mmm, that's a good point I hadn't considered, I might modify the helm so that the side supports are directly connected to the console rather than still having the pivot between the two.

@FormerLurker: Why would they get looks? I measured the space at the sides of the Captain's chair and it's actually twice as wide as the similar space on the TUC Ent-A bridge, which we saw Chekov and Valeris walk through all the time, despite the fact that they had the front facing steps.

[​IMG]

137th Gebirg likes this.
  15. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

He means the helm and nav officers stepping over thier consoles and sitting in the chairs, I think. I know I'd do that and probably get looks from the captain. But then, Starfleet is no stranger to officers having unique approaches to sitting in chairs ;)

The helm and nav consoles bother me too because of the tight space both officers have to enter before sitting down.

Jedman67 likes this.
  16. Rekkert

The chairs rotate on their base, just as they do on TNG, so people sit first, and face the front second. I've measured things when building the console, and there's plenty of room for both officers to sit at the same time. :)

[​IMG]

17. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

So is it the regular angled TNG base, front and back? The front part seems kind of unnecessary if the consoles are going to sit flush against that forward pit area.

TOMFAN likes this.
  18. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can imagine the Captain shouting "Red Alert", and two ensigns run to their station at the same time and bang their knees together as they try to get into their seats. Later on, the ensigns get Purple Hearts. (Now that I think about it, that's something that could actually happen. My father once told about how, back in 'Nam, one of the soldiers in his platoon got a Purple Heart for getting hit in the rear by shrapnel from his own grenade.)

Rekkert likes this.
  19. Rekkert

Progress has been rather slow, as a combination of... complications on another project and overall burnout took a toll on me last week; so I've been working on some new stuff for myself. Expect updates to be rather slow for a few more days, I just need a change of pace. I'll be expanding on what I'm working on right now in a new thread.

That being said, I did some more work on the Frontier, starting to add back the LCARS, and changing the ceiling colors to better match the rest of the bridge. The support struts are now beige, with the central area of each being the same wood as the horseshoe.

[​IMG]

20. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Burn out is the worst, so many of my projects were left unfinished because I tried to keep up a constant fast pace, so definitely slow down if you're feeling like it's getting to be a chore. That said, I'm loving what you done so far with this bridge, and look forward to your other projects too :)