3D interiors in Blender

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rekkert, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Premium Member

Dang. For a moment, I thought there were new pictures :lol:Hope all is going well.

Rekkert and Commander Troi like this.
  2. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone, it's really an exciting thing to be a part of! :D

While I'm certainly quite busy and haven't been able to work on anything that I could show from the Roddenberry Archive, I am now able to show another project I worked on at the end of last year, as it's been publicly announced (even though it isn't "Fan Art" this time haha).

The people at EXO-6 contacted me about creating a 3D background for a replica of the Enterprise-E Captain's chair they were working on. Their idea is to sell the 3D background I did printed on foldable cardboard, so that you can place it behind the chair for display. It's certainly a cool idea if you ask me so I jumped at the opportunity. They are planning more chairs though I won't be working on those, mainly once again due to my commitments to the Roddenberry Archive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  3. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Screenwriter | Award-Winning Journalist Premium Member

Congrats on working with the Roddenberry archives! That’s awesome. Also on doing stuff with EXO!

Rory1707, Rekkert and publiusr like this.
  4. Rekkert

Well, it's been a while...

Slowly getting the hang of managing my times with the Archive work, I'm starting to get back into doing some personal projects during the weekends when I have the motivation to do so. Nothing major planned or anything, just some quick redresses for the time being to see how I'm able to handle it.

I'm tackling the Potemkin transporter room first, which is just a redress of the TNG transporter room I already modeled. I actually started this one years ago, doing stuff like the new raised platform for the transporter console and the color choices back then, but I hit a wall in trying to making it unique enough and left it there. I tried again this past week with a fresh perspective and ended up doing some substantial changes: I rotated the little side room 90°, making it slightly smaller and removing the side corridor entirely; I added some handrails between said side room and the transporter pad, to make accessing the side controls harder unless you're doing so from the transporter console area); I changed said transporter console stand to the bulkier "cargo bay" version, as I think it fits better with an older ship (plus it's a callback to the protective alcove of the 23rd century transporter rooms).

Finally, the transporter itself got a new color and pattern for the wall lights. I tried a ton of variations on the theme, and originally I had the lights pink rather than the purplish hue I ended up going for. It was hard to come up with something that still felt TNG while not just being the same pattern yet again.

Let me know your thoughts on it, I'm happy with how it's looking, but I'll give it a day or two to see if anything jumps out at me as needing changing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks fine to me. :mallory:

Rekkert likes this.
  6. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

That purple backsplash gives a lovely mood to the room, I'd say.

Rekkert likes this.
  7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Premium Member

God...I miss the TNG era

Great job as always!

Rekkert likes this.
  8. Rory1707

Rory1707 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Nicely done my friend!

Rekkert likes this.
  9. Rekkert

Thanks for the comments everyone! I did end up making one change to the room: I made the forward section of the transporter interior itself the same dark grey color as the exterior, instead of the light grey it was before. I think it works better this way. Here are the finished renders:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rory1707, Nays, StarCruiser and 6 others like this.
  10. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

Amazing work as always, I'm glad to see that you are still able to work on your own projects while working on the OTOY stuff.

11. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Great work, the darker pannels work well. :mallory::techman:

12. Nays

Nays Lieutenant Red Shirt