3D interiors in Blender

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rekkert, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Ahh my reply to your quote above was an unfinished draft of a reply I started typing this morning and then abandoned. :lol: I didn’t mean to sound so curt, it must’ve loaded up the draft unbeknownst to me and posted when I replied to Rekkert’s new renders.

I was just gonna say that I doubt that the series would’ve gotten enough money to build a new full sized shuttle from scratch, but fortune would have it the bigger budgeted STV required a couple for its story, and TNG got to reap the rewards.

Rekkert and cardinal biggles like this.
  2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I thought that was the D-7. Can’t remember clearly enough.

Rekkert likes this.
  3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles Patron Saint of Dangerous Driving Premium Member

The D7 came later, as a result of AMT prodding Trek for another ship they could create a model kit from.

Redshirt214, Rekkert and 137th Gebirg like this.
  4. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

Excellent work as expected.

Rekkert likes this.
  5. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

This close relationship (which made D-7 the most screen accurate replica ever) hasn’t been matched until Has-lab, right?

Everything since has been “best guess”

Rekkert likes this.
  6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

With the E-C bridge I'm wondering if you'll be adding a chair or two to the weird freestanding console between helm/tactical and the viewscreen, I've always thought it might've been for ops (though the height and location would make it awkward for someone standing there all shift).

Rekkert and Tomalak like this.
  7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I always wondered about that console. I assumed it was just for static display of information, like the TOS astrogator.

Rekkert and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  8. cardinal biggles

Rekkert likes this.
  9. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some fan-made schematics show that front console as meant to be crewed at all times and even with chairs, but we see no evidence of those in the episode. My head-canon is that the console's a mix of a 'Master System Display' and an 'Emergency Manual Override' station. When not in use, it just shows general information, but when needed it can take the role of another console on the bridge.

Hence why Castillo was there when we first see him, yet takes the TNG style conn later when the ship is somewhat repaired. At the beginning of that very same scene we see that Castillo and Yar are briefly checking weapon status on the front console, meaning that as the proper TNG style conn got repaired, said front console returned to its original configuration as a systems display. At least that's my interpretation of it.

Still, it's all speculation. I'd love to find any sort of behind the scenes photo that shows this console (particularly the front end, I'm not sure the TFF style light wasn't covered up with something else to redress it a bit), but there seems to be nothing; I spent most of my free time yesterday looking through old magazine scans to try and find anything.

10. Rekkert

More work filling up the okudagrams at the back stations, I have yet to do a ton of new graphics here. I also (re)did the tactical and helm graphics, which means all of the work that I had done two years ago for this bridge but that was lost is now redone, all that's left is the new stuff!

But that'll have to wait a bit, I only yesterday noticed this month's challenge is time travel related, so I'll try and do a render with a damaged version of this bridge and the Ent-D on the viewscreen (he says, on the 30th of the month). :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. cardinal biggles

Any console that's currently blank is damaged. Problem solved! :p

blssdwlf and Rekkert like this.
  12. Rekkert

@cardinal biggles: Oh absolutely! We saw the front console offline at the beginning of the episode, so that's exactly what I'm planning to do. :D

Here's how the shot is looking so far. I've added some volumetric fog and emmissive fires into the scene, as well as some depth of field to the camera. I still have to add a ton more debris around the front console, as well as some damage to the okudagram panels around the screen. The one thing I wish I could add but I certainly won't even try with the limited time is people (well, bodies).

The viewscreen shot of the Ent-D is taken from Generations, though flipped and rotated around in order to match the overall angle seen in Yesterday's Enterprise; the noise on the image is added via nodes in Blender.

This is my first time trying most of these things, so feedback and suggestions are super welcome!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  13. cardinal biggles

Looks like you're off to a good start!

Rekkert likes this.
  14. Donny

Looks good so far! I think some scorch marks/soot/charring/smudging on the walls/consoles would go a long way at rounding out the damage details, and adding some needed contrast visible on the walls through the fog. Perhaps through the use of deferred decals, or whatever Blender's analogous is?
    Maybe not as heavy as on the Constellation, but along those lines: https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/epics/TNG-S1/S1E9/TNG-S1E9-137.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  15. cardinal biggles

Rekkert likes this.
  16. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

Nice update.

Rekkert likes this.
  17. Rekkert

I've added more random scrap at the front of the bridge (including of course an I-beam); some cables dangling from the ceiling; scorch marks and smoke covering up the okudagrams at the sides of the screen, and of course small rocks scattered all over the floor.

I am considering what to do with the front console's main panel. I probably won't "smash it" as they did on the Stargazer, simply due to time. Maybe I'll see about creating the standard okudagram for it and then do an "emergency" version with alarms and more red.

[​IMG]

18. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Commander Red Shirt

No starship is truly damaged until there are random bits of the ubiquitous grating present. Good job!

Gibraltar, Finn, Rekkert and 2 others like this.
  19. Donny

O
    Oh, now that’s just beautiful!

Rekkert likes this.
  20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that only applied when rocks flew across the bridge :lol:

SolarisOne, Gibraltar, Finn and 3 others like this.