3D interiors in Blender

Oh my god, that's brilliant! Bravo, @Rekkert and @scragnog! I've never seen someone do this and now I'm not sure why this kind of thing isn't done more often. It's incredible just how much realism this adds to the footage. It's like someone sneaked on the set in the after hours and filmed with their Video 8 camera. Does it only feel like that or is the virtual camera actually hand operated? Is this some Oculus Rift magic or something like that?
Yes, the camera was indeed hand operated, @scragnog wanted to experiment with a way to use his phone as a movement tracker, and later import those movements into Unreal. No idea how he did it or what software he used, I'm sure he can give further details.

Indeedy! Yeah Unreal Engine has a great plugin called Live Link which allows you to use your iPhone (or any other compatible device) to control camera movements, and even do facial mocap, it's really cool tech.

The one thing that I couldn't understand is how it actually tracked the movement of my phone in 3D space, like there's a bit where the camera moves closer to one of the consoles in the video, how is it able to determine that the phone has actually moved in world space? Rotation I can understand (gyroscopes/accelerometers etc) but physical movement.... no clue! It's wizardry I tell you!

Indeedy! Yeah Unreal Engine has a great plugin called Live Link which allows you to use your iPhone (or any other compatible device) to control camera movements, and even do facial mocap, it's really cool tech.

The one thing that I couldn't understand is how it actually tracked the movement of my phone in 3D space, like there's a bit where the camera moves closer to one of the consoles in the video, how is it able to determine that the phone has actually moved in world space? Rotation I can understand (gyroscopes/accelerometers etc) but physical movement.... no clue! It's wizardry I tell you!
Whatever it is, it's damn cool. :techman:

Got some exciting news today: starting next month I'll be working full time for OTOY on The Roddenberry Archive! Of course I won't be able to share my work for them here (or anywhere else), but I will continue to work on both commissions and personal projects when time allows. I'll also be offering refunds to my current commission clients if they chose to, as this obviously changes the time frame for their completion. Anyway, exciting stuff ahead! :D

Back