3D interiors in Blender

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rekkert, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

@Matthew Raymond: Yeah, I get what you mean, that's an issue of reusing the Odyssey ceiling For this particular bridge we're not planing on changing that though.

@starfleettanner: Well... nothing's confirmed yet, but it might be my very next commission once I'm done with the Frontier. :)

I've swapped the aft light scones with modify versions of the Ent-E columns. These will be alert indicators as on the TNG bridge, and will further tie together the back and front parts of the bridge.

Also, I've added the two smaller panels on the tactical console, plus I've modified the ceiling to continue the ribbed motif on the light panels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rekkert

Some more work on the aft section, tweaking the ceiling and adding some more lights there, plus modeling the little corridors that come out of the back. These are quite small because there's not much room in there given the expanded side consoles.

I've also added some subtle vertical lines on the walls with the Ent-D brig details, to add a break point for the detailing at floor level, which before kinda just stopped and looked glued on top. I've added the same cut line to the front of the bridge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

@Rekkert, very impressed by the newest changes. Feels much brighter and open, and finally feels like there's something back there behind the bridge.

Rekkert likes this.
  4. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

so.. no space toilet right behind the door.. with the 3 sea shells.. :rommie:
    Looking quite nice sir!

Rekkert and Jedman67 like this.
  5. Rekkert

@Matthew Raymond: Thanks! Glad you're liking the changes there, as I wasn't happy with how it was looking before myself. :)

@valkyrie013: I would assume there's a bathroom in there on the way to the conference lounge. :p

I've added the circuitry access panels on the front of the bridge, plus I've modified the floor level lights to use the pattern from the Nemesis conference lounge. Unless I'm missing something, the only modeling bit still left to be done are the Ent-E style command chairs, which I've been dreading doing. :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Donny, valkyrie013, TOMFAN and 3 others like this.
  6. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

You probably already know this, but there's a blueprint for the command chair available.

7. EchoSierraPi

EchoSierraPi Ensign Newbie

I like the original design of this bridge, but I feel like it's all over the place in regards to what era of Trek it exists in. I see some elements of TNG season 3 through DS9, & Nemesis. If this starship was launched around the time of Nemesis I wouldn't expect the TNG carpet or those port and starboard panels with displays. Just my personal taste. I do like the Nemesis floor panel lights and horseshoe.

8. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

Going off of what Lt. Washburn said the blueprint for the chair is located at:
    http://archive.frogland.co.uk/uploads/big/9794e8e57ffbc4f052d2afa3f9ed87ca.png

I kind of agree with some of the things that EchoSierraPi said. I think the carpet is fine, matches the color scheme, but I do think that I prefer the previous floor light panels to the new nemesis ones. The design reminded me of a more "tactical" version of the Raven bridge.

Now that you are saying you are going to do Nemesis style command chairs, Nemesis style floor lights... might as well give it Nemesis style helm and ops consoles, and give it a more Nemesis style view screen, and replace the upholstery around the hall and doors with more nemesis stylized ones (with the metal between them).

However, as this is a commission it is worth noting to those who do not regularly follow Rekkert's thread that a lot of the style choices go to whomever requested this.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    cardinal biggles likes this.
  9. Rekkert

@Lt. Washburn: Yes, I know the one, however I guess it was a concept drawing more than anything else, because it's very different to the finished chair. Still, it'll be useful for the general dimensions if nothing else.

@EchoSierraPi: The ship's supposed to be a Galaxy class launched in 2371, along the same time as the Enterprise-E. While I do agree that it's "all over the place" rather than following just one canon ship motif, it really isn't much of a stretch if you think about the timeframe. The Nemesis aspects were first seen in First Contact, and that's in 2373, just 7 years after TNG season 3. We saw ships launched 3 years later than that using TNG style consoles (the USS Sao Paulo), plus we've seen ships with all sort of color combinations in between (hell, the Odyssey had lilac chairs!).

Starfleet seems to leave a lot of design decisions up to each construction crew (or maybe it's Captain's discretion). We've seen a lot of ships launched the very same year with completely different styles, like Voyager and the Enterprise-E (they were designed at different times IRL, but due to the Ent-E's shakedown time mentioned in First Contact, their canon launch dates are pretty much the same). Plus we've seen a lot of reuse of "old style" elements in newer ships, The Ent-E reuses several elements from the original Enterprise refit and the Excelsior bridges, including those light sconces that were all over the ship. The "brand new, only 3 people know how to fly it" Prometheus has an almost 100 years old bridge module with a slight redress.

Plus, as @batboy853 said, in the end it's my client's decision, and while they didn't go for a "let's copy this canon ship's style to the letter" approach, I'd say it still fits rather well in the early 2370's era.

I've started work on the graphics, finishing the door labels and the alert indicators.

[​IMG]

10. EchoSierraPi

EchoSierraPi Ensign Newbie

I guess it does speak louder about how the shows didn't share design decisions. It just different to see the styles all on one bridge. But it all comes down to what the client wants in the end.

11. Rekkert

I've worked on the aft area graphics, including the MSD. I was able to chose the registry number for the ship, with the only requisite being that it should be higher than those from the first-batch Galaxy-Class ships we know from canon. Given that, and that the Frontier's mission in my client's fan-fiction is to travel to the Andromeda galaxy and establish a second Federation there, I've chosen NCC-72161, alluding to the year the Federation was founded.

[​IMG]

Matthew Raymond and TOMFAN like this.
  12. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Looks nice.

13. Rekkert

@The Librarian: Thanks! :)

I've finish work on the tactical console, adding in a black stripe across it and the LCARS displays.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Love what you've done with the tactical console. Very nice job!

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  15. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

That's a really great tactical console, the upper half feels like it could actually display a useful amount of data about the ship's surroundings, while there's still plenty of controls to operate the systems. It's a nice way to do that without having a large secondary screen like the side stations.

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  16. Rekkert

@Donny: Thanks mate! :)

@The Librarian: Thanks! Indeed, it's a very large console, so better use some as a display. :)

I've started to work on the side LCARS, bringing some over from the Challenger and tweaking them when necessary.

[​IMG]

17. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

Out of curiosity do you ever have the inkling to branch into discovery bridges? Or attempt to do stuff from the Kelvin universe?

18. TrekMD

TrekMD Captain Captain

Those are gorgeous images!

Rekkert likes this.
  19. Rekkert

@Norsehound: Oh I would absolutely be into that if it becomes possible. I quite like the Disco aesthetic (though it's a bit on the generic side), and while I hate the "Apple store" bridge of the reboot Enterprise, the USS Kelvin bridge is one of my all time favorites.

@TrekMD: Thanks! :)

Started work on the new chairs. I've done the base, and hope to start on the actual chair bits later today. The stand itself is very short when compared to the old one, so the new chairs will stand a lot lower.

The rough TNG beige material doesn't seem to make this shape as much justice as the Ent-E metallic material does though.

[​IMG]

20. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Couldn't agree more about the Kelvin, both inside and out, it's a perfect combination of update and reimagining of what a TOS era ship should be.

Anyway, this is shaping up to be another great looking bridge. I was a real fan of the Galaxy bridge you did previously, but this serves as a nice 'bridge' (hehe) between the Ent D and Ent E aesthetics.
    There was a fan made ship made ages ago that did much the same thing for a ship exterior. I believe it was called the Ascension Class by a guy called DM Phoenix. I could well imagine this being the bridge of that sort of ship.

Rekkert likes this.