3 Likes, 3 Dislikes, 3 Surprises, Overall Reaction

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Star Treks, May 9, 2009.

1. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I was very impressed by the silence in space bit, as well.

2. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

This is from somebodies signature, I went back to copy it, because it applies so much to your entire opinion and review, and is spot on, sorry mate, it is, what it is.
    Oh how the truth hurts!

3. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

^^ Yes, that's my signature, which I made my signature because it was the single most appropriate sentence concerning fan reactions in any review I have read.

4. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1) The characters really are just like their original counterparts. McCoy, Chekov and Scotty, particularly.
    2) No reset button. If this was a Berman movie, Vulcan would have been de-exploded somehow.
    3) The movie was just plain exciting

Dislikes:
    1) I would have preferred a total reboot, on par with nuBSG. Make Klingons, Vulcans, etc more alien. I liked the Uhura-Spock romance though.
    2) The ship, particularly the bridge looked too clean and polished. Too many lights. It looked more like an electronics shop than the military vessel. Maybe thats just the affinity for nuBSG talking.
    3) Too much product placement. Nokia cell phones 200 years from now. Budweiser Classics. Sheesh

Surprises:

1) Vulcan stays destroyed. Like I said, in earlier films they would have gone back in time a second time to fix it.
    2) Just how authentic the characters were. It was like watching the actors from TOS.
    3) Uhura Spock romance. Finally, some Star Trek characters who arent asexual.

5. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

^^ That is a dman good quote.

I was thinking earlier about this. I can understand that some people do not like the fact that, alternate timeline/universe notwithstanding, this movie rewrites Trek history a lot.
    The thing is though, the people that hate the new movie for that, could they not even find this movie entertaining in itself? Many things I've read here from people that don't like the violation of canon also said the movie was cheesy garbage aimed at pre-teens. I know it would take a pretty objective person to say that they don't want to see canon violated at all..but darn it that was a great movie anyway!

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

*cough* HOMER *cough*

C'mon. I liked the movie. But don't act like it's "perfect". It wasn't. Good but not great is what I thought leaving the theatre.

7. Eddie Roth

Right, it's what YOU thought. If someone else found it perfect, why can't you accept that? It's all subjective.

8. Eddie Roth

I suppose this is pretty much just those canon-whores' attempt at validating their baseless criticism (I find bashing the movie based on the changes it made to the continuity baseless because the reinvention approach is and always has been its intention. It's like watching a Pixar film and complaining that too much stuff in the movie was CGI, if you get my drift...). So since it's a common cliché that big summer movies are cheesy garbage aimed at pre-teens, it's a ready-made argument these people can easily appropriate for their agenda.

9. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    It is beyond me why anyone would actually want a reset. Come on, resets gut any story, take away all tension and validity, and make danger utterly meaningless. If everything gets "corrected" in the end, then there's no conflict, and conflict is the most important thing in any story, much more so than plot imho.

10. Trek Bob

Trek Bob Ensign Newbie

1) Redesign of the original Enterprise although I dont understand how the original design can change.
    2) The new O'Hura (hot)
    3) The look of the battle scenes

Dislikes:
    1) The new kirk does not talk like the old Kirk. I would think that with every other character trying to sound like the original we would have Kirk try as well.
    2) Some of Spocks dialog seemed forced to make him sound more like a nerd than a vulcan. A vulcan nerd... HA!
    3) Wasn't the enterprise supposed to discover some of the alien races that were apparently already part of Starfleet in this film?

Surprises:
    1) Quinto's resesmblance of the original Spock
    2) The fact that they can now remake all of the original Star Trek episodes to fit the new Vulcan-less universe
    3) Wouldn't future Spock (who already discovered how to travel back in time in "the voyage home" film) find a way to travel back in time to prevent his home planet from being destroyed?? I would

Otherwise, a great film. Definitely loved it.

11. Trek Bob

Trek Bob Ensign Newbie

Actually there is one thing that Im curious about. With the Star Wars franchise, it seemed like in Episodes 1-3 there was a greater level of technology than in Episodes 4-6. So Im wondering if in Star Trek's "prequel" they're gonna make it seem more or less "futuristic" than TNG or any of the other spin-offs. It's gonna be a good balancing act for sure. They have to continually improve and yet it has to seem like it the new series took place even before the original series.

Im looking forward to it since the new alternate universe opens the franchise up to NEW exploration all over again. Just think, they get to invent the Genesis project all over again, they re-encounter the borg, etc. Except, now they have "Future" Spock among them, which is like sending Albert Einstein back in time to talk to Benjamin Franklin. Does this mean that StarFleet will have a marked technical advantage over all the other races. Will old Spock give up all the knowledge he has for the advancement of the Federation? Tune in next time Trek fans for the answer to all these questions...

12. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Finally saw the film today. And was looking forward to posting in this thread. So much so that I'm resurrecting it from page 3 or 4 or something.

3 Likes:

1. Two words: Chris Pine. What a tremendous job he did! I'd had never even heard of the guy before he was cast in this movie, but WOW was he all kinds of awesome! Shatner had left some pretty big shoes to fill, and this kid, much to my shock, totally NAILED it. Couldn't have asked or hoped for a better performance. This kid MADE this movie for me. I mean, the whole film was great, but a failure on Pine's part could easily have destroyed this film. But the kid had guts...and put just enough of Shatner's Kirk into it to be reminiscent of the Kirk we love...while still making this role his own. Big Kudos to Chris Pine!

2. Loved that they made this into an alternative timeline, thus relieving themselves of the incredible weight of Trek canon. I have alot of faith in JJ Abrams, but the weight of Trek canon could easily have been an anchor tied around his neck. Glad he dispensed with that worry from the get-go.

3. The rest of the actors. I thought they all did a great job. Quinto pulled off Spock quite well, and I really liked the re-creations, more or less, of Scotty and Chekov in particular. But an excellent job all around.

3 Dislikes:

1. That it had to end. I LOVED this movie. In fact, I haven't loved new Trek this much since DS9 left the air.

2. Bummed that Spocks mother had to die. I mean, I get why they did it (and agree that it was necessary to provide motivation), but I thought Wynona did a good job with the part she was given and I'd have liked to have seen more of her in that role.

3. Not really a dislike, but that Romulan ship looks too much like a Vorlon Planet Killer to me. :p But that's just the Babylon 5 fan in me, so I can deal.

3 Surprises:

1. Again, two words: Chris Pine. I wanted him to do well. I hoped he would do well. But never in my wildest dreams did I imagine him actually doing THIS well. He totally nailed that part. I can't think of a single criticism of him. Not one. And that is saying alot given whose shoes he was filling here.

2. Zachary Quinto. While not quite as good as Pine, he was nevertheless excellent. In fact, he might have been just as good, but let's face it, Pine's swagger was FUN to watch.

3. Loved Chekov. In TOS, Chekov was always a semi-boring character IMO, and truthfully, I have always liked Walter Konig better as Bester in B5. But this kid was a hoot. I think I could easily warm up to this character now.

13. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

I totally agree with you! Star Trek is dead! It surprises me that so many "fans" will blindly except what ever crap the studio throws at them as Star Trek!

14. TheLonelySquire

TheLonelySquire Vice Admiral

Great casting of virtually everyone. Bones in particular.

The interplay between Kirk, Spock & McCoy. Perfect. Also LOVED TOS-Spock saying "Mongomery Scott...." Freakin Awesome!!!

Kobayashi Maru scene. Best in the entire movie. One of the best in ANY Trek movie.

Dislikes -

Spock got a bit too sappy with the emotion talk for my taste.

Weak villain. Very weak.

Cheesy way Kirk got promoted.

Surprises -

TOS theme music in the closing credits. Awesome.

Just HOW good McCoy was played by Karl Urban.

How great this movie was in IMAX.

***One more thing. I am a Trek purist, yet I cannot understand why some other purists feel so betrayed by this alternate timeline. It doesn't take away from TOS at ALL. Just treat it like it's similar to the Crucible novels, ya know? TOS is still there my friends and it's not going anywhere.***

15. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

1) The epic scale of the thing; not since TMP has Star Trek felt so big, and yes, so emotional. There are real stakes here, people die. And when planets are dead, they stay dead.
    2) The performances. I really think everyone nailed it. (Kudos for casting as well!)
    3) Molding the Trek universe into something that is closer to the zeitgeist of 21st century.

Dislikes:

1) Wanted a little more solid rationale for the Spock-Nero relationship.
    2) The brewery in engineering (Hey, I like pipes, just... a little more ship-like, please.)
    3) The insta-promotion still sticks in my craw - Lt. to Captain I could accept (Custer); cadet to Captain, sorry, just doesn't happen.

Surprises:

1) The humor. Really quite funny, well placed, and such a welcome change after the "jokes" in the TNG films.
    2) The no-reset destruction of Vulcan. Yeah, it's a 9/11 allegory. And you know what? That's fine (see Likes, #3.)
    3) Scotty's henchman! I don't know why I like this dude so much, but I do.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

1 - Zachary Quinto nails Spock.
    2 - The opening scenes aboard the Kelvin.
    3 - The character moments.

Dislikes:

1 - The Kobyashi Maru scenes.
    2 - Odd sense of scale for the ships.
    3 - Scotty.

Suprises:

1 - Liked the bridge more than I would have thought.
    2 - The scenes with Spock and Sarek are great.
    3 - Plot was weaker than even I envisioned it being.

Overall:

Some things I liked, some things I disliked... I think of this as a missed opportunity as far as Star Trek goes. You had a cast tha definitley could have pulled off a true prequel to TOS.

17. Hoshi_Mayweather

Hoshi_Mayweather Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1. The fun and adventure was brought back.
    2. Diversity of the cast.
    3. All the 'regulars' had their chance to shine. nuTOS (lol) hopefully will continue to be an ensemble show.

Dislikes:
    1. It had to end.
    2. It was flawed, but obviously not so much that it detracted from the film.
    3. I dislike that I can't come up with a third reason.

Surprises:
    1. A 'certain' romance, which I'm not opposed to...
    2. Abrams pulled it off...(i.e. revitalizing the franchise).
    3. The use of the original theme in the film, in its entirety.

Overall Impression:
    Bring on the sequel!

The bf and I are going to check it out again soon...