3D interiors in Blender

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rekkert, Apr 21, 2017.

1. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

Nice work.

Rekkert likes this.
  2. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

@Lt. Washburn: Absolutely! They must have an industrial replicator above the bridge, and when the ship gets damaged it malfunctions and starts replicating random stuff. :p

@Donny: Glad you think so! It's almost there!

@Bry_Sinclair: The rocks come first, then the grating to make sure people can walk on top of the rocks. :p

@CaptainSerek: Thanks! :)

And now for something completely different, last week I was interviewed for a piece on Star Trek chairs for Fast Company, particularly about the Ex Astris Scientia list where we're trying to compile all of the off-the-shelf chairs used. You can read the article here. When I told them I was a 3D modeler and why I started with that list back in the Stage 9 days, the conversation kinda shifted towards that, so it ended up being a cool experience talking about my passion here haha. I tried to make it clear that I was by no means the only one responsible for all the work and research that goes into this, but most of those passages got cut, still, I hope the point comes across. TrekBBS even got a mention and a link for all the Ergoform Workseat saga!

3. Spaceship Jo

Spaceship Jo Commander Red Shirt

That article came out great! And your intent was definitely clear regarding the shared credit.

Rekkert likes this.
  4. Rekkert

@Spaceship Jo: Thanks, it's good to know haha, I was worried the finished piece didn't reflect that enough.

I worked on the front console for the Ent-C bridge. After several different ideas, I went with a mix of an MSD and a sector map. I originally had the MSD much bigger, but it didn't look right being right next to a panel with a large side schematic of the ship, it was too similar. So I made it smaller and placed it on the opposite side of the console.

With this finished graphic, here's the final render for the art challenge image. It's mostly identical to the last update, but I tweaked the lighting and the other okudagrams a bit more. Also, it's the first image I render in 1440p, so make sure to open it up to see it in full. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Look at you, getting all famous and stuff. :techman:

6. CaptainSerek

Nice update.

Rekkert likes this.
  7. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

Congratulations on the article. Looks like several other web sites have reposted it, popped up in my google news feed just now!

Rekkert likes this.
  8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Wonderful job! It's a shame we didn't get to see the Ambassador Class outside of that episode.

SolarisOne, Bry_Sinclair and Rekkert like this.
  9. Rekkert

@cardinal biggles: lol, with my social anxiety that would actually be a nightmare. :p

@CaptainSerek: Thanks! :)

@batboy853: Thanks! lol, I had no idea, so cool!

@Finn: Well, we briefly saw some other Ambassadors (including interiors for the Excalibur and Horatio) but barely anything in comparison to the Enterprise-C. A shame really, I would've loved to see more of this class, even if just in the background on DS9.

I spent yesterday remodeling the keyboard area on the aft consoles, and today I've finished the okudagrams for its second row of panels. The mesh of the bridge structure itself dates back to the USS Zodiac bridge of 2017, my seventh bridge model in Blender. So even if I did my best back then, it wasn't up to par with my current work. I had already retouched other parts of the bridge for this Enterprise-C project, but those aft stations were still the same until now.

[​IMG]

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

The best peek we probably ever got was the New Frontier: Double Time comic (which I've never read, so I don't know how much of the ship it actually shows), which is the only NF comic set on the Ambasssador-class Excalibur.

SolarisOne and Rekkert like this.
  11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I was never a huge fan of the Enterprise-C bridge, built out of the battle bridge and other TNG pieces. I get that they couldn't design something a bit more elaborate for a bridge of the week, especially since they had to heavily redress the main bridge.

I'd like to think that the Ent-C's main bridge was damaged and they were in that ship's battle bridge. :)

Nevertheless, @Rekkert has done the most fabulous job recreating it!

Rekkert likes this.
  12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The Ambassador-Class is definitely my favourite "capital ship". She just has such a substantial design, not as top heavy as the Galaxy or as slanted as the Sovereign, she just looks like a ship that is a workhorse.

It really is a shame she never appeared in the Dominion War (same goes for the classes whose wreckage we only glimpsed in the aftermath of Wolf 359).

Rekkert likes this.
  13. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

I kind of feel disappointed with the Ambassador class when I think of how cool the Probert concept was. But that would have been too expensive and time-consuming to build.

Rekkert likes this.
  14. Rekkert

@cardinal biggles: Heh, I revisited Double Time just last week. It is probably one of my favorite pieces of Trek media ever, and I'm already doing some planning for the Excalibur interiors someday. ;)

@Ryan Thomas Riddle: Yeah, that's the head-canon a lot of people have on the matter. I think of it as the bridge because that was the intention and what the script says, even if it is a somewhat underwhelming design. There was a dedication plaque on the set and the door labels read '01' so the set was definitely build as the main bridge as well, but that's easy to dismiss as those details are hardly visible.

@Bry_Sinclair: The Ambassador is growing more and more on me. I always liked the Yamaguchi refit, on the original Ent-C model those tall nacelle pylons make the shape somewhat more awkward IMO. Still, it's a nice ship, definitely a shame we never saw much more of it.

@Lt. Washburn: I actually don't like the Probert concept that much, and I definitely prefer the canon take. There's something about the proportions that just doesn't click with me, and I utterly hate that totally anachronistic Constitution style impulse engine it has. The overall design would've fit better in the lineage, sure; but it very much still feels just like an unfinished piece of concept art to me, like it needed another design pass to iron out the details. IMO Sternbach's original take on the concept is the best of both worlds; more refined yet still retaining that somewhat organic shape for the secondary hull.

I've finished the remaining new graphics for the aft consoles! I'll do a last cleanup and check pass just to make sure I didn't forgot anything, but I think the bridge's now finished!

[​IMG]

15. CaptainSerek

Looks good.

Rekkert likes this.
  16. Redshirt214

Redshirt214 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great work Rekkert! I'm glad you're revisting your Enterprise-C Bridge, it's a really interesting ship. Additionally, I like your proposed "Type-5"... it fits well with the overall lineage of that shuttle design. It makes a great precursor to the new LD shuttles, too, the Type 6A, which is also a sort of stretched, reimagined, Type 6. Makes me want to write a tech manual on the evolution of that shuttle family!

Rekkert likes this.
  17. Rekkert

@Redshirt214: Thanks! Yeah I also got somewhat too obsessed about those shuttles and about fleshing out the lineage somewhat, we'll see how it ends up developing.

Okey, I did have to further clean up the geometry around the viewscreen area, but now it is finished! I also did some red alert renders, why not lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  18. CaptainSerek

Nice Enterprise-C, great work as expected.

Rekkert likes this.
  19. Rekkert

@CaptainSerek: Thanks! :D

I thought about doing the USS Bozeman bridge after the Enterprise-C, being just a light redress. But I just can't with that bridge, it's a continuity mess and my brain stops working if I think about it too hard. The computer displays are out of the 2290's, the consoles are TNG style (even with red labels!) and the ship itself is supposedly from the 2270's (between TMP and TWoK). So... no, just no lol. If they ever do a George Lucas style special edition of TNG, I hope they dub over the era the ship is from, that way I can rest easy at night once again.

Anyway, I still wanted to do another small and rather quick personal project, so I tackled one I've been thinking about for a while: the transporter room of the USS Yeager. Being such a compact ship with allegedly a very small crew (and wanting to do a transporter room that isn't just another redress of the TMP one), I used the second Defiant transporter as inspiration.

In keeping with the other Yeager rooms, I wanted this one to feel cramped and far smaller than what we see in ships of the line. And here's what I came up with, the transporter pad and the wall behind it will be heavily based on the Defiant's (but with Sovereign style coloring), while the rest is a custom design. The control console is taken from the Yeager engineering set, though I will be modifying the LCARS to have proper transporter controls. I had to increase the FOV on the cameras in order to fit in the entire room, being so small it's hard to get it haha. Very early stages as you can see, but all the basic shapes are there. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

The transporter closet!

I'm pretty sure the second defiant transporter room was a redress of the mess hall set.