3D interiors in Blender

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rekkert, Apr 21, 2017.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Well he IS fully functional. :whistle:

Beautiful work on the Galaxy!

TOMFAN likes this.
  2. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I cannot permit this to continue. (* Raise his Varon-T Disruptor to fire... *)

Rekkert and 137th Gebirg like this.
  3. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

@Norsehound: Indeed! The Enterprise-D was certainly destroyed before its time. :(

@SCE2Aux: Thanks to you for checking it out! :)

Regarding the cleaning bit, the ships are supposed to be self cleaning. I believe this is actually mentioned in an episode, but the Technical Manual goes into a lot of detail about how dirt is detected and transported away to one of several recycling centers where it's turned into matter for the replicator systems.

I've added in the keypads (which are the same model as on the Ent-E) and extinguishers. I've also removed the vertical blue lights, though I haven't added the alert indicator LCARS there yet.

[​IMG]

4. Rekkert

I've added a ton of other small details all over. The conn/ops consoles now have a light underneath again, ribbed like the other floor level light sources. I've also added keypads to the weapon lockers, LCARS to the alert indicators, and swapped out several components on the viewscreen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

very nice. I feel like the coloring is a little too monochrome, but if you add some more interesting lighting i'm sure I"ll love it.
    Oh, make sure to put a fire extinguisher next to the captains seat, in case the XO starts rambling off...

6. Rekkert

@Jedman67: After seeing them in place, we pretty much all agreed on the monochrome bit. The alert indicators were thus changed to orange (using the same colors as the TNG bridge). These are just like the ones on the 2360 and 2365 version of the bridge, so that's some visual continuity through the eras there.

Other than that, I've modified the wall LCARS a bit to add the "spinner" style d-pad we saw so much on Voyager and the Ent-E to the keyboard area.

That's a wrap for this bridge, stay tuned for the finished renders! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jedman67, TOMFAN, Jesse1066 and 6 others like this.
  7. Schimpfy

Schimpfy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Gorgeous work, @Rekkert . I absolutely love it.

8. Rekkert

@Schimpfy: Thanks, glad you like it! :)

Here are the finished renders!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. TOMFAN

TOMFAN Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fantastic as ever!

It's amazing the difference adding those stations at either side, and not just having the blank panels, really makes to the bridge. It makes it feel more 'meatier' somehow, and it just makes the bridge seem more solid and purposeful.

SCE2Aux likes this.
  10. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

I'm liking all your Galaxy bridges, but I was curious why you retain the carpeted base under the Conn/Ops stations? I've always thought that was a bit of a fudge most likely to account for stability, wear and tear to both the carpeted floor as well as the bottom edges of the console, and to cover electrical connections which were occasionally visible early in the show. Whenever I imagine idealized versions of the bridge, I omit these bases.

11. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To get the shots they wanted they'd also prop these up at angles or put bricks under them to raise them enough for the shot. There's a great behind the scenes shot with Levar Buton crouched down under the camera while his station has been lifted up by bricks so they can get a shot of Spiner and McFadden along the side of the bridge.

Found it

[​IMG]

Granted this was PRE platform carpeted base but I imagine this is why.

TOMFAN likes this.
  12. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

BTW, those "bricks" are called "apple boxes" in the industry. There are essentially four sizes, full, half, quarter, and pancake.

What you see here are half apple boxes and in the foreground is a full.

https://americangrip.com/product-category/wood-products/apple-boxes/

13. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Commander Red Shirt

FYI, this is what the USS Galaxy on the outside looks like in 2376:
    [​IMG]

After the Dominion War, the ship received an extensive refit making her once again the pinnacle of technology. Among these included Krayne Systems AC-16 bioneural computer cores used in the Sovereign-class, General Electric Propulsion's Type 9 matter/antimatter reactor made specifically for the refit, regenerative shielding as used on the Prometheus class as well as ablative armor. The phaser arrays have been upgraded to Type XII-HEF (High Energy Focus), a variant of the Type XII phaser arrays adjusted for higher output, and the torpedo launchers have been changed to rapid fire quantum launchers. In separated flight mode, the ship has on the cobra head four Class II rapid fire phaser pulse cannons, a more powerful variant of the ones used on the Defiant-class. They are seen here:

[​IMG]

Matthew Raymond and Sibyl like this.
  14. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Just to add to this, given the shot shown, is that it's a common technique in filmmaking to use apple boxes (or whatever's handy) to raise elements that will be in the shot. It's literally called "cheating the shot". ;)

15. Rekkert

@TOMFAN: Thanks! Indeed, while I get Probert's original idea for the bridge, IMO the base TNG bridge just doesn't do a good job in conveying a command center for us 21th century humans. :)

@Lt. Washburn: Well, simply put it's part of that console in my eyes. Besides you'll notice that all the side console chairs are also raised slightly on a carpeted platform (as they were on the Enterprise-E), so it gives a bit more of a cohesive look. :)

Regarding the apple boxes, they were used all the time for pretty much everything. Here in BoBW you can clearly see its use when Picard, Riker and Worf needed to appear on the same shot. Notice how tall Picard's chair is on the closeup when compared to the tactical console support.

I have a feeling that they realized this early on, and it's the reason why they changed the command chairs from the wall mounted versions used on season 1, as they couldn't raise those as easily. Then for Generations the steps might have been added for the same reason, easier framing.

Wide angle:
    [​IMG]
    Closeup:
    [​IMG]

16. EchoSierraPi

EchoSierraPi Ensign Newbie

For that shot I wish they would have just added the steps seen in "Generations" to the command seating area during the shows run on television.

17. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now just a minute, here! This thread's for INteriors!

18. TOMFAN

TOMFAN Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Afer the show had finished, I seem to remember one of the designers (possibly Herman Zimmerman), saying that they realised early on that there wasn't enough visually "going on" on the bridge, and that they should've had more computers/screens, and not just the stations at the back. But, by that time it was too late to change anything, either because of the cost, or the producers wouldn't allow it.

19. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I remember hearing something similar. IIRC, it had less to do with the cost of permanently revamping the bridge set, and more to do with the cost of "Gee, we have these new stations, now we have to pay X number of additional extras to stand at them."

TOMFAN likes this.
  20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Seeing all these great bridge shots reminds how much more of the Galaxy I wanted to see post TNG. Don't get me wrong, I love the Sovereign class, but I feel like we lost the E-D too soon.